PDA

View Full Version : SPK- Spark NZ (TELCO)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

winner69
11-08-2019, 10:17 AM
At least it is working very well, not even a single stutter watching Tottenham this morning

Go Spurs ....this year is going to be their year

Sideshow Bob
11-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Go Spurs ....this year is going to be their year

That is a Tui!

ratkin
11-08-2019, 11:34 AM
One thing for sure, they would have paid a fortune for those premier league rights, it does not come cheap. Very doubtful they will make it back. I know plenty of football supporters who are not getting it for various reasons, either they do not have great internet connections or they are just technophobes, One I spoke to did not even know what a smart TV was. (Typical Liverpool supporter)

bull....
22-08-2019, 02:45 PM
wonder if we will crack the $4 mark , spk significantly under performing ytd -5% compared to TLS up 39% ytd go figure

looks like it has played catchup with the good result

bull....
27-08-2019, 03:45 PM
on fire one of the best places to have your money this mth

winner69
02-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech guru not that impressed ..from twitterland

@stevebiddle
Best thing Spark could do right now would just be to give TVNZ the rights to every RWC game, not just the All Blacks games and the semis and finals they're already showing FTA.

bull....
05-09-2019, 12:36 PM
spark on fire up 60c from results now wow must be because they maintained there outlook for secure dividends and what a yield lol

RTM
05-09-2019, 12:53 PM
spark on fire up 60c from results now wow must be because they maintained there outlook for secure dividends and what a yield lol

Must be the Rugby World Cup.
I see there is another practice run
Japan v South Africa
Sept 6 10:15pm

If transmitting the Rugby World Cup goes pear shaped, I would guess they will take a bit of a hit.
Conversly…...

RTM
20-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Must be the Rugby World Cup.
I see there is another practice run
Japan v South Africa
Sept 6 10:15pm

If transmitting the Rugby World Cup goes pear shaped, I would guess they will take a bit of a hit.
Conversly…...

Spark Sport:
I heard on the radio this morning that the quality of the "transmission" has been reduced from 60fps to less than 30fps.
This was to ensure that all systems can cope.
The outcome of this is that smoothness of the viewing experience has been compromised.
Disappointing if this is the case, we have these marvellous TV's now and can't feed them properly.
Buggar !
Oooops...maybe not correct.
http://www.screenscribe.net/channels/hot-off-the-press-release-spark-sport-fixes-streaming-fumble/

Been in touch with SPARK. They are quite responsive on the CHAT line. Yes...as long as your equipment is capable....you will enjoy 60FPS.
https://help.sparksport.co.nz/devices-that-support-60-frames-per-second-when-streaming-spark-sport

Big test for SPARK coming up !

Leftfield
20-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Big test for SPARK coming up !

Not looking great from my perspective. I have a Spark account and after being registered to log-in to their spark sport site and testing it over the last week, I today found my log no longer worked. :t_down:

Oh well at least I have TV1 till Spark sort it out.

RTM
20-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Not looking great from my perspective. I have a Spark account and after being registered to log-in to their spark sport site and testing it over the last week, I today found my log no longer worked. :t_down:

Yes....I was helping a friend get set up...he was on SPARK as well.
We couldn't get the login to work....got hold of their help on the phone an they reset the password and then we were away.
But no question....we could not do it on line at all. Very frustrating..

Their on line chat seems quite responsive and helpful.

Marilyn Munroe
20-09-2019, 03:03 PM
The Rugby World Cup is as much a test for ISP's and Chorus as it is for Spark.

Expect animosity and outrage if either of these parties stuffs up. It represents an opportunity for Spark's Xtra service to virtue signal if "a wing and a prayer" ISP's stumble.

If it goes well Chorus will benefit from the public being made aware of switching content delivery from a roof top dish to Chorus fibre.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

RTM
20-09-2019, 03:16 PM
The Rugby World Cup is as much a test for ISP's and Chorus as it is for Spark.

Expect animosity and outrage if either of these parties stuffs up. It represents an opportunity for Spark's Xtra service to virtue signal if "a wing and a prayer" ISP's stumble.

If it goes well Chorus will benefit from the public being made aware of switching content delivery from a roof top dish to Chorus fibre.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

For me Copper VDSL seems to be working fine....up ‘till now, anyway.

Jay
20-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Did you just have the free 7 day trial, :)
I imagine they would have or about to stop offering that now the RWC is about to start or at least restrict it to non RWC sport.
I signed up some months ago, but not for the RWC - mainly for F1 and the WRC - had no issues - minor ones right at the start - and the app is now on my TV, was streaming it from my phone to the TV previously.

RTM
20-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Did you just have the free 7 day trial, :)
I imagine they would have or about to stop offering that now the RWC is about to start or at least restrict it to non RWC sport.
I signed up some months ago, but not for the RWC - mainly for F1 and the WRC - had no issues - minor ones right at the start - and the app is now on my TV, was streaming it from my phone to the TV previously.

The F1 has been great. I’m quite hopeful !

Leftfield
20-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jay.

