sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    However in your comparison, we return to the collective noun aspect - a shop versus a company (Link Market Services.)
    My ice cream example was just to show the number of customers or share registries it offered was not relevant. It is whehter the company is seen as a single entity or a group of individuals.

Here is a definitive answer
    Corporate entities: singular or plural? — Well Writ

The answer appears to be grey rather than black or white. But I will go with the style guidleine at the end which indicates Link 'is' a share registry is correct.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikeith View Post
    My ice cream example was just to show the number of customers or share registries it offered was not relevant. It is whehter the company is seen as a single entity or a group of individuals.

Here is a definitive answer
    Corporate entities: singular or plural? — Well Writ

The answer appears to be grey rather than black or white. But I will go with the style guidleine at the end which indicates Link 'is' a share registry is correct.
    Link provides share registry services for many other companies. It does not have just the one registry.

I agree with that Australian article. In most formal documentary situations for a company a singular verb should consistently apply. Otherwise it is up to the user and whatever emphasis is desired.

However there is some variance between British and American usage. NZ tends to follow British usage whereas Aussies are more ambivalent. British English is more likely to use a plural for a collective noun.

https://www.blenheimeditorial.co.uk/...ular-or-plural

So to sum up, I think Link IS is preferable. However Link ARE is not incorrect.
    Last edited by Bjauck; Yesterday at 12:11 PM.