sharetrader
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you turn it off in the app then should make no difference where you are, when it tries to process the payment it will decline.

Have done a similar thing when overseas, as had a limit on the amount could spend in one transaction at a time, and forgot to turn that off or increase the amount and wondering why my card was declined - until I realized.
    I guess you are assuming that payments can be transferred in real time across the world. I can believe such a thing happens within New Zealand within the same 'home' banking system. Ideally I would like to think the same would be true from anywhere in the world. But I doubt that this is true. I suspect what really happens is that there is a certain threshold level where everyday transactions are allowed to go through up to a dollar limit. If that were not the case then any outage, through faults or overloading, anywhere in the chain -no matter how transient- would crash the whole system. To get around that I would expect there to be a buffer system where transactions are held for a period until they go through. Of course it would be impractical to hold all account users anywhere in the world at the payment terminal until every payment went through. This is why I am speculating that a buffer system exists.

Given your instructions to disable paywave in New Zealand would be held in New Zealand within the banking system here, I cannot see how these instructions to deactivate paywave could be received anywhere in the world in real time on a reliable basis.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

It could be via the App/ Apple pay etc when you use payWave - does it update the card chip -then it would not matter where you are - more especially if you set it up in NZ.
    I'm sure I changed mine in the app while overseas, then it worked!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It could be via the App/ Apple pay etc when you use payWave - does it update the card chip -then it would not matter where you are - more especially if you set it up in NZ.
    I'm sure I changed mine in the app while overseas, then it worked!
    Sounds plausible. But I think we may be talking cross purposes. You are talking about operating your paywave via your phone. I am talking about operating paywave via a card (yes some of us still have those). I don't think a card can be reprogrammed like you suggest.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

This is BNZ but yes you can turn off paywave for your card and other options.
    It's not the card that determines what can happen, it all happens via visa or mastercards payment systems. The card itself is simply programmed with a unique identifier which is checked at POS, no different to checking if you have money in your bank account. There's no money loaded on the card.

IMG_5026.jpg
    Last edited by thegreatestben; Today at 08:45 AM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    [...] I am talking about operating paywave via a card (yes some of us still have those). I don't think a card can be reprogrammed like you suggest.

SNOOPY
    Do you have an online banking that you can access from your PC? If you do, login in to your online banking and go to 'Manage my cards' (or something like that), you'll see an option to 'turn off Contactless Payments' (or something like that). This should be available for any Credit or Debit card that you have.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 8.43.00 AM.png
    Westpac example for a Mastercard Credit Card

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Snoops you can save yourself some time. Just go into your banking app-under card settings you can toggle off Contactless purchases.
    I block my cards in the app, and only activate them before purchasing. It only blocks the plastic card, not Apple Pay on my phone, which I often use. I also carry about $50 in cash for small purchases too!

Blocking and unblocking your card

https://www.bnz.co.nz/support/mobile...king-your-card
    Last edited by Bjauck; Today at 09:21 AM.