This is the email sent to me (and yes I did activate it)

Rugby World Cup 2019™ kicks off soon and we see you haven't activated your free Spark Sport RWC 2019™ Tournament Pass yet. Either sign up or log in to Spark Sport to activate your Tournament Pass today. Enter the code below when you sign up and you'll get access to all 48 matches, exclusive pre-tournament content, and more.

They offered free RWC coverage when I signed on for Broadband and mobile..... it all worked fine for awhile. But gone now. Can't Log in. Can't access F1 or anything. I'll update when SPK get back to me.

bull....
21-09-2019, 06:04 AM
opening ceremony for rugby world cup worked fine for me. laptop connected to old tv ( lol 2016 model too old for a app) via hdmi. the real test is tonight ALL BLACKS vrs STH AFRICA.

fungus pudding
21-09-2019, 06:37 AM
opening ceremony for rugby world cup worked fine for me. laptop connected to old tv ( lol 2016 model too old for a app) via hdmi. the real test is tonight ALL BLACKS vrs STH AFRICA.

Picture was just perfect for me. I am really impressed so far. Long live Spark sport. Camera work never as good as NZ sport filming.

RTM
21-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Picture was just perfect for me. I am really impressed so far. Long live Spark sport. Camera work never as good as NZ sport filming.

Yes, and perfect here as well. Copper/VDSL. iPad->Apple TV -> Panasonic
Good start for Spark.

RGR367
22-09-2019, 08:50 AM
I can only complain about the AB's and Boks game last night as we were treated for almost a dozen lapses or lagging instances. There was no problem on the Opening Ceremony the other night and just a bout a thing or two on all the other games. Oh well, they cannot probably perfect it in just a couple of days. But still, kudos should be given to SPK.

Baa_Baa
22-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Perfect here too, for all coverage so far including last nights AB vs SA game, stunning picture quality, no glitches whatsoever. CopperVDSL -> NetGear Nighthawk -> iPhone SparkApp -> ChromeCast -> Sony HDTV.

Brilliant :D

bull....
22-09-2019, 09:09 AM
I can only complain about the AB's and Boks game last night as we were treated for almost a dozen lapses or lagging instances. There was no problem on the Opening Ceremony the other night and just a bout a thing or two on all the other games. Oh well, they cannot probably perfect it in just a couple of days. But still, kudos should be given to SPK.

i had easy a dozen buffering issues which by the end of the game it was 2 mins behind live. also at 1 stage i lost video and audio and had to reset page and another instance of video freeze but audio carried on. overall was disappointing to not have a seamless viewing experience.

ratkin
22-09-2019, 10:00 AM
i had easy a dozen buffering issues which by the end of the game it was 2 mins behind live. also at 1 stage i lost video and audio and had to reset page and another instance of video freeze but audio carried on. overall was disappointing to not have a seamless viewing experience.

Problem is that even a little stuttering ruins the immersion. Instead of concentrating on the game you are wondering if your connection is about to crap out.

What I also find with the football is it uses up a fair bit of your monthly allowance, so if you are not on unlimited (most spark plans are not) then you run out of data mid month.
All part of their cunning plan no doubt. I am on unplan which is progressively more expensive the more data you use, and has a top maximum of 300 gigs. It sounds a lot, but download an xbox game and watch u tube etc plus all the rugby and it will all be gone.

Even worse is that if you get near that 300 Two months in a row they actually start phoning you up complaining you are using too much data, even though you are still within the 300 limit. Pathetic

RTM
22-09-2019, 10:25 AM
We had a really bad experience with the AB game. They earlier games were great. Excellent picture, smooth, clear easy to watch.
But many and varied problems during the AB's game.
Just sound and a green screen.
No sound.
I hear the man this morning saying it was an international problem...but then why did it only happen with the AB's game ? Seems like a load issue. And not sure that will be easy to resolve.

Fortunately...the sun did still come up this morning.

( Copper / VDSL -> iPad -> AppleTV -> Panasonic TV)

fungus pudding
22-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Problem is that even a little stuttering ruins the immersion. Instead of concentrating on the game you are wondering if your connection is about to crap out.

What I also find with the football is it uses up a fair bit of your monthly allowance, so if you are not on unlimited (most spark plans are not) then you run out of data mid month.
All part of their cunning plan no doubt. I am on unplan which is progressively more expensive the more data you use, and has a top maximum of 300 gigs. It sounds a lot, but download an xbox game and watch u tube etc plus all the rugby and it will all be gone.

Even worse is that if you get near that 300 Two months in a row they actually start phoning you up complaining you are using too much data, even though you are still within the 300 limit. Pathetic

You do not have to be with spark. Any provider will do. Phone them up and ask to upgrade to unlimited, and if they mention an extra charge tell them to hold fire because you are going to switch to another provider with a better plan. I have done it several times and ended up with unlimited, nation wide toll calling and all sorts of goodies, plus a discount. That's with Vodafone. They have a 'customer retention officer' you can ask to speak to. Other telecoms will be just as keen to hang onto you. With Netflix, replay and on demand unlimited will become standard soon I imagine.
You can even lie through your teeth and tell them an opposition isp has knocked on your door, canvassing for business, with a great deal, but you are reluctant to change. (There really are door knockers ding the rounds, so they won't doubt you.) All's fair in love, war, and dealing with telcos.

