sharetrader
Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172737475 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    That was Biden’s choice and not a Party stipulation. All the presidential candidates have their own criteria for selecting a running mate.

This time the people can vote on whether they want an intelligent successful woman who has been selected by her Party, versus a man with success born from inherited wealth, selected by his Party, to be President. Policies may or may not come into their equation.
    Yet you were OK with Biden? A lot of sidestepping going on here BJauck.

The big difference between Biden and previous presidential choices for VP is that Biden's political reasons for choosing Harris were purely racist and sexist. He said so. Not because she came from California, or had been an AG, or was competent. His criteria was that his VP be a coloured woman. I guess the party of the slavers hasn't changed that much in 150 years.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post

The big difference between Biden and previous presidential choices for VP is that Biden's political reasons for choosing Harris were purely racist and sexist. He said so. Not because she came from California, or had been an AG, or was competent. His criteria was that his VP be a coloured woman. I guess the party of the slavers hasn't changed that much in 150 years.
    I’d wager Harris will choose a running mate that is white and male (and that those two characteristics will be material to her decision whether spoken or unspoken). Be interesting if Jonu will be able to feign the same level of outrage as he has above.
    Last edited by Muse; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    I’d wager Harris will choose a running mate that is white and male (and that those two characteristics will be material to her decision whether spoken or unspoken). Be interesting if Jonu will be able to feign the same level of outrage as he has above.
    Not feigned outrage Muse. I couldn't give a rats who she chooses. I just know that competency should be the first criteria for any selection. With politics, popularity will normally top the list, and that seldom ends well.

The SS head who just resigned was aiming for 30% female agent level when she got the job. Did you note the physically small of stature female agents standing around Trump at the assassination attempt, leaving his head exposed? There are times when you want the best and most suited for the job, not someone who fits some concocted DEI protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    In America - over its long history - running mates have been chosen for a plethora of contrasting features. Old candidates have chosen young ones. Northern candidates have chosen southern ones. Moderates have chosen partisans and partisans have chosen moderates. and on the list goes. Men have chosen women and likely this time a woman will chose a man. It's always been a political decision - maintaining and pleasing the base while hopefully extending the appeal. People decry Harris as a DEI choice as a consequence but she still (rightly or wrongly) climbed to the top of a shortlist as a consequence of her work as a prosecutor and United States Senator - it's not like a DNC walked down the street and saw a person and declared "THAT one!". Was her ethnicity, gender and age a factor in the machine that pushed for her to become Biden's VP pick? Most probably, but no more or less than the historical picks made to appeal to or pacify other segments of the political base (south, north, young, old, religious, etc) and doesn't take away from her accomplishments and long climb to US Senator. And by screaming DEI candidate everytime a person with particular features is considered or nominated it almost seeks to preclude any person who is a non-white male. Surely even the most fervent here must concede women, people of different colour, or sexualities are just as capable as a white man.

Southern Jefferson chose Northern Burr in great part because because he was from New York. Lincoln chose Johnson in part because he was from Tennessee and to signify unity. Young (black) Obama chose old (white) Biden because he was seen as older and more mainstream. Was Biden a DEI candidate? Eisenhower chose Nixon for similar regions. Northern JFK chose Johnson because he wanted a southern running mate and it was important Johnson wasn't a catholic to balance out people's suspicions of JFK Catholicism.

and no doubt Harris will ask a man to be her running mate. A gender based choice should we be outraged?

It's just politics - always has been always will be - so just get over it.
    Excellent post Muse.
    It's incredible that the diversity or not chosen for their ability flag is waved when the same thing has been going on for thousands of years and in the US, from its inception as if anyone had put a woman up or a person of colour even if they were the most capable person on the planet they would have been unelectable.

Imagine if Harris chose a black woman as a running mate, unfortunately it would probably kill her chances as America isn't ready for that.
    Let's hope at least they are ready for a strong, intelligent and articulate woman.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

I am sorry if you cannot see the major difference between a political party and a presidential candidate’s choice for running mate.

At least, Biden was open about his criteria. He would think there may be balance to have An old white man and a comparatively youngish black woman on his ticket - that was his choice to make and to present to the voters. How many Presidential candidates in the past have as their unspoken criteria for running mate as anybody other than a black woman, or a black man for that matter?

Anyway Harris will use her A-G skills to hold Trump to account this election. She has dealt with his type before. However it will not be an easy race in the political swamp!
    Last edited by Bjauck; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.

All this criticism of first Biden and now Harris and some quite distasteful posts included, from these apparently non Trump supporters.
    But not one criticism of Trump from them and there really is soooo much to choose from.
    His morals, or lack of, he's a serial liar, he turns on his own allies and sends them up the river or off to clink just to protect himself, I could go on as it's almost an neverending story.
    The denial is palpable from the trio of Trumpsters.

Well here's a criticism and it's one that was laid at Biden. Trump can't remember what he said only three weeks ago!

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...y-speculation/

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am sorry if you cannot see the major difference between a political party and a presidential candidate’s choice for running mate.

At least, Biden was open about his criteria. He would think there may be balance to have An old white man and a comparatively youngish black woman on his ticket - that was his choice to make and to present to the voters. How many Presidential candidates in the past have as their unspoken criteria for running mate as anybody other than a black woman, or a black man for that matter?

Anyway Harris will use her A-G skills to hold Trump to account this election. She has dealt with his type before. However it will not be an easy race in the political swamp!
    Just say it BJAuck. You approve of his racism and sexism. Enough sidestepping. Enough whataboutery. Ardern had the same policy for her Cabinet. Look where it got us.

Guru

Project 2025 is such a gift to Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHzrqDFJmCo

Dumb politics which she should seek to exploit. It's a wish list the old con-man would love to see implemented.

Legend

Just say it BJAuck. You approve of his racism and sexism. Enough sidestepping. Enough whataboutery. Ardern had the same policy for her Cabinet. Look where it got us.
    Being nominated as a Presidential candidate and selecting a vice-President are a unique situation. I have never been in that position. I can say I approve of Biden more than Trump and I would support Harris over Trump. With a binary choice it is often about selecting the lesser of two evils. As a matter of interest, In the upcoming election, and if you were eligible, would you vote for Harris or Trump, or not cast a vote at all

Surprisingly, the American elections are not about me or thee, however. Do you seriously think Biden was more racist and sexist than Trump?

Last edited by Bjauck; Yesterday at 02:31 PM.

Guru

Not feigned outrage Muse. I couldn't give a rats who she chooses. I just know that competency should be the first criteria for any selection. With politics, popularity will normally top the list, and that seldom ends well.
    Competency wasn't a criterion when Trump was chosen - why should it be now?