sharetrader
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
    Guru

Two NZ shares brought for grandson's long term hold
    Portfolio already up 16.44%
    Last edited by kiora; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.

Guru

Ouch
    Thats not much saved for retirement

"Will Gen X ever be able to retire?"

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...y+26+July+2024

Guru

And independant of "the bank" & financial advisers

"Charlie Munger Said 'The Point Of Getting Rich Is So You Don't Have To Get Along With Other People' – He Wanted The Independence, Not The Ferraris"

The bank should want to come to you,not you to them

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/charl...154510380.html

“Well, probably because it suits my nature. But I didn’t really enjoy the three and 30 business. Once I had enough money on my own, I’d rather just operate with my own money. That is a much better way of doing it than being forced to sell, being forced to deal with investment bankers, being forced to deal with investment consultants, being forced to deal with venture capital. To hell with them. Who wants it? You don’t need other people. The point of getting rich is so you don’t have to need other people, so you don’t have to get along with others.”

Guru

Who's learning from past mistakes?

4 fundies share the lessons from the first stock they ever bought

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wire...THE%20INSIGHTS

"Warren Buffett’s first purchase.

Unlike many of us who started in our 20s or later, Buffett (unsurprisingly really) was a precocious 11-year-old and the company itself a solid natural gas company, Cities Service Preferred (aka not the early equivalent of Minecraft…). He claims he learnt to buy and hold from it. It’s a lesson he has clearly applied to investing for Berkshire Hathaway."

"My own first stock was Macquarie Group, purchased at lows during the GFC and it taught me that if you know a business has solid fundamentals, you can ignore the noise.

Just because a stock has dropped a lot doesn’t necessarily mean it is cheap. The importance of a business being able to sustainably fund itself is underrated,” says Clark.

"incredibly good balance sheet and management team, they are very good at creating shareholder value and they are moving into new areas, particularly in digital that could see the earnings number accelerate. The valuation is also reasonable,” "

"What did he learn?
    “It’s important to invest in a company for its future and not to be too reliant on backward-looking financial statements,”
    Datt says."

Companies in essential industries with strong cashflows, solid balance sheets and that are priced at modest earnings multiples,”

When is hype, hype?
    "“Don’t just fall in love with the stock, you need to take profits along the way and sell to the hype,
    Jennings says."

So often the turn around point,recapitalization aka SKL

"“The worst thing you can do is panic and sell at the bottom,” says Wayne, noting that he also learnt that taking up rights Issues can pay off."

"“CSL ticks all the boxes and goes back to the idea of compounding over time. It has nicely compounded earnings year after year, likewise it has compounded revenue growth,” says Wayne."

The key lessons to take out from the experts
    Take profits along the way
    Look to the future of a company
    Make sure a business can sustainably fund itself
    Hold course and don’t sell at the bottom