ScrappyO
22-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Im on fibre and it was a quality issue for me. The screens frame rate intermittently changed. I Ended up watching the second half on Duke. As a Shareholder its very disappointing. Fingers crossed that they can sort it out as quick as possible.

Bobdn
22-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Spk not doing so well. Are people waking up to the fact that the "content game" is expensive?

Ferret was expensive. TiVo was expensive. The little excursion to Australia? Expensive. Light box? Expensive.

Looking forward to finding out how much the WRC will cost along with Spark Sport. I imagine it will be...expensive.

Back from self exile. My post from February. Wow - how unfortunate. So not only did Spark pay a huge amount for the WRC rights but it turns out they can't actually get the product out to all it's customers. I guess this is bad, right? I'm not all that savvy in the ways of big business so not 100 per cent sure.

Some customers demanding refunds! Again, on the surface, sounds bad. But again, I could be missing nuance.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12269753

I was picking up Spark shares (Telecom, of course) for a $1.90 something after the Xtra mobile "troubles" in 2009. If the price gets cheap from here I might consider reinvesting.

Update:

Rugby is free today and refunds are also being offered! Ok,ok, hmmm, trying to work through all this: Spark goes from selling phones in malls and hooking up telephones to the extraordinary complex world of content management and sports broadcasting; it pays a huge amount of money for the broadcast rights; hands the product out for free and also gives out refunds as well. Yes, yes, I'm trying to keep up but to be honest I'm struggling. Business at the big end of town is really complicated. What am I missing here? How does this make money?

RTM
22-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Back from self exile. My post from February. Wow - how unfortunate. So not only did Spark pay a huge amount for the WRC rights but it turns out they can't actually get the product out to all it's customers. I guess this is bad, right? I'm not all that savvy in the ways of big business so not 100 per cent sure.

Some customers demanding refunds! Again, on the surface, sounds bad. But again, I could be missing nuance.

I was picking up Spark shares (Telecom, of course) for a $1.90 something after the Xtra mobile "troubles" in 2009. If the price gets cheap from here I might consider reinvesting.

Update:

Rugby is free today and refunds are also being offered! Ok,ok, hmmm, trying to work through all this: Spark goes from selling phones in malls and hooking up telephones to the extraordinary complex world of content management and sports broadcasting; it pays a huge amount of money for the broadcast rights; hands the product out for free and also gives out refunds as well. Yes, yes, I'm trying to keep up but to be honest I'm struggling. Business at the big end of town is really complicated. What am I missing here? How does this make money?

Nope….don't think you're missing much. I would guess this is far from a money making exercise so far. Presumably TVNZ are charging them a bit to be their backstop as well.
And trying to "blackmail" customers into upgraded packages at the last minute....not a great loyalty generating exercise. I don't hold SPARK....but will watch the SP with interest tomorrow morning.
As an aside...for us...when it works well, the picture, all aspects, is way way better than what we get delivered via Freeview Satellite. Its really good. So I hope they can make it work. Or get half their subscribers over to TV1 so the streamed service works 100% again.

fungus pudding
22-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Nope….don't think you're missing much. I would guess this is far from a money making exercise so far. Presumably TVNZ are charging them a bit to be their backstop as well.
And trying to "blackmail" customers into upgraded packages at the last minute....not a great loyalty generating exercise. I don't hold SPARK....but will watch the SP with interest tomorrow morning.
As an aside...for us...when it works well, the picture, all aspects, is way way better than what we get delivered via Freeview Satellite. Its really good. So I hope they can make it work. Or get half their subscribers over to TV1 so the streamed service works 100% again.

I agree that the picture is far better than Satellite - other than a few seconds of picture defragmenting during commentary at half - time. For me it was nowhere near as bad as the odd 'atmospheric conditions' interference with conventional TV viewing. Obviously some viewers did have problems; and even though I didn't, if they want to give me a credit, well - who am I to say no.

Jay
22-09-2019, 03:14 PM

All part of their cunning plan no doubt. I am on unplan which is progressively more expensive the more data you use, and has a top maximum of 300 gigs. It sounds a lot, but download an xbox game and watch u tube etc plus all the rugby and it will all be gone

Also on the unplan , think I have only gone as far as about 150GB - did not pay for the rugby, but use the Spark sport for WRC (rally) and F1 in the main so far, but if they start complaining I would say, well hang on I'm paying for your Spark app/plus the Rugby WC as well and surely as fungus mentioned, with all the streaming now they cannot start to limit the download amount if on unlimited or increase it to 500Gb or more before they start complaining.

TideMan
22-09-2019, 03:36 PM
We're on holiday in Wanaka. The resort has ADSL => WiFi => Laptop => HDMI to TV. 1GB limit per day.
Would we get the full AB SA game before using up our bandwidth?
Yes, we did and apart from a few minor buffering moments, it was perfect.
But I don't like the commentary team. Donald is dumb and Stevenson says some silly things:
As Mo'unga kicks a penalty he says: "Just like changing gear in a Cortina". What does that mean?
We had a Cortina 50 years ago, but I still don't understand it.

