sharetrader
Page 418 of 418 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418
Results 4,171 to 4,175 of 4175

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I don't think you are correct. High Electricity prices because of the partial sale? You gotta be kidding.

I went back to my student days and had a look what my electricity bill was.

Power is cheaper now on a real basis (obviously not nominal) than it was in the 90's. As is petrol and diesel, but people conveniently forget that.
    Kiwi households paying 'almost 80 per cent more for power today than in 1990' after adjusting for inflation - 11 Sep, 2018

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwi-households-paying-almost-80-per-cent-more-for-power-today-than-in-1990/X2XOZM3Z2VBRT3Z2AYMIFOAKXY/#google_vignette

A discussion document for the first phase of the Electricity Pricing Review has this afternoon been released by Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods.

It looked at competition and efficiency, reliability, fairness and affordability for consumers and the industry.
    The document finds electricity could be more affordable for Kiwis, with 103,000 households spending more than 10 per cent of their income on power, and when household costs are included, that figure jumping to 175,000.
    It also finds "nothing to suggest grid operator Transpower or distributors, as well as retailers, are making excessive profits".

The document points to a two-tier market forming where those who actively shop around for better deals benefit from competition, while those who don't, end up paying higher prices.
    Commercial businesses are paying 24 per cent more than almost three decades ago, compared to industrial users who are paying 18 per cent less now compared to then.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I don't think you are correct. High Electricity prices because of the partial sale? You gotta be kidding.

I went back to my student days and had a look what my electricity bill was.

Power is cheaper now on a real basis (obviously not nominal) than it was in the 90's. As is petrol and diesel, but people conveniently forget that.
    https://croakingcassandra.com/2018/09/14/electricity-prices/

But when the electricity review document was released the other day, I decided to dip into some numbers and see what I could find out. As has been highlighted repeatedly, there has been a big shift over recent decades such that residential user (real) power prices have risen substantially while commercial and industrial (real) prices have been pretty flat or even falling.

It is hard not to think that if our politicians had not been so determined to keep Tiwai Point open, and so determined to rapidly drive up our population in a unpropitious location (and despite the complete lack of evidence of resulting productivity gains), electricity prices for all other users would be rather lower.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Kiwi households paying 'almost 80 per cent more for power today than in 1990' after adjusting for inflation - 11 Sep, 2018

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwi-households-paying-almost-80-per-cent-more-for-power-today-than-in-1990/X2XOZM3Z2VBRT3Z2AYMIFOAKXY/#google_vignette

A discussion document for the first phase of the Electricity Pricing Review has this afternoon been released by Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods.

It looked at competition and efficiency, reliability, fairness and affordability for consumers and the industry.
    The document finds electricity could be more affordable for Kiwis, with 103,000 households spending more than 10 per cent of their income on power, and when household costs are included, that figure jumping to 175,000.
    It also finds "nothing to suggest grid operator Transpower or distributors, as well as retailers, are making excessive profits".

The document points to a two-tier market forming where those who actively shop around for better deals benefit from competition, while those who don't, end up paying higher prices.
    Commercial businesses are paying 24 per cent more than almost three decades ago, compared to industrial users who are paying 18 per cent less now compared to then.
    2018? 6 years ago. Ask your AI wether it has anything a bit more 'now' or imminent.

Electricity Price Trend in New Zealand

https://www.mysolarquotes.co.nz/blog/new-zealand-energy-news-/how-much-do-power-prices-increase-in-nz-every-year-/

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has compiled electricity pricing data from 2006 to 2022. We dug through this data to get a clear idea of New Zealand’s power price trend. The most important finding was that the average electricity price increase in NZ is 3% per year.

In March 2006, just 16 years ago, each kWh of energy cost 18.87 cents. In March 2022, this number had risen to 30.22 cents per kWh. This is a staggering cumulative rise of about 60%.

Let us talk about the prices of petrol, which is probably the most comparable commodity. In January 2006, a litre of petrol cost $1.37. In January 2023, it was $2.33/litre. This increase is just over 40%, significantly lower than the 60% increase in electricity prices.
    Moreover, unlike electricity, the average annual petrol prices have also dropped at least five times. But petrol and electricity are, after all, different commodities. Let’s go back to power costs and understand the factors that contribute to the fluctuation in its pricing.

Guru

Ask Shane our self-proclaimed energy expert where the natural gas is located and whether it's competitive on price.

Or we can simply slap down one more hydropower station even if the industry doesn't like it (ie would lower prices).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; Yesterday at 11:55 PM.