sharetrader
Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Here you go Getty, just for you.

https://youtu.be/jli0_oKMG-0?feature=shared
    I watched the video which was Pete Buttigieg on Kamala Harris’s Campaign, VP Vetting, & JD Vance | The Daily Show. It is not the type of thing I normally watch. I didn’t know who Pete Buttigieg was.
    So, my impression was politics as entertainment, politics as a game, just as sport is opium for the masses, in American politics you back your team to win.

Politics is portrayed as a game, as a sport, as opium for the masses, to make you feel like a winner when you are actually loser in society, and in politics, because the elites are running the show, and sports distracts the working classes from real economic issues.

Marc Perelman criticizes sports for similar reasons, viewing it as an "opium of the people" that entertains, pacifies, and disciplines the working class, thereby serving capitalist interests. He argues that sports can mirror the worst aspects of capitalism, including racism, sexism, and nationalism, and that its pervasive media coverage diverts attention from political activities that might challenge the existing order.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    I watched the video which was Pete Buttigieg on Kamala Harris’s Campaign, VP Vetting, & JD Vance | The Daily Show. It is not the type of thing I normally watch. I didn’t know who Pete Buttigieg was.
    So, my impression was politics as entertainment, politics as a game, just as sport is opium for the masses, in American politics you back your team to win.

Politics is portrayed as a game, as a sport, as opium for the masses, to make you feel like a winner when you are actually loser in society, and in politics, because the elites are running the show, and sports distracts the working classes from real economic issues.

Marc Perelman criticizes sports for similar reasons, viewing it as an "opium of the people" that entertains, pacifies, and disciplines the working class, thereby serving capitalist interests. He argues that sports can mirror the worst aspects of capitalism, including racism, sexism, and nationalism, and that its pervasive media coverage diverts attention from political activities that might challenge the existing order.
    Yup. The Romans knew a thing or two with their coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post

Yep and nothing new, I.e the ancient Olympics or be it the chariot races or coliseum games in Rome.

It's ridiculous what top sports people can earn now.

I do like Jon Stewart though. I don't agree with everything he says, but I think he's usually on the right side of things and is razor sharp.
    Last edited by Daytr; Today at 02:01 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Yup. The Romans knew a thing or two with their coliseum.
    For them it's football, for us it's rugby.

Up the wahs.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    He saved 'black' jobs - whatever they are.
    'I love my black job': Simone Biles appears to take a jab at Trump after Olympic win
    The post follows controversial remarks Trump made at a June debate about 'Black jobs.'
    The Olympic gymnast, who won two gold medals in Paris making her the most decorated U.S. gymnast, took a swipe at former President Donald Trump in a post Friday on X.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...win-rcna164833

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    For them it's football, for us it's rugby.

Up the was.
    I think “damnatio ad bestias” was popular with ye olde Romans too - execution by wild beast of Christians and others.

Roman pork barrel politics was bread and circuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Perhaps it's my source that is desperate, but l don't think so.

Hannity, Watters, The Five, and some others are all shows that as l have previously stated, run and rerun on Fox News.

They have an almost non stop supply of past and present Senators, other political commentators and journalists appearing.

If you don't have Sky, l would of thought you could probably access a lot of this stuff via the likes of YouTube, to see for yourself.

If that's not possible, l will try and note specific names to make the desperation allegation go away, but there is no way I'm capable or desirous of regurgitating all the content on here myself.
    Isn't it enough that Fox paid Dominion three quarters of a Billion dollars for repeating Trumps lies about the 2020 election, while knowing they were lies?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    Isn't it enough that Fox paid Dominion three quarters of a Billion
    dollars for repeating Trumps lies about the 2020 election, while knowing they were lies?
    Wasn't cheap was it?

Even more reason to play with a straight bat now eh?