RTM
22-09-2019, 05:01 PM
We're on holiday in Wanaka. The resort has ADSL => WiFi => Laptop => HDMI to TV. 1GB limit per day.
Would we get the full AB SA game before using up our bandwidth?
Yes, we did and apart from a few minor buffering moments, it was perfect.
But I don't like the commentary team. Donald is dumb and Stevenson says some silly things:
As Mo'unga kicks a penalty he says: "Just like changing gear in a Cortina". What does that mean?

We had picture and no sound for a bit last night. My wife thought I'd turned the sound off.
It actually wasn't to bad. That's they great thing about TV...we can see it...which they don't seem to realise !!!

RGR367
22-09-2019, 07:42 PM

We was referring to George Bridge way of putting that ball down for a try, which was like shifting a gear.

fungus pudding
22-09-2019, 09:58 PM
First two games today absolutely crystal clear viewing at this humble dwelling on spark. Only England vs Tonga to go but I'm all rugbied out now. One advantage of viewing on spark is game can be watched at any time over next 30 days.

Bobdn
22-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Is there any chance the Spark price could have a 3 in front of it tomorrow? I would like some if it gets down that low. I have money on a two month term deposit earning 1 per cent which really doesn't get the baby bathed. I'm still invested in shares with 63.6% in equities. The rest fixed interest (managed funds bonds rather than term deposits for the most part) and a tiny amount in a gold ETF.

Things have been going swimmingly to be honest. I don't need much more exposure to shares but I'd quite happily add Spark should things over shoot to the downside this week (drop in price! I watch too much CNBC - who the hell do I think I am)

My only fear is that this was a very bad call to buy content and do Sports broadcasting. Will the Board learn some sort of lesson here?

Leftfield
23-09-2019, 07:05 AM
I'm not a Spark share holder, but am a Spark customer and while I believe Spark deserve Kudos for trying to deliver a cheaper/better (than Sky) sports service, I think they still need to seriously ramp up their customer services.

The Spark modem supplied by Spark (at a cost) proved faulty and my old modem proved superior.

The browser issues that prevented me from logging in were sorted but needed over an hour of time on the phone with Spark whose service did not inspire confidence.

To their credit Spark have offered refunds/credits.

So Kudos for Spark for trying to offer competition to Sky. I hope they learn and rapidly improve. I'm unlikely to become a share holder based on my customer experience....at this stage.

Jay
23-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Recorded the All Black game on TV1 and watched Sunday morning - No issues for me :) . Scotty is OK as a commentator - but have to agree SD is no Justin Marshall or even Kamo for that matter. Think Scotty needs someone better to add to his commentary as when he was doing the Sky commentary he seemed Ok

Beagle
23-09-2019, 11:48 AM
All fixed (cough cough, yeah right) https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/116004263/rest-of-rugby-world-cup-will-stream-perfectly-spark-sport-boss-says

Bobdn
23-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Share price holding up well now (sadly, as I wanted to buy). Oh well.

dobby41
23-09-2019, 12:34 PM
All fixed (cough cough, yeah right) https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/116004263/rest-of-rugby-world-cup-will-stream-perfectly-spark-sport-boss-says

Certainly the cause is known and fixed.
Stick to accounting?

RTM
23-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Yes.....its hard to be confident that they have truly resolved the problem and not sure we will ever know.
For our household the streaming was GREAT up until the All Blacks game.
And since then (yesterday) it has been GREAT as well. The picture is fantastic, better than what we usually get over FreeView Satellite.
But will they ever get to stress the system again with an All Blacks vs South Africa type load (I'm assuming its a load issue...Spark seem to be saying it wasn't ? ) ?
Maybe not given the nature of the rest of the pool games and the Semi Finals and Finals being live on Duke. The Quarter Final (not live on Duke) is likely against a weaker team...Scotland ? ….and late at night (11:15)

dobby41
23-09-2019, 01:24 PM
(I'm assuming its a load issue...Spark seem to be saying it wasn't ? ) ?

You assume you know better than Spark?

RTM
23-09-2019, 01:31 PM
You assume you know better than Spark?

Nope….that's why I added that. But their communication to date has not convinced me that it is not a load issue. It seems incredible strange that all was excellent until the AB's game.
I'm hoping they do have it sorted. Just not sure with the configuration of the balance of the tournament...that we, including Spark, will ever really know.
I'm a supporter of what they are doing, egg all over my face after Saturday night with my friends.

fungus pudding
23-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Spark are not showing tonight's game on Duke. Their email announcement states all problems resolved, and they wouldn't say that at this stage if they weren't supremely confident.

RTM
23-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Spark are not showing tonight's game on Duke. Their email announcement states all problems resolved, and they wouldn't say that at this stage if they weren't supremely confident.

They were also pretty confident before the tournament that all would be ok.

Bobdn
23-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Good read:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/23-09-2019/all-the-winners-and-losers-of-sparks-abject-disaster-of-a-weekend/

fungus pudding
23-09-2019, 07:22 PM
They were also pretty confident before the tournament that all would be ok.

