sharetrader
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Source?

$1.4T was spent by Bush fighting hill-tribes in pickup trucks who managed to elude them for a minimum of 8 years until obama found and killed Bin Laden

$200b was spent to fight the new imperial russian army (and yes some to prop up the ukrainian govt).

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-ed...n-afghanistan/
    https://www.cfr.org/article/how-much...-going-ukraine
    These are my sources which back up my statement. And that only covers until mid 2023.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/21/p...ers/index.html
    https://www.statista.com/chart/29375...-to-past-wars/

Your source for the trillions figure for Afghanistan seems extraordinarily vague for a so called fact checking site.
    Either way, both spends for a questionable outcome but a very profitable war are heinous.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Of course it is Democrat US Presidents, NATO’s defensive alliance, and Russian democrats and opposition that are the aggressors and the problem. Putin is the victim here. ​/irony.
    I merely pointed out what Putin got up to under the two most recent Democrat Presidents, as opposed to sitting on his hands when Trump was President.

Why the outrage? I wasn't critical of Ukraine for defending itself.

The ridiculous position that Biden good/Trump bad doesn't stand scrutiny.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    These are my sources which back up my statement. And that only covers until mid 2023.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/21/p...ers/index.html
    https://www.statista.com/chart/29375...-to-past-wars/

Your source for the trillions figure for Afghanistan seems extraordinarily vague for a so called fact checking site.
    Either way, both spends for a questionable outcome but a very profitable war are heinous.
    Oh jonu *sigh*, those are annual figures. Multiply the Afghanistan figure by 20.

Guru

Oh jonu *sigh*, those are annual figures. Multiply the Afghanistan figure by 20.
    There's 10 years of Afghan data there

I merely pointed out what Putin got up to under the two most recent Democrat Presidents, as opposed to sitting on his hands when Trump was President.

Why the outrage? I wasn't critical of Ukraine for defending itself.

The ridiculous position that Biden good/Trump bad doesn't stand scrutiny.
    Putin did not have to lift a finger under Trump as the Fornicator was doing all the work for him - undermining NATO and Western allies. What a great deal it was for Putin!

I was about to say, Jonu obviously doesn't understand what his own source is saying.
    Annual, is a pretty key word there.
    Oh well in 10 - 20 years if the Ukraine war it's still going on he might be proven right.
    Let's hope neither are the case.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Putin did not have to lift a finger under Trump as the Fornicator was doing all the work for him - undermining NATO and Western allies. What a great deal it was for Putin!
    Well that would be one view. Except that NATO had been freeloading/screwing the US for years and Trump was right to call them out.
    Don't you see a pattern of warmongering across multiple US administrations of both Republicans and Democrats? Trump's not in the club. I think he genuinely doesn't want the US constantly at war, or funding insurgents in every corner either. Who in their right mind would give the Taliban 8 billion just months after they had crapped all over the US withdrawal from Afghanistan? Well Joe did...but it is evident to even Democrat supporters Joe is not in his right mind...or even his left!

Well that would be one view. Except that NATO had been freeloading/screwing the US for years and Trump was right to call them out.
    Don't you see a pattern of warmongering across multiple US administrations of both Republicans and Democrats? Trump's not in the club. I think he genuinely doesn't want the US constantly at war, or funding insurgents in every corner either. Who in their right mind would give the Taliban 8 billion just months after they had crapped all over the US withdrawal from Afghanistan? Well Joe did...but it is evident to even Democrat supporters Joe is not in his right mind...or even his left!
    But not a Trump supporter eh...
    How about those annualized figures?
    Quit whilst you are ahead.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

A few questions to think about. The US is both an Atlantic and a Pacific country. If you strip out the atomic weaponry and infrastructure, which the USA has as a counter to China, how does the percentage of gdp spent on defence compare with the rest of the NATO countries? How would the US economy fare if Russia countrolled much of Europe and China controlled much of Asia? How would the balance of power change? How safe would the USA be? What percentage of defence spending actually stimulates the US economy?
    Last edited by Bjauck; Today at 12:42 PM.

Guru

There hasn't been a war between great powers since NATO.

Isolationism was the US view pre-WW2 and it was a "head-in-the-sand" position that led to a surprise attack which crippled the US Navy and directly before that countries that *could* have been US allies being smashed down by tyrants. Small actions are taken now to prevent issues later.

A rational cost-benefit comparison should be done.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; Today at 12:54 PM.