sharetrader
Page 363 of 368 FirstFirst ... 263313353359360361362363364365366367 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3680

Thread: IFT - Infratil

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    As the above reference reads. Projecting an incremental 500MW data centre power load from the generators over the next five years. The equivalent of 200,000 more houses in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Are these data centres power hungry and dependent on surety of supply?
    Yes

Just that 0z seemed exposed to power generation shortfall from not enough gas production at the moment and NZ power supply always seems at risk.

Is this a risk to IFT operations?

Or do they just build their own generators and become self reliant?
    You would have to think a data centre operator would have a back up generator supply on site wouldn't you? Otherwise the whole case for being a 'reliable' data provider goes out the window. But upwards of 20MW as a back up generator on site sounds pretty big. I wonder how data centre providers do manage a 'power out' scenario? Anyone know?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 22-06-2024 at 04:35 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Advanced Member

Are these data centres power hungry and dependent on surety of supply?

Just that 0z seemed exposed to power generation shortfall from not enough gas production at the moment and NZ power supply always seems at risk.

Is this a risk to IFT operations?

Or do they just build their own generators and become self reliant?
    They don't build the sites until they have power supply. That was mentioned at the road show.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    They don't build the sites until they have power supply. That was mentioned at the road show.
    Yes but in fairness I don't think that is point Winner was getting at. He (and I) would like to know what happens when the contracted power supply goes down unexpectedly.

SNOOPY

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Yes but in fairness I don't think that is point Winner was getting at. He (and I) would like to know what happens when the contracted power supply goes down unexpectedly.

SNOOPY
    Good point. I am guessing that there would be a penalty of some sort to the power company, as Infratil's customers will also have that built into their contracts. Power guarantee means exactly that.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    From the link
    "CDC has also commissioned Kenshaw to install 4 x 2750kVA Cummins Generators with custom canopies in their brand-new Data centre due for completion in late 2018."

I wonder how big that datacentre in Australia was when it opened in late 2018? The reason I ask is that a 2750kVA Cummins Generator, might otherwise be reported as a 2.75MW Cummins generator. Four of those would produce 4x 2.75MW= 11MW.

That is not enough power to keep a more typically sized for today 20MW data centre on line. CDC would need 8 x 2750kVA Cummins Generators to support that. Crikey! I might have to buy some shares in Cummins!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 22-06-2024 at 05:31 PM.

I'd say there would be a combination of UPS to keep the important things on for a period of time(and provide a clean power supply) as well as some smart load shedding to drop off the unimportant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    SNOOPY
    Ultimately all data centres will need to go to where the power is cheap and reliable, even if it is remote. If not remote, it makes sense for HPC to be colocated with rapid (15 second for example, or faster) curtailment activities such as Bitcoin mining. The overall HPC demand will be more than most people can even imagine, and that's with HPC technology advancement over time. It might take a boom and consolidation to sort this out just like the internet. Yes datacentres have backup which is typically diesel generators onsite but as battery technology improves over time we will see this gradually migrate to battery and with combination HPC-mining you have the best of all worlds.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

Legend

From my AI app:

### Conclusion
    While a power loss at a CDC Data Centre can have significant implications, the robust infrastructure and redundancy measures in place are designed to mitigate impact and ensure that services remain operational. These measures include UPS systems, backup generators, redundant power feeds, data replication, and comprehensive incident response plans. However, the efficiency of these systems can vary, and there may still be brief service interruptions or impacts depending on the specific circumstances and the effectiveness of the data center's contingency planning