sharetrader
Page 383 of 383 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383
Results 3,821 to 3,823 of 3823

Thread: IFT - Infratil

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    That Livewire link had some details Snoopy. More about using their existing land bank and developer expertise/contacts than converting existing sites.
    Thanks for the link Jaa. There is a graph in the link titled 'Exabytes of data created (Created in the cloud vs non-cloud)'. I think that is a global projection rather than Australian one, although the text doesn't make that entirely clear. But something doesn't look right about it to me. The graph does not tie in with the text

Why is the graph illustrating 'created in the cloud' instead of 'stored in the cloud'? Are the two meant to be synonymous? If we have something 'created in the cloud', say via a SAAS application, are we talking about the computing power needed to run such an application in a data centre? 'Created in the cloud' isn't mentioned in the text. The text talks about storage. So why does the phrase 'created in the cloud' appear in the graph?

Then there is the bold header statement in the article that says: Cloud + AI = Storage (and lots of it). Now traditionally if you have a computer system in your office then that is 'non-cloud' whereas stuff stored over the internet on a server somewhere else is 'cloud'. But the header in bold would almost suggest that in this instance 'non-cloud' is referring to AI in this context? A later comment in the text when talking about cloud is that:

"Certainly, cloud storage is the mainstay, representing around 60% of global centre demand. AI is likely to be around 25% of the mix with the remaining portion largely taken up by data sovereignty. Data sovereignty is perhaps the least known of the three but is arguably the most important. It is tasked with protecting data from “external interference from foreign states and third parties."

So this would suggest that AI is indeed part of cloud. This is saying: Storage (60%) + AI (25%) + Data Sovereignty (15%) = Cloud Capacity (100%)

But if that is what the article is talking about, it is in direct contradiction to the header: "Cloud + AI = Storage (and lots of it!)". What is going on here?

Now the graph has split 'Storage' into 'Cloud' + 'Non Cloud'.

My reading of that graph is that 'data created' will increase from a total of 129,361 Exabytes, made up of Cloud Created Data 30,000 and Non-cloud Created Data 99,361 (2023) to a total of 291,122 exabytes Cloud Created Data 100,000 and Non-cloud Created Data 191,122 (2027). I calculate the respective growth rates as follows:

Cloud Created Data: 30,000(1+g)^4=100,000 => (1+g)^4=3.333 => (1+g)=1.35 => g=35%
    Non-cloud Created Data: 99,361(1+g)^4=191,277 => (1+g)^4=1.925 => (1+g)=1.18 => g=18%
    Total Created Data: 129,361(1+g)^4=291,122 => (1+g)^4=2.250 => (1+g)= 1.22 => g=22%

The writer of the article then says
    "Certainly, cloud storage is the mainstay, representing around 60% of global centre demand."

But the graph shows the exact opposite of that. It looks to me that although demand for cloud created data is growing faster, even by 2027 it will only amount to 30% of all data stored, the remaining 70% being 'non-cloud'. So it looks to me as though despite the huge growth of data centres, still by far the largest opportunity is to sell the computing power for creating data 'off cloud'. Which then creates an opportunity for that data to get stored 'on cloud' (or does it)?

Jaa I have a feeling you are a lot more au fait with this datacentre stuff than me. The article seems a bit fast and loose with definitions. The net result being I can't understand the article. What on earth are they trying to say? I get the overall message that 'investing in data centres is a great opportunity'. But then the content in the graph in the article appears to not support that proposition.

Can you tech-translate for me?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; Yesterday at 09:28 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    I also have no idea why they are throwing a lazy $US100m at "IoT, Big Data, and Security" venture fund, Clearvision Ventures. There goes half the money from the retail offer. Investors are paying fees on top of fees on that one. The only investment they disclose, Chargepoint Holdings has done terribly. Must be cool to visit Sand Hill Road and chit chat though.
    From the Infratil Annual Report:

"The strategic objective of the investment is to help Infratil's businesses identify and engage with technology changes that will impact their activities."

The 50% gain on funds employed so far is just a bonus

Now if you thought that AI would be useful for something it would be digging up the details on private venture funds but it turns out AI is as useless at that as it is most other stuff.

But I do know that Clearvision have made at least 20 investments and I am pretty confident that they made a profit when they exited Chargepoint just over 4 years ago.
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Refunds have been paid today.
    I got 1.077 of the allocation 136/1000 in the prospectus, however the small amount of over subscription has been credited back today, so no complaints.
    Apparently my average purchase price is NZD 5.646, so I appear to have been fleeced