Indeed, but if they haven't solved the teething troubles as they are now claiming they have - they will not be forgiven. There'll be a real price to pay, and they know it.

fungus pudding
23-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Picture definition of Wales game is perfect. Far crisper than I have ever seen on sky. I have only watched first 20 mins but not interested in whole game. All games have been brilliant on my set so I expected this to be same. I hope this is the case for all others for the rest of the RWC.

Bobdn
23-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Sky Sport Now streams at 1080p and 60 frames per second. I assume you haven't seen that and are referring to satellite?

Stuff had two streams running in it's office which worked perfectly so that's good news.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116032159/rugby-world-cup-spark-sports-stream-working-well-for-most-not-for-all

fungus pudding
24-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Sky Sport Now streams at 1080p and 60 frames per second. I assume you haven't seen that and are referring to satellite?

Stuff had two streams running in it's office which worked perfectly so that's good news.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116032159/rugby-world-cup-spark-sports-stream-working-well-for-most-not-for-all

I am referring to satellite. The only streaming of sky I'm aware of is through fan pass, or sky go. Both hopeless.

Bobdn
24-09-2019, 12:31 AM
No, Sky Sport Now (which replaced Fan Pass) is good. From what I've read recently, and through my own experience, it's much better than the Spark platform.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12266326

Will be interesting to see if Spark perseveres with Sport at all. After reading this article, I'm guessing "no".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116005232/rugby-world-cup-2019-why-spark-sport-may-not-get-a-second-chance

fungus pudding
24-09-2019, 04:47 AM
No, Sky Sport Now (which replaced Fan Pass) is good. From what I've read recently, and through my own experience, it's much better than the Spark platform.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12266326

Will be interesting to see if Spark perseveres with Sport at all. After reading this article, I'm guessing "no".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116005232/rugby-world-cup-2019-why-spark-sport-may-not-get-a-second-chance

I wasn't aware of the change from fan pass, which was useless. But I see sky sport now is $49.50 per month - as opposed to spark at $22; so I hope spark survives.

Jay
24-09-2019, 07:53 AM
The problem Spark have is, if half of the issues , or more, was with the customers set up who would know, the customer would be blaming Spark.
Personally have had no issues with WRC and F1 of late, in the early days there were a few minor issues, only to be expected.
One thing they did 'fix' with F1 was when Sky Sports UK went to a break the screen just went blank initially, so you thought something had gone wrong, now a banner goes up and/or you get the static Sky Sport F1 logo
But with only 100K+ subscribers hardly a big money spinner and with the issues, not going to encourage many more.

fungus pudding
24-09-2019, 08:40 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/116007696/rugby-world-cup-2019-spark-sports-streaming-of-is-a-national-tragedy-or-is-it

peat
24-09-2019, 10:32 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/116007696/rugby-world-cup-2019-spark-sports-streaming-of-is-a-national-tragedy-or-is-it

indeed, I've been appalled at the amount of criticism thrown at Spark. Sure I cant know what others saw but here in a town a long way from anywhere the game streamed pretty okay with just some moments of slight degradation. Not enough to get concerned about though obviously it would be better without it.

I've only streamed TV etc for well over a year ago using an Apple TV as front end, and there are the odd glitches, sometimes its the app (just close and restart usually fixes it) sometimes worse but in the internet world there are so many possibilities. I think its unfair to assume that all of those glitches were Sparks fault.
I think it was well done Spark, and they will improve and improve.

Disc - NOT a holder, but do have all my internet and phone services directly with them.

Sideshow Bob
24-09-2019, 11:34 AM
indeed, I've been appalled at the amount of criticism thrown at Spark. Sure I cant know what others saw but here in a town a long way from anywhere the game streamed pretty okay with just some moments of slight degradation. Not enough to get concerned about though obviously it would be better without it.

I've only streamed TV etc for well over a year ago using an Apple TV as front end, and there are the odd glitches, sometimes its the app (just close and restart usually fixes it) sometimes worse but in the internet world there are so many possibilities. I think its unfair to assume that all of those glitches were Sparks fault.
I think it was well done Spark, and they will improve and improve.

Disc - NOT a holder, but do have all my internet and phone services directly with them.

This is the age where people love to be outraged...….and then the media builds it up further......

airedale
24-09-2019, 12:07 PM
You are right Bob, OUTRAGE it is the new national pastime.

dobby41
24-09-2019, 12:09 PM
This is the age where people love to be outraged...….and then the media builds it up further......

Like ........

Marilyn Munroe
24-09-2019, 01:24 PM

I have noticed when a story may also concern redistribution of the advertising revenue pie, news media is extremely diligent in pursuing the public's right to know and sticking up for the common man.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

tim23
24-09-2019, 06:44 PM
You are right Bob, OUTRAGE it is the new national pastime.

