sharetrader
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: UK Election

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The vagaries of FPP - you can get a good percentage of the vote but next to no seats. The Conservative Party had let down a significant proportion of their supporters with corruption, empty promises and failed policy. Farage and Reform got much of their support. Johnson said he had Brexit done - it was not of course. Truss crashed the economy. The Cons kept immigration high, despite many Conservative supporters being against it. I am surprised that Farage’s party did not do even better.

The Brits will be hoping that Labour will not become feral in office with such a landslide of seats. In the same tragic manner that the Conservatives became with their good majority.
    Good synopsis. I see the Liberal Democrats are also picking up a significant share of the vote.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Good synopsis. I see the Liberal Democrats are also picking up a significant share of the vote.
    As far as I can see it is less than 1% more than the last election. The Scottish Nationalists look like they are on course to loose about 3/4 of their seats. The Scots don’t like being ripped off!

The pound is stable in the forex markets. Previously the prospect of a Labour Government has been seen as negative.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 05-07-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

.....The Brits will be hoping that Labour will not become feral in office with such a landslide of seats. In the same tragic manner that the Conservatives became with their good majority.
    Good luck with that if Ardern's mob are any comparison. Labour will probably struggle to wrangle its MPs with such a large majority. Many will never have been in government before either.

The UK has almost been a mirror image of NZ through the covid era. A terrible opposition letting a poor government off the hook. It now finds itself an outlier with Europe and its swing to the Right.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Good luck with that if Ardern's mob are any comparison. Labour will probably struggle to wrangle its MPs with such a large majority. Many will never have been in government before either.

The UK has almost been a mirror image of NZ through the covid era. A terrible opposition letting a poor government off the hook. It now finds itself an outlier with Europe and its swing to the Right.
    There will be a lot of inexperience in their parliament and probably quite a few lefty firebrands. With the new inexperienced right wing reform MPs, there should be some interesting debates.

There has been a drop in turnout as the public have been turned off from politics by the antics of the Conservatives and the weak opposition from Labour,

With the terrible choice of candidates for US President, the Anglo world is quite uninspiring politically at the moment.

Guru

Hopefully have a referendum to ditch FPP and move towards proportional representation?

That should get support from reform uk and Lib dems. Cons would be on their own arguing against it.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 05-07-2024 at 05:08 PM.

Guru

OR Labour could decide on 4d chess to keep the current voting system, but provide covert "help" to reform UK and therefore split the opposition vote but long term I think FPP is to their disadvantage.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 05-07-2024 at 05:09 PM.

20% of the vote a small minority?
    Wow did they? I just saw they only won 4 seats.
    Old 80:20 rule I suppose, I won't say what I think the 20% represents...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Hopefully have a referendum to ditch FPP and move towards proportional representation?

That should get support from reform uk and Lib dems. Cons would be on their own arguing against it.
    Actually The Libs got 69 seats with 12.1% of the vote, so not too far from what PR would give them. The Libs only increased their vote from 11.6% last election, when they only got 8 seats. However Reform with 12.4% of the vote has only got 4 seats.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Wow did they? I just saw they only won 4 seats.
    Old 80:20 rule I suppose, I won't say what I think the 20% represents...
    It ended up at about 15%, but yes 4 seats. On the other hand the Liberal Democrats got less of the party vote than Reform, but ended up with 71 seats. That's how FPP works.

Legend

It ended up at about 15%, but yes 4 seats. On the other hand the Liberal Democrats got less of the party vote than Reform, but ended up with 71 seats. That's how FPP works.
    My previous post must have been from a progress report. Apologies.