sharetrader
Page 71 of 117 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    And it boils down to mean what? Because she is of a certain race she will think a certain way? Can you categorise her by her skin colour or her sex? Doesn't sound a very good way to assess people's character does it? But that's exactly what Biden did with his DEI hire for VP. He announced it as such.

I'm astounded that people can't see why identity politics is such a dangerous and corrosive problem. And to think it is woke lefties that promote it. Shouldn't be surprised, it's mark of neo-Marxism to make everyone a victim. Racisim and sexism are apparently OK all over again.
    I was just responding to the balderdash contained in Blackcap’s post.

Anyway, the MAGA movement’s whole thrust is based on identity politics.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I was just responding to the balderdash contained in Blackcap’s post.

Anyway, the MAGA movement’s whole thrust is based on identity politics.
    Fair enough, but was my point valid? And I would say the MAGA message was Nationalist ie pro USA as a whole.

Guru

And it boils down to mean what? Because she is of a certain race she will think a certain way? Can you categorise her by her skin colour or her sex? Doesn't sound a very good way to assess people's character does it? But that's exactly what Biden did with his DEI hire for VP. He announced it as such.

I'm astounded that people can't see why identity politics is such a dangerous and corrosive problem. And to think it is woke lefties that promote it. Shouldn't be surprised, it's mark of neo-Marxism to make everyone a victim. Racisim and sexism are apparently OK all over again.
    Well said.

Legend

Fair enough, but was my point valid? And I would say the MAGA message was Nationalist ie pro USA as a whole.
    As long as personal rights and minority rights are respected, within the rule of common law.

Guru

As long as personal rights and minority rights are respected, within the rule of common law.
    Great. That would indicate you think a diversity hire is the wrong thing to do. Discriminating against someone due to their sex or colour/race is bad. Which is exactly what Biden did to those who didn't fit his DEI criteria. Competency wasn't anywhere near top of the list for Biden.

Legend

Great. That would indicate you think a diversity hire is the wrong thing to do. Discriminating against someone due to their sex or colour/race is bad. Which is exactly what Biden did to those who didn't fit his DEI criteria. Competency wasn't anywhere near top of the list for Biden.
    Tbh I cannot comment as I don’ t know much about what Biden did in that respect. However I can say I am against the NZ Green Party DEI leadership requirements as they are in effect discriminatory.

In a multi-cultural country, with minority cultures, such as the USA and NZ, it can be difficult to ensure that all are catered for appropriately..

It is up to the American people to assess the skill and qualities of Harris versus Trump regardless of whether they are may or may not be candidates approved by their respective Parties as a result of diversity policies or inherited wealth.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 25-07-2024 at 10:53 AM.

Guru

Tbh I cannot comment as I don’ t know much about what Biden did in that respect. However I can say I am against the NZ Green Party DEI leadership requirements as they are in effect discriminatory.

In a multi-cultural country, with minority cultures, such as the USA and NZ, it can be difficult to ensure that all are catered for appropriately..

It is up to the American people to assess the skill and qualities of Harris versus Trump regardless of whether they are may or may not be candidates approved by their respective Parties as a result of diversity policies or inherited wealth.
    It's no secret that Biden did exactly what the Greens do. He announced ahead of time that his VP pick would be a woman of colour. Appalling eh? White women and all blokes need not apply. Not clear on where he would have stood on trans. Gets a bit muddy doesn't it? We all know Chippie didn't know...or didn't want to know. What is a woman again?

What are you on about?
    You develop your own argument and then refute it. Be careful of the echo chamber as echos rebound. What is going on in that head of yours.

But to answer your question.
    The US has had 235 years of identity politics. White men, with only one exception in that time, and no women.
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Well said.
    No it not, as Bjauck said nothing of the sort.
    Last edited by Daytr; 25-07-2024 at 11:22 AM.

Advanced Member

In America - over its long history - running mates have been chosen for a plethora of contrasting features. Old candidates have chosen young ones. Northern candidates have chosen southern ones. Moderates have chosen partisans and partisans have chosen moderates. and on the list goes. Men have chosen women and likely this time a woman will chose a man. It's always been a political decision - maintaining and pleasing the base while hopefully extending the appeal. People decry Harris as a DEI choice as a consequence but she still (rightly or wrongly) climbed to the top of a shortlist as a consequence of her work as a prosecutor and United States Senator - it's not like a DNC walked down the street and saw a person and declared "THAT one!". Was her ethnicity, gender and age a factor in the machine that pushed for her to become Biden's VP pick? Most probably, but no more or less than the historical picks made to appeal to or pacify other segments of the political base (south, north, young, old, religious, etc) and doesn't take away from her accomplishments and long climb to US Senator. And by screaming DEI candidate everytime a person with particular features is considered or nominated it almost seeks to preclude any person who is a non-white male. Surely even the most fervent here must concede women, people of different colour, or sexualities are just as capable as a white man.

Southern Jefferson chose Northern Burr in great part because because he was from New York. Lincoln chose Johnson in part because he was from Tennessee and to signify unity. Young (black) Obama chose old (white) Biden because he was seen as older and more mainstream. Was Biden a DEI candidate? Eisenhower chose Nixon for similar regions. Northern JFK chose Johnson because he wanted a southern running mate and it was important Johnson wasn't a catholic to balance out people's suspicions of JFK Catholicism.

and no doubt Harris will ask a man to be her running mate. A gender based choice should we be outraged?

It's just politics - always has been always will be - so just get over it.
    Last edited by Muse; 25-07-2024 at 11:59 AM.

Legend

It's no secret that Biden did exactly what the Greens do. He announced ahead of time that his VP pick would be a woman of colour. Appalling eh? White women and all blokes need not apply. Not clear on where he would have stood on trans. Gets a bit muddy doesn't it? We all know Chippie didn't know...or didn't want to know. What is a woman again?
    That was Biden’s choice and not a Party stipulation. All the presidential candidates have their own criteria for selecting a running mate.

This time the people can vote on whether they want an intelligent successful woman who has been selected by her Party, versus a man with success born from inherited wealth, selected by his Party, to be President. Policies may or may not come into their equation.