Good call - you should have heard the Hawksby/Hosking double team yesterday on Newstalk ZB at least they can stop bagging the coalition for a day!

bull....
29-09-2019, 08:52 AM
no issues so far since theere stated fix for last weekend. great game between japan and ireland the atmosphere sounded electric

RTM
29-09-2019, 10:26 AM
no issues so far since theere stated fix for last weekend. great game between japan and ireland the atmosphere sounded electric

Yes...loved the game and the actual game transmits fine. Really happy with the picture quality. But when we go to half time...or when it switches adds between or before halves...the picture freezes and the sound continues. Easy enough to rectify, but annoying just the same. I'm pleased I'm not having to explain to my mother (89) how to rectify glitches like this. Ive advised SPARK....they say they have a fix coming..... ! I'll follow up.

horus1
29-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Hawksby/Hosking are terribly biased. Should be off the air for biased reporting ,wife listens I will not touch anything they advertise. Wasn't he against climate change? You have to adjust share portfolio for the affects of this.

fungus pudding
29-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Hawksby/Hosking are terribly biased. Should be off the air for biased reporting ,wife listens I will not touch anything they advertise. Wasn't he against climate change? You have to adjust share portfolio for the affects of this.

Neither of them are reporters. They are perfectly entitled to any independent opinion. I'm not sure what these 'affects' are that you can adjust your share portfolio for. Neither am I sure how anyone can be against climate change. Do you mean like the Swedish girl and the street march protesters?

ratkin
30-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Only 115k subscribers watched the Aussie Wales match and quite a lot of technical issues.

people have figured out the best way to watch the games is free on ITV (British tv) using a VPN
very little difference in quality and does not cost anything.

This is the problem with Spark moving into online streaming, not only will they have to compete with the likes of Amazon but it is difficult to prevent people finding free ways to watch content.

bull....
30-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Only 115k subscribers watched the Aussie Wales match and quite a lot of technical issues.

people have figured out the best way to watch the games is free on ITV (British tv) using a VPN

This is the problem with Spark moving into online streaming, not only will they have to compete with the likes of Amazon but it is difficult to prevent people finding free ways to watch content.

no problems for me watching wales/aus game. your right about plenty of free streams around to watch , hear at the uni halls they all gather in there pods to watch the games on a free stream. obviously because they cant afford to pay

Aaron
30-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Neither of them are reporters. They are perfectly entitled to any independent opinion.

I read their headlines in the Herald sometimes, for a laugh, their relentless moaning about the government has got to the point of being comedic.

fungus pudding
30-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Have they really? I think very few would have figured it out. Mention VPN to most people and watch their eyes glaze over.

mcdongle
30-09-2019, 09:38 AM
No problems watching the game

blackcap
30-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Have they really? I think very few would have figured it out. Mention VPN to most people and watch their eyes glaze over.

Quite a few people I know watch all their sport for free and have done for years. Not necessarily via a VPN either, but I know plenty that use VPN's. Depends on what age demographic you ask. Over 50's may struggle with the VPN concept but under 40's certainly have no issue.

RupertBear
30-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Well I have no idea what a VPN is :confused: I watched the Aussie Wales game last night, it was the first game I have watched using the Spark Sport app and a chrome cast thingy to cast to my quite old TV. I had no problems at all so happy customer :) great game

fungus pudding
30-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Well I have no idea what a VPN is :confused: I watched the Aussie Wales game last night, it was the first game I have watched using the Spark Sport app and a chrome cast thingy to cast to my quite old TV. I had no problems at all so happy customer :) great game

You might have to wait until you're under 50. :blink:

dobby41
30-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Or not if he is happy with what he has.
Sometimes these things are solutions looking for a problem - to the beholder anyway.

RupertBear
30-09-2019, 04:35 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok so I googled VPN, apparently its a Virtual Private Network for those of you who are like the Bear and have no idea what it is. :eek2:

TBO I still have no idea what it is :confused: so think I will stick with my Spark app, my wee chrome cast thingy and my old TV :cool: while it works off course.

allfromacell
30-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Ok so I googled VPN, apparently its a Virtual Private Network for those of you who are like the Bear and have no idea what it is. :eek2:

TBO I still have no idea what it is :confused: so think I will stick with my Spark app, my wee chrome cast thingy and my old TV :cool: while it works off course.

Just think of it as a virtual tunnel to another country. You connect your VPN choose California and suddenly every website you visit it looks like you’re in California (your connection quite literally is). So if an American broadcaster has the rights to show a game to only people stateside people can easily get around it by tunneling into an American node and the broadcaster can't tell the difference.

RupertBear
30-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Just think of it as a virtual tunnel to another country. You connect your VPN choose California and suddenly every website you visit it looks like you’re in California (your connection quite literally is). So if an American broadcaster has the rights to show a game to only people stateside people can easily get around it by tunneling into an American node and the broadcaster can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the explanation allfromacell. And is this virtual tunnel easy to set up and is it legal? :confused: The Bear is averse to ending up in a cage :(

allfromacell
30-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Hmm and is this virtual tunnel easy to set up and is it legal? :confused: The Bear is averse to ending up in a cage :(

It's straightforward to setup on your computer but might be tricky if you want to get your TV or another device connected.

