sharetrader
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Election

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Well if the people feel that strongly they should campaign for an Exit Partty and convince their fellow electors to follow the shining light of the UK. In the meantime, All member countries appoint commissioners and MPs so have a say in policy and have a veto.
    This is where I disagree with you. I think there is very little appetite for EXITS in most European countries but people want a change of course. Immigration and The Green Deal is what people are mainly revolting against. That's what they are saying in the elections.

Meloni for example has not mentioned exiting the EU since she became PM and has moderated her most contentious policies and is now well liked and constructive on the European scene.. She is reading the room well and is rising in popularity. https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2...e-work-is-poss

I expect the same from all of the ridiculously called "far right" parties that are now coming to power or at least significantly increased strength in numbers. There are already suggestions from LePen's party that Jordan Bardella who lead them in the EU elections will be their PM candidate, not LePen. Maybe she is reading the room right as well !!
    Last edited by iceman; 11-06-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is where I disagree with you. I think there is very little appetite for EXITS in most European countries but people want a change of course. Immigration and The Green Deal is what people are mainly revolting against. That's what they are saying in the elections.

Meloni for example has not mentioned exiting the EU since she became PM and has moderated her most contentious policies and is now well liked and constructive on the European scene.. She is reading the room well and is rising in popularity. https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2...e-work-is-poss

I expect the same from all of the ridiculously called "far right" parties that are now coming to power or at least significantly increased strength in numbers. There are already suggestions from LePen's party that Jordan Bardella who lead them in the EU elections will be their PM candidate, not LePen. Maybe she is reading the room right as well !!
    I agree with that approach. Brexit was a wake-up event for other Nationalist Parties. However the sentiments towards the EU relayed by Blackcap seemed so horrifically extreme.

Guru

The EU politicians responding to the result speak like university lecturers spreading ideals from the comfort of large salaries & far removed from refugee resettlement areas. They always have though. When they speak more like real people they will do better.

I think even nationalists recognise the value of the EU in a world vs China and the US though.

It's only one area- but they see the weak trade deals for instance the UK has signed. It will be like that, but even worse for their own countries since the UK is still on paper, relatively strong for a small/micro world player.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 11-06-2024 at 01:56 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    The EU politicians responding the result speak like university lecturers spreading ideals with the comfort of large salaries and far removed from refugee resettlement areas. They always have though. When they speak more like real people they will do better.

I think even nationalists recognise the value of the EU in a world vs China and the US though.

In one area - but they see the weak trade deals for instance the UK has signed. It will be like that, but even worse for them since the UK is still on paper, relatively strong for a small / micro world player.
    Britain is a diminished power outside of the EU. With the UK in the EU, the USA used the UK as leverage for its policies as a counter against France and Germany. The nations of the EU also considered the UK as a conduit to the USA, Outside the EU, the UK is just a junior partner of the USA with precious little extra leverage. The UK no longer punches above its weight.

Now the UK basically follows either The EU or USA with respect to global issues. The USA is probably starting to regard Germany and France as its main allies in Europe, rather than the UK.

I would rank the UK as similar to Australia with respect to international influence.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 11-06-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Legend

Put to one side whether the EU has too stringent a set of Food standards. As the UK Tories prioritised leaving the EU - and thereby making importing food from its biggest supplier more difficult - it oversaw a steep growth of food banks and food insecurity. Children turn up at school in poor physical shape to be able to learn. Did the Tories want to make the people so desperate that they would be only too happy to accept hormone injected meat from America?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...od-bank-nation
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-06-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I agree with that approach. Brexit was a wake-up event for other Nationalist Parties. However the sentiments towards the EU relayed by Blackcap seemed so horrifically extreme.
    The reason I am so fed up with the EU is because they keep ignoring ordinary people and what people want. They come from a we know best, arrogant approach. Time for change is over, and its time to get rid of this bloated behemoth.

For the record, I would rather be "far right" than far wrong.

Legend

Farage’s party is just about neck-and neck now with the Conservatives. Labour is well ahead but will Farage become leader of the opposition?

Campaign speech from Farage.

https://www.youtube.com/live/U7OoqIs...4TcbzdFoP4rLYj

1% point behind The Conservatives.
    https://news.sky.com/video/reform-uk...-poll-13151549
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-06-2024 at 01:11 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The reason I am so fed up with the EU is because they keep ignoring ordinary people and what people want. They come from a we know best, arrogant approach. Time for change is over, and its time to get rid of this bloated behemoth.

For the record, I would rather be "far right" than far wrong.
    Some of the nationalists Parties are only far right in some respects - Farage’s party may be one of the most right wing of the nationalist parties in Europe.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-06-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    This.

Applies to the country I am still resident of as well. People are fed up with Brussels and would like nothing more than the lot of them are hung.
    So are they proposing well stretched hemp and a clean cervical severance, or is it the fascist piano wire and painful strangulation? Should they get a trial first, or just be sent straight to the camps?

The really scary bit is the prospect that one day, you and your ACT mates might get some real power.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    So are they proposing well stretched hemp and a clean cervical severance, or is it the fascist piano wire and painful strangulation? Should they get a trial first, or just be sent straight to the camps?

The really scary bit is the prospect that one day, you and your ACT mates might get some real power.
    Metaphorically hung. Not the drawn and quartered kind.

If ACT and my mates as you call them (actually I don't really like ACT that much and did not vote for them) ever get real power... why do you think that would be?