Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you turn it off in the app then should make no difference where you are, when it tries to process the payment it will decline.

Have done a similar thing when overseas, as had a limit on the amount could spend in one transaction at a time, and forgot to turn that off or increase the amount and wondering why my card was declined - until I realized.
I guess you are assuming that payments can be transferred in real time across the world. I can believe such a thing happens within New Zealand within the same 'home' banking system. Ideally I would like to think the same would be true from anywhere in the world. But I doubt that this is true. I suspect what really happens is that there is a certain threshold level where everyday transactions are allowed to go through up to a dollar limit. If that were not the case then any outage, through faults or overloading, anywhere in the chain -no matter how transient- would crash the whole system. To get around that I would expect there to be a buffer system where transactions are held for a period until they go through. Of course it would be impractical to hold all account users anywhere in the world at the payment terminal until every payment went through. This is why I am speculating that a buffer system exists.

Given your instructions to disable paywave in New Zealand would be held in New Zealand within the banking system here, I cannot see how these instructions to deactivate paywave could be received anywhere in the world in real time on a reliable basis.

SNOOPY