The VPN connection is legal but what you do with it may not be, probably best to stick to the Spark sport :).

fungus pudding
30-09-2019, 05:00 PM

TBO I still have no idea what it is :confused:

And I have no idea what TBO means.

blackcap
30-09-2019, 05:08 PM

See I have dutch heritage and like watching dutch TV shows on demand. Problem is when I try and watch live stuff on NOS.nl it tells me that I cannot view that in my current location. So I switch on the VPN which then tells the NOS that my IP is coming from somewhere in the Netherlands. And hey presto I can view product. Many VPN's on the market and some good ones available from between $5 -$10 per month.

RupertBear
30-09-2019, 06:42 PM
And I have no idea what TBO means.

Oh dear I think the Bear meant TBH! :rolleyes: But if you Google TBO it says it means “to be honest”. But why is that? :confused: I guess the moral of the story is just write the words in full for goodness sake! :D

FatTed
30-09-2019, 06:55 PM
I can watch SparkSport in USA France and England using A VPN but only on my 4th generation ipad (iOS 10.3.3) not possible on my computer (OS 10.14.6) or my phone( iOS 12.4) or my wife's new ipad Pro. must have something else bleeding location

Baa_Baa
30-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Looks like I'm just one of the majority who have enjoyed an impeccable service from Spark Sport, all games have streamed perfectly and I'm really impressed by the very high quality picture definition and the new interesting camera angles. So good I've even watched a few other (non AB games). The Tonga / Argentina was most enjoyable though shame Tonga didn't bring their best game imo, but the Japan / Ireland game, what a stunner. Can't wait for Wednesday's AB's / Canada.

:t_up: Well done SparkSport.

fungus pudding
30-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Oh dear I think the Bear meant TBH! :rolleyes: But if you Google TBO it says it means “to be honest”. But why is that? :confused: I guess the moral of the story is just write the words in full for goodness sake! :D

When I googled it I got loads of guff about a travel agency - but these days I'm a home-loving type, so not much good to me TBH.:p

RupertBear
30-09-2019, 09:06 PM
When I googled it I got loads of guff about a travel agency - but these days I'm a home-loving type, so not much good to me TBH.:p

TBH :p thats what I got when I first googled it as well, then I got Time Between Overhauls :eek2::lol:

winner69
05-10-2019, 07:32 PM
worth a go for some enterprising lawyers

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12273914

and M O'D said they failed from a tech/customer pov
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/116296708/rugby-world-cup-2019-spark-sport-allowed-bugs-to-bite-customers

fungus pudding
05-10-2019, 10:11 PM
TBH :p thats what I got when I first googled it as well, then I got Time Between Overhauls :eek2::lol:

Anyway, o is not just for honest; here's another use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIZF8uUTtk

RupertBear
06-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Anyway, o is not just for honest; here's another use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIZF8uUTtk

O for Awesome :eek2: thats Owesome! :D

bull....
10-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Pay TV wars: Spark Sport nab cricket rights from Sky
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12275143

big score for spark , i would say if they get rugby rights / soccer that will be the end of sky

10-10-2019, 10:56 AM
From a consumer perspective do we want that though? Then we just have another decade of a monopolised sport platform in Spark.
Shareprice wise yea sure, competition and innovation wise, horrible for NZ

Pay TV wars: Spark Sport nab cricket rights from Sky

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12275143

big score for spark , i would say if they get rugby rights / soccer that will be the end of sky

ratkin
10-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Is the cricket going to cost extra, or be covered in the same price as the football

percy
10-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Is the cricket going to cost extra, or be covered in the same price as the football

$18 a month.

sb9
10-10-2019, 11:11 AM
$18 a month.

Now, that's quite an affordable price per month to watch a sport like cricket.

ratkin
10-10-2019, 11:13 AM

But not so attracive if also paying for football, if each sport is an added cost then the total package for any multi sport fan (most are) is quite expensive

blackcap
10-10-2019, 11:13 AM

No its not. That is usury. I also have to pay $42 pm for NBA, $30pm for rugby, $x per month for athletics, $x per month for nfl, $x per month for football and I am paying well more than SKY charge with all the extra channels they provide.

I am not defending SKY as I think they could have innovated a lot earlier, but for the consumer who likes to watch a little of a lot of different sports this unbundling is a disaster.

fungus pudding
10-10-2019, 11:20 AM
$18 a month.

Where did you get that from?

ratkin
10-10-2019, 11:20 AM
No its not. That is usury. I also have to pay $42 pm for NBA, $30pm for rugby, $x per month for athletics, $x per month for nfl, $x per month for football and I am paying well more than SKY charge with all the extra channels they provide.

I am not defending SKY as I think they could have innovated a lot earlier, but for the consumer who likes to watch a little of a lot of different sports this unbundling is a disaster.

