Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
I don't think you are correct. High Electricity prices because of the partial sale? You gotta be kidding.

I went back to my student days and had a look what my electricity bill was.

Power is cheaper now on a real basis (obviously not nominal) than it was in the 90's. As is petrol and diesel, but people conveniently forget that.
Kiwi households paying 'almost 80 per cent more for power today than in 1990' after adjusting for inflation - 11 Sep, 2018

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwi-households-paying-almost-80-per-cent-more-for-power-today-than-in-1990/X2XOZM3Z2VBRT3Z2AYMIFOAKXY/#google_vignette

A discussion document for the first phase of the Electricity Pricing Review has this afternoon been released by Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods.

It looked at competition and efficiency, reliability, fairness and affordability for consumers and the industry.
The document finds electricity could be more affordable for Kiwis, with 103,000 households spending more than 10 per cent of their income on power, and when household costs are included, that figure jumping to 175,000.
It also finds "nothing to suggest grid operator Transpower or distributors, as well as retailers, are making excessive profits".

The document points to a two-tier market forming where those who actively shop around for better deals benefit from competition, while those who don't, end up paying higher prices.
Commercial businesses are paying 24 per cent more than almost three decades ago, compared to industrial users who are paying 18 per cent less now compared to then.