sharetrader
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beginners

Hi Aaron
    I been buying bank preference shares as a replacement for term deposits.
    Find them under bonds

TIckers
    BNZHA 7.3%
    BNZHB 7.28%
    ANZBHD 7.6%
    or
    QHLHA 6.4% Quayside are BOPcouncil investment arm…own POT

Still has some risk but if the banks all get in trouble there probably big trouble elsewhere

DYOR before investing
    Last edited by Perky; 15-08-2024 at 07:53 AM.

Can anyone explain the maths of why IFT330 are quoted as price per 100 $104.320 which is a 4.3% increase on issue price but also quoted at yield of 5.98% vs coupon rate of 6.9% which would indicate an increase of
    ((6.9 / 5.98) - 1) * 100 = 15.3%.
    This formula seems reasonable to me because if yield had halved it would give 100% increase which seems right.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    Can anyone explain the maths of why IFT330 are quoted as price per 100 $104.320 which is a 4.3% increase on issue price but also quoted at yield of 5.98% vs coupon rate of 6.9% which would indicate an increase of
    ((6.9 / 5.98) - 1) * 100 = 15.3%.
    This formula seems reasonable to me because if yield had halved it would give 100% increase which seems right.
    Maturity 2029. THats 5 years. Yield is quoted till maturity and worked out on a DCF situation.

You pay 1.043 now, get 1.00 in 5 years time and every year get $6.9% per note.

That probably works out to a yield of 5.98% if you pop that in excel.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Perky View Post
    Hi Aaron
    I been buying bank preference shares as a replacement for term deposits.
    Find them under bonds

TIckers
    BNZHA 7.3%
    BNZHB 7.28%
    ANZBHD 7.6%
    or
    QHLHA 6.4% Quayside are BOPcouncil investment arm…own POT

Still has some risk but if the banks all get in trouble there probably big trouble elsewhere

DYOR before investing
    I have been doing something similar as existing term deposits mature. I don’t want to buy more ordinary shares, and may need some cash at uncertain date in about a year or two and figure selling preference shares and bonds would be (cheaper and) easier than breaking a TD if necessary.
    Last edited by Bjauck; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I have been doing something similar as existing term deposits mature. I don’t want to buy more ordinary shares, and may need some cash at uncertain date in about a year or two and figure selling preference shares and bonds would be (cheaper and) easier than breaking a TD if necessary.
    Serious question, are there real penalties for breaking term deposits?

If banks were smart they would allow the breaking of TD's and price it just like a bond would be priced if interest rates change.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Serious question, are there real penalties for breaking term deposits?

If banks were smart they would allow the breaking of TD's and price it just like a bond would be priced if interest rates change.
    You can give notice 31 days I think . Say it us a 2 year TD & you cut out at say 6 months .They will give you a haircut , generally give you what the 6 month rate would have been .