sharetrader
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128
Results 1,271 to 1,273 of 1273
    Permanent Newbie

What I have learned recently that the recent fall on the financial markets is probably attributable to the unwind of some of the Japanese carry trade.

The question it raises for me is what interest rate are they borrowing at and who are they borrowing from and more importantly can I do it?

The correction was due to a .15% increase in the Japanese OCR to .25%. I am unsure if this was the reason for the appreciation of the yen as it is more likely to be temporary with people selling assets and buying yen to pay back their loans in a panic.

Are interest rates likely to go higher in Japan?

The Japanese government debt is $1.3quadrillion yen or $9.2trill USD

1,300,000,000,000,000 * 1% = 13,000,000,000,000 better check my calcs as it is easy to make a big mistake with this many zeros.

The government total tax revenue is $72trill yen or 72,000,000,000,000 so a 1% increase is nearly half the total tax revenue. How likely is it that there will be anymore significant rate rises?

Guru

The casualties of Adrian and Luxon's engineered recession (the poor of course):

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/3503...cants-one-role

1000 applications per job. Reducing demand in the economy without doing anything about supply, rents and price manipulation by companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    What I have learned recently that the recent fall on the financial markets is probably attributable to the unwind of some of the Japanese carry trade.

The question it raises for me is what interest rate are they borrowing at and who are they borrowing from and more importantly can I do it?

The correction was due to a .15% increase in the Japanese OCR to .25%. I am unsure if this was the reason for the appreciation of the yen as it is more likely to be temporary with people selling assets and buying yen to pay back their loans in a panic.

Are interest rates likely to go higher in Japan?

The Japanese government debt is $1.3quadrillion yen or $9.2trill USD

1,300,000,000,000,000 * 1% = 13,000,000,000,000 better check my calcs as it is easy to make a big mistake with this many zeros.

The government total tax revenue is $72trill yen or 72,000,000,000,000 so a 1% increase is nearly half the total tax revenue. How likely is it that there will be anymore significant rate rises?
    You really need to know what you are doing if you get involved in something like this and I would suggest that carry trade is pretty much over.
    They were borrowing in JPY due to the very low interest rates comparative to the US, but then the Japanese Government unexpectedly raised rates right at a time when the US is looking to lowering their own. The exposure you have is FX and as seen recently this can move swiftly especially when there is a crowded trade.
    The JPY & Nikkei have recovered circa half their losses so perhaps some have re-entered the trade, but I would be wary of another sell off.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.