sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a good dividend stock

I am looking for safe/firm stock to purchase that returns a good dividend. Long term hold. I have sold a property and would like to throw the $$$ into the NZ or Aus market. Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated. Cheers in advance.
    Last edited by ThaiJohn; Today at 09:58 AM. Reason: brain no working ploperly

percy

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiJohn View Post
    I am looking for safe/firm stock to purchase that returns a good dividend. Long term hold. I have sold a property and would like to throw the $$$ into the NZ or Aus market. Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated. Cheers in advance.
    I have sent you a PM.
    Not sure whether the link will work.?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I have sent you a PM.
    Not sure whether the link will work.?
    I have sent you another PM.

Thanks mate. I will take a look.

SPK...HGH...are two good companies

Advanced Member

I think one of the great things about the NZX market is that you can get companies that are trading at both a good high dividend yield AND which have good obvious capital growth potential on the share price.

I don’t feel particularly comfortable suggesting specific names, not in the business of giving financial advice, but not hard to look at the higher dividend yield companies on the NZX and then evaluating which ones have a clear large growth track in front of them (just be sure to use expected forward dividend yield, rather than trailing).

For safety, one might also consider whether to break up any large sum into multiple different names, so if one company unexpected hits tough times then the hit to your portfolio and dividend stream is reduced.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; Today at 11:34 AM.

Bloody heck….asking for specific share advice on here is pretty keen.
    I have some ideas or thoughts rather than recommending specific individual shares.
    Depending How much $ you investing you might want to consider getting some professional advice which could get into more detail about your overall other investments, wealth and goals?

Rather than a single or a few shares which is more risky…what about funds. I find a lot of previously good dividend paying shares have been reducing over last few years..We could be in for a period of slightly lower returns than previously as the world recovers…I don’t know

KFL for NZ and BRM for AUS keeping in mind that a lot of the holdings in these funds also earn money away from nz and aus. You need to look at the individual holding and decide if you like what you see..for example BRM has all the Ozzie banks and this sector is not picked to grow much in future and fairly fully priced at present…hopefully the fisher fund managers play these trends buying low and selling high to earn their fee.

These have reasonable divs, potential for some growth, PIE status, drp and warrants to play market price. Easy to manage year end IRD etc,
    Should be reasonably safe as diversified across multiple holding and mainly blue chips, .particularly BRM has a lot more holding than KFL .Negative is you pay a fee for them to manage this and probably get lower overall return than owning the individual holdings.

I wouldn’t discount intl growth shares to balance this out and just sell some when you want cash rather than getting dividend…if you want divs you could look at UK market as probably better value at present and generally higher divs than US and UK market generally pays higher divs. Most of FTSE top 100 earn their income globally anyway so not tied solely to uk. Ie unlilever is one share I own directly

There are other listed funds like AFI although I think the Scottish mortgage trust one has delisted from nz and off course the smart share funds.

Other market trends to play are REITs as the high interest rates ends and some of these pay a good div and cap rates will revalue them so in short term of next 2 years you could get some decent cap growth and divies..but then what?

Since you previously sold OCA in frustration and expressed an opinion that you got a better return on hookers and beer…you could follow your interest and go all in on a thematic etf fund like BAD…unfortunately it’s financial performance is living up to its name…it appears it’s tough going in the SIN market too..but you never know…it could end up with a happy ending

Is there an ETF for SIN stock

Sin stock ETF with shortest name ever

BAD ETF (BAD) – which, at just six letters long, has the shortest name of any ETF in the world – invest in what are called “sin stocks”. These are companies in gambling, alcohol, marijuana and drugs.
    20 Jan 2022

Good luck whatever you do …and hope it works out for you

Last edited by Perky; Today at 01:25 PM.

I’d go KFL and BRM. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiJohn View Post
    As mentioned above, don't put all your eggs in one basket. ie don't go out and put all your money into one or two companies.

Dilettante

I suppose it all depends on what one defines as long term. It may be surprising to many but my best long term dividend stock is MFT, currently paying about 25% of original cost. But long term it has been. I expect it to keep growing substantially in the next 1-2 decades.