sharetrader
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: UK Election

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Nationalist National Rally makes big gains in the first round of France’s election. There are lots of three way battles for the second round. Brussels may be wondering what is going to hit them. Le Pen wants reform in major areas. The UK always sought exemptions from some of the Euro integrations. Whereas France was a driving force behind them.

Latest:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cn087x77g1dt
    Maybe President Le Pen next time the presidential elections are up for grabs? That would be a fantastic result for France.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Maybe President Le Pen next time the presidential elections are up for grabs? That would be a fantastic result for France.
    I am sketchy when it comes to the current French constitution. I think their parliament has more power than Congress in the USA. I don’t think the French President can overrule parliamentary legislation. I think a Le Pen led RN dominated House could make Macron a lame duck, and pass legislation the President has to implement.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am sketchy when it comes to the current French constitution. I think their parliament has more power than Congress in the USA. I don’t think the French President can overrule parliamentary legislation. I think a Le Pen led RN dominated House could make Macron a lame duck, and pass legislation the President has to implement.
    I am not sure either, but I think you may be correct in that assertion. I do know the PM has more power there than the President but not sure to what extent.

Interesting times in Europe none the less.

I do wonder if the Far Right do gain control in France which is looking more likely, whether it will be the break up of the EU.

The EU is hugely inefficient and you can't have fiscal policy and monetary policy run separately.
    To have one interest rate across Europe is fraught and I'm surprised the EU has lasted this long.

Anyone know what Le Pen's attitude towards the war in Ukraine is?

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post

Anyone know what Le Pen's attitude towards the war in Ukraine is?
    Supports Putin (surprise surprise).

Guru

Will there even be an effective opposition party.. they are remarkably close to the Lib Dems (who are themselves barely relevant).

Pleased to see Farrage 's party only got a small minority.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Pleased to see Farrage 's party only got a small minority.
    20% of the vote a small minority?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Man, the Tories did not just lose... they have taken one Hell of a thumping.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/uk-...N237SSCBNX3FM/

Poor old Chippie here will be left perplexed as to why his curious mob of leftovers didn't have the relevant clues
    to even pull off blowing an avalanche of pastry flakes off the stale burnt sausage rolls last year
    Last edited by nztx; 05-07-2024 at 02:08 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    20% of the vote a small minority?
    The vagaries of FPP - you can get a good percentage of the vote but next to no seats. The Conservative Party had let down a significant proportion of their supporters with corruption, empty promises and failed policy. Farage and Reform got much of their support. Johnson said he had Brexit done - it was not of course. Truss crashed the economy. The Cons kept immigration high, despite many Conservative supporters being against it. I am surprised that Farage’s party did not do even better.

The Brits will be hoping that Labour will not become feral in office with such a landslide of seats. In the same tragic manner that the Conservatives became with their good majority.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 05-07-2024 at 03:21 PM.