PDA

View Full Version : Can you go short NZX instruments?

frostyboy
04-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi can anyone recommend a way to go short NZX stocks/indexes?

I've looked at CFD providers, NZX20 futures brokers and ipredict, but I'm not having much luck

Thanks

noodles
04-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi can anyone recommend a way to go short NZX stocks/indexes?

I've looked at CFD providers, NZX20 futures brokers and ipredict, but I'm not having much luck

Thanks
I Know of 3

1.Forsyth Barr
https://www.forsythbarr.co.nz/investing-with-us/le-short-selling/
This option has been discussed on the forum before. Best search it out. I have not tried it.

2. IG - You can short some NZ stocks listed on the ASX - FBU, TEL, SKT, TME . This service seems to work, but it is limited to a small set.

3. NZX20 futures https://nzx.com/files/static/cms-documents/NZX%2020%20Index%20fact%20sheet.pdf
You can do this through First NZ Capital

Good luck. Trust you know the risks.

Beagle
06-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Futures on the NZX20 seems to be the way to go on this.
Couple of reasons.
1. The Forbar facility is discretionary, they can call you and make you exit the position any time they choose.
2. The heavyweights of the NZX 20 are all very high PE stocks and look fully priced in my opinion.
3. With futures you're in control of when you close out the position.
4. Last but certainly not least based on my years of formerly being a Forbar client. NZX futures does not require you to be a Forbar client.

stoploss
06-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Futures on the NZX20 seems to be the way to go on this.
Couple of reasons.
1. The Forbar facility is discretionary, they can call you and make you exit the position any time they choose.
2. The heavyweights of the NZX 20 are all very high PE stocks and look fully priced in my opinion.
3. With futures you're in control of when you close out the position.
4. Last but certainly not least based on my years of formerly being a Forbar client. NZX futures does not require you to be a Forbar client.

RE 3, How liquid is this contract ?

frostyboy
09-09-2014, 10:46 AM
RE 3, How liquid is this contract ?

I contacted Forsyth Barr and they don't do retail clients for NZX futures. They referred me to BBY and OMF

www.bby.co.nz
Haven't got back to me

www.omf.co.nz
Charge brokereage of $25 and there is a minimum account balance of 10,000NZD