sharetrader
Page 1948 of 1956 FirstFirst ... 9481448184818981938194419451946194719481949195019511952 ... LastLast
Results 19,471 to 19,480 of 19558

Thread: Black Monday

Sorry leemsip.
    "stonks" a concentrated artillery bombardment.
    Much like the NZ sharemarket eh at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    It is just AI driving the NASDAQ higher isn't it? Nvidia now worth 3.34T, up 43% in a month and now the most valuable company in the world.

The thing is people are working out it is not real AI, just algebra and therefore derivative. Thus the hallucination problem is built in. Sam Altman has a problem with the truth and has oversold what it can do.

This would be fine, except that AI is very expensive, both to train and to answer queries. Lot of effort now going into more efficient models like GTP4o and caching which need less hardware. Sure the models become a bit less accurate but since you can't rely upon them to be 100% accurate anyway who cares.

Andriy Burkov's twitter makes for interesting reading.

IFT seems to be running into this trap, why would anyone use data centres in Aus/NZ for AI where it costs (way) more to do so?

Pretty near the peak of the bubble IMO.
    Tend to agree. Just hard to know where it tops out. As much as bottom picking creates stinky fingers, top picking can get them burnt.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Excellent. Hopefully it will work out. If I had cash I'd be tempted myself.

In theory maybe my dividend aristocrats might start working as well. Compare and contrast Kernel Wealth's Global 100 fund vs it's Dividend Aristocrat Fund. I have both but wish I had only one.
    My strategy over the last few months has been to reduce (but not stop) Global 100 buying, and start buying Cash Plus Fund (some bonds in there). When I start wondering whether I should be buying Spark is a good sign Aristocrats should be on the menu as well.

I know what you mean. Super hard mentally to add to that fund with the three companies Apple, MSFT and NVIDIA making up over 30 per cent.

However, adding all my Kernel funds together I'm only about 5 per cent NVIDIA, for example. And across all my equity funds I'm only 2.8 per cent or half the S&P500 weighting.

So I tell myself not to touch anything and any spare cash (small amounts) I come across I hold my nose and send it to growthy funds via Kernel or Simplicity's global offering. Feels dirty and I don't want to do it so it's probably the right thing for me to do. I don't need anymore value type stuff.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 20-06-2024 at 12:35 AM.

Everything has a cycle. Sometimes international stocks outperform domestic stocks. Sometimes domestic stocks outperform international or emerging markets. Smart fund managers know how to get peace of cake in every market. As growth stocks are expensive Intelligent smart investors and traders will look elsewhere. Now there are stocks trading under a dollar. Still I won't touch until I see coming turnaround as I got caught to few in the past. I did a small study. One traded somewhere around $24 in the past. Its Downfall is massive. They can go down further unless there is a turnaround.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 20-06-2024 at 07:47 PM.

NZ GDP up 0.2%. More telling GDP per capita down for the March quarter 0.3% and down 2.4% for the year ended March

RBNZ loving the Philips Curve at the moment ….we’ll Allie OK

https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/-/media/pro...lips-curve.pdf
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    RBNZ loving the Philips Curve at the moment ….we’ll Allie OK

https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/-/media/pro...lips-curve.pdf
    More RBNZ ass covering. Rising wages didn't cause inflation. Fuel and other imports drove up inflation. Consumption data spiked during covid lockdowns and monetary stimulus then service inflation grew as restrictions eased and the cost or borrowing grew. Wages increased in an effort to catch up the cost of living crises not as the cause of it. Other than that it is an ideologically driven fantasy. The RBNZ is simply trying to fit a model that attempts to justify their engineered lowering of the standard of living in NZ. The rest of the world has denounced and debunked the Philips Curve

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    More RBNZ ass covering. Rising wages didn't cause inflation. Fuel and other imports drove up inflation. Consumption data spiked during covid lockdowns and monetary stimulus then service inflation grew as restrictions eased and the cost or borrowing grew. Wages increased in an effort to catch up the cost of living crises not as the cause of it. Other than that it is an ideologically driven fantasy. The RBNZ is simply trying to fit a model that attempts to justify their engineered lowering of the standard of living in NZ. The rest of the world has denounced and debunked the Philips Curve
    Wage increased has certainly impacted inflation, it may not have been the underlying cause as you point out but it certainly has had an impact and probably extended the inflationary impact in NZ. I'm not suggesting it wasn't necessary as again you point out people needed more money just to stay afloat, but it certainly pushes up the cost of a latte.

In the last 10 years, the minimum wage is up 63%.
    Last edited by Daytr; 20-06-2024 at 03:20 PM.

It feels like an own goal, us farmers working too hard and are the reason for the economic data not flashing a recession.