sharetrader
Page 388 of 388 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388
Results 3,871 to 3,878 of 3878

Thread: IFT - Infratil

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Are sitting on this egg keeping it warm.

I did sell down back to 50,000 shares and dumped the money into KFL and Brmwh. But that was less than the amount of the discounted share offer.

I know, Trust Morrison & Co to do what they do best.
    ???
    KFL CAGR 20 yrs 6.58%
    BRM CAGR 20 yrs 3.2%
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    ???
    KFL CAGR 20 yrs 6.58%
    BRM CAGR 20 yrs 3.2%
    ???
    Not long term holdings. Just playing the short term interest rate and dollar game as the markets correct over sold stocks.

Then I'm out.

Was the parcel at a big discount caused by sharesies at the end of trading?

For those investing on the basis that the AI boom in data centre demand will go on for a long time it is worth keeping an eye on the cost of actually using an AI model.

OpenAI have just cut the cost of their flagship model GTP-4o by 50% in 3 months as they have been able to make it more efficient, ie they need less servers. GPT-4o is itself 50% cheaper then GPT-4 Turbo which is wait for it 50% cheaper again than the original GPT-4 released only 17 months ago. Worth adding each addition is better as well as being cheaper.

Compare the pricing for GPT-4 to GPT-4o and gpt-4o-2024-08-06 below. From $30/million input tokens to $2.50 in less than a year and a half. Or you can use gpt-4o-mini which is almost as good for only $0.15/M input tokens. The direction of travel is clear.
    https://openai.com/api/pricing/

This is what I mean when I say software is generally a better investment than hardware.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    For those investing on the basis that the AI boom in data centre demand will go on for a long time it is worth keeping an eye on the cost of actually using an AI model.

OpenAI have just cut the cost of their flagship model GTP-4o by 50% in 3 months as they have been able to make it more efficient, ie they need less servers. GPT-4o is itself 50% cheaper then GPT-4 Turbo which is wait for it 50% cheaper again than the original GPT-4 released only 17 months ago. Worth adding each addition is better as well as being cheaper.

Compare the pricing for GPT-4 to GPT-4o and gpt-4o-2024-08-06 below. From $30/million input tokens to $2.50 in less than a year and a half. Or you can use gpt-4o-mini which is almost as good for only $0.15/M input tokens. The direction of travel is clear.

This is what I mean when I say software is generally a better investment than hardware.
    One thing that really puzzles me with IFT heading flat out into data centres in N Z is where will the power come from and at what price, I guess the brains trust at IFT have figured that one out but to me it still needs an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    One thing that really puzzles me with IFT heading flat out into data centres in N Z is where will the power come from and at what price, I guess the brains trust at IFT have figured that one out but to me it still needs an answer.
    I'm sure IFT want to build the power stations to supply them too via Mint Renewables and Manawa.

IFT should never have broken up Trustpower IMO, Manawa worth much more as an integrated business with Tilt, the retail customer basis and Aussie growth options. Guess the Morrisons & Co fee structure incentivizes this kind of medium term build and flick activity.

Build and sell is the model nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Yeah, what are they thinking. Why would New Zealanders want to be using cloud technology and AI.
    Best they stick to watching rugby and drinking beer.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post

The only hardware IFT provide, is the place for companies to put their hardware and software. IFT CDC is not completely the same as other Data Centres and they have very long term customers. I see great things for IFT, as we all look further into where AI is heading, plus the rules about the customer information that companies have to protect. There are fewer governments allowing third parties holding onto the information.