sharetrader
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldson View Post
    Another week done and when the market trades again on Monday the Olympics will be over. Let's see who medalled this time.

Gold goes to Prestige-worldwide up a remarkable 38 places, with Buster in silver scoring 35 and benk on the podium up 23. Those who made up the quinella had VGL as a portfolio pick, which had a massive week and finished up 22c just today alone, closing at $2.87. It was only on 27 May that Portentia announced it had picked up almost 20% of VGL at $2.10, in turn a significant sum above previous trading. What a well timed entry to a stock now in a sharp uptrend!

JIMMYPAIN is feeling it more than most, taking the woodenspoon down 16 places, with ecuttel on 15 and Grimy on 14 in close attendance.

A place in the Top 10 needs over 20% again, with the leader on 32.05% and over 4.5% ahead of Exec with Rawz in third.

Many of you will have noticed my post on the VGL thread on 27 May that I chose to exit my holding after much thought at the then market close of $2.10. Just proves you can over think a situation, despite that yeilding a tidy profit then but well over $16k less than was available today which is only about 10 weeks later. There is a lot to be said for the simple "Buy and Hold" mantra. Success in the Competion clearly doesn't really equate with market nous!

Hoping NZ still has some successes to come in Paris. I have enjoyed watching each evening, particularly the Athletics and Cycling but each to their own as plenty of choice.
    Its certainly a hard one to swallow at ronaldson 😢. Hindsight is always a wonderful thing. The number of times I've thought shares are on their way up but slip back over and over again then when yourve had enough you sell only to see it skyrocket. Very frustrating. Akways seems to be the case. We may see company's as great value and know they are good but untill the big corporate funds jump in they don't go anywhere. This one being the case again. Learn more all the time. Stop catching things falling. Wait till it starts climbing. Sacfrice a small gain early for a longer term gain 😊. Tower being the latest

Keep an eye on the fascinating battle between Hamilton Hindin Green and Forsyth Barr for the professionals medal, as it continues to rage. Curiously there is no cross-over of picks in their selections, but they are neck and neck despite that.

And congratulations to Felix who has returned to Top 10 glory after exiting that status in early May. The usual suspects are fairly well entrenched at the top, although the exact order can be changeable.

The competition leader is at the all time high for the year, almost 36% and just about 7% ahead of Exec as the next best, reminiscent of What the stock's dominance before he/she was summarily dethroned not that long ago and consigned to outer darkness. Anything can happen in this Competition and no one is secure as the Market ebbs and flows, and who knows what will happen on Wednesday let alone over the remainder of the month/year.

Keep the faith everyone.

OCR reduced by 0.25% this afternoon has encouraged a 2.06% daily rise in the NZX index.

Quite a few have increased their numbers in the Competition (or reduced their deficit if that is the case), although positive price movement more or less across the board has meant exchange of places up/down has tended to be muted. I hope your own portfolios have benefitted.

Let us hope this holds to the Friday close, when I will post as usual, but this is likely the green shoot we have all been waiting for!

The 30% barrier has been well and truly breached this week by the top three, and you now need 24.63% to be in the Top 10. They say a rising tide lifts all boats and with the NZX50 index up 4% for the week many players will be feeling much happier about their performance. I looked and 108 are now positive, I believe the most since January. Someone born under the ticker code ORR finally delivered some relief to the hard pressed masses and the market responded.

Hamilton Hindin Green now definitely have the wood on Forsyth Barr, by over 1.5%, and Nikko Asset Management are coming up to challenge. Among we plebs Sausagedog took out the Gold Medal, up 25 places with BigBob up 22 and our resident football fan AVillianFC took Bronze on 21. I doubt even third place in the Premier League is available this season but we shall see.

Poor benk, down 28, took the woodenspoon from Man123 and percy both some way back. I don't know how benk slipped so far in the circumstances but for every competitor who rises a place someone must respond by falling, a bit like the market requires every buyer to have a seller.

A new reporting season commences next week so more fun and games are possible. Perhaps the real bargains are already being snapped up by the more astute among us, but the confessions we are about to receive follow upon difficult economic times so it may still be the darkness before the dawn in that regard. And how many have "readies" on hand to take advantage anyway?

Stay safe everyone and concentrate upon living a little longer so as to learn how it is!