Maybe not such a disaster for Spark though

fungus pudding
10-10-2019, 11:43 AM
But not so attracive if also paying for football, if each sport is an added cost then the total package for any multi sport fan (most are) is quite expensive

As I read it, most sports are covered by the spark sport subscription, a monthly fee of $19.95 - which can be purchased just for months you want. Only special events like World cup require separate payments.
Loos to me like an excellent deal compared to Sky, which would only sell you sports in a package with all sorts of junk you may not want. While I appreciate some viewers may not have the bugs sorted out yet, for me the RWC has been crystal clear, both audio and video, with no problems at all. A far better, sharper picture than I have ever see on Sky.

bull....
10-10-2019, 11:52 AM
From a consumer perspective do we want that though? Then we just have another decade of a monopolised sport platform in Spark.
Shareprice wise yea sure, competition and innovation wise, horrible for NZ

good in the long run for spk share price also good for consumer if the price for sport is cheaper than sky. anyway in the future there is no guarantee spark will have a monopoly even if sky dies as the likes of amazon , google and facebook etc might become competitors for sports rights. for spark to really get the revenue flowing they need to get better covergae to the outbacks oh i mean regions lol

ratkin
10-10-2019, 11:53 AM
As I read it, most sports are covered by the spark sport subscription, a monthly fee of $19.95 - which can be purchased just for months you want. Only special events like World cup require separate payments.
Loos to me like an excellent deal compared to Sky, which would only sell you sports in a package with all sorts of junk you may not want. While I appreciate some viewers may not have the bugs sorted out yet, for me the RWC has been crystal clear, both audio and video, with no problems at all. A far better, sharper picture than I have ever see on Sky.

Ah ok, so this 18 dollars for just cricket might actually be fake news

tga_trader
10-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Yeah Spark answered an question about it on facebook and said that the cricket would be included in the standard price.

dobby41
10-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Where did percy get it from I wonder?

ratkin
10-10-2019, 12:04 PM
It the lead story on the news. "future proofing the game" was main reason given by the cricket guy. Makes sense, being tied to sky for Six years would not be an attractive prospect, and streaming is just going to get bigger, faster more interactive

ratkin
10-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Yeah Spark answered an question about it on facebook and said that the cricket would be included in the standard price.

In that case it a very good deal, the premier league coverage is great, add the cricket in plus plenty of tennis and formula one and that is going to appeal to a lot of people

ratkin
10-10-2019, 12:17 PM
What they really need now is a top sport that runs from May to October. Currently there is a big hole. Premier league football and cricket in NZ will both be over by May, and would be a good excuse for people to unsubscribe until September. They need something to fill that gap

mondograss
10-10-2019, 12:29 PM
What they really need now is a top sport that runs from May to October. Currently there is a big hole. Premier league football and cricket in NZ will both be over by May, and would be a good excuse for people to unsubscribe until September. They need something to fill that gap

Many golf and tennis majors fall in that period I think you'll find. Might be enough to keep some subscribers going. AFL is the only other thing I can think of around then.

blackcap
10-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Many golf and tennis majors fall in that period I think you'll find. Might be enough to keep some subscribers going. AFL is the only other thing I can think of around then.

Tennis, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US open fall between May and October.

ratkin
10-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Tennis, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US open fall between May and October.

Spark do not have any of those though, do they?

blackcap
10-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Spark do not have any of those though, do they?

No I don't think so. Sky show the French and US Open, TVNZ wimbledon.

Bobdn
10-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Bad news for Spark, "winning" more sports content. I wonder if Spark will be able to maintain its dividend?

stoploss
10-10-2019, 06:03 PM
F1, ( lost )
TDF still have it

Bobdn
15-10-2019, 05:38 PM
I wonder what the total cost will be for Spark's content shopping spree.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/15-10-2019/skys-huge-rugby-rights-win-everything-you-need-to-know/ (https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/15-10-2019/skys-huge-rugby-rights-win-everything-you-need-to-know/)

"Independent sources tell me that Sky had offered a 50% mark-up on its previous cricket deal and that didn’t even get close to what Spark put on the table."

RTM
15-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Big game for Spark coming up....AB’s vs Ireland.
Maybe it being a late one, 11:15, will take the pressure off a bit ?
Oh...and it’s a big one for the AB’s as well.

fungus pudding
15-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Big game for Spark coming up....AB’s vs Ireland.
Maybe it being a late one, 11:15, will take the pressure off a bit ?
Oh...and it’s a big one for the AB’s as well.

Also on TV 1 which will take pressure off a bit. The one I reckon will test it is Japan vs South Africa, given that Japan-Scotland has been the best game to watch of the whole series to date.

ratkin
16-10-2019, 04:54 AM
Also on TV 1 which will take pressure off a bit. The one I reckon will test it is Japan vs South Africa, given that Japan-Scotland has been the best game to watch of the whole series to date.

No game should really test it, it is not as if Millions are tuning in.

RTM
16-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Ah....yes.....that should take the pressure off the AB's game quite a bit. I will stick with SPARK as the picture I get here is better than FreeView TV1.
Agree Ratkin…..however I do recall the SA vs AB game. Yes...SA v Japan will be interesting.

dobby41
17-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Any issues that they are having aren't capacity based therefore the numbers viewing don't matter.
It comes down to
- production issues (wrong audio etc) which affect ALL
- issues with the feeds
- customer issues including app issues. More customers = more issues but not related to capacity.

RTM
17-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Any issues that they are having aren't capacity based therefore the numbers viewing don't matter.
It comes down to
- production issues (wrong audio etc) which affect ALL
- issues with the feeds
- customer issues including app issues. More customers = more issues but not related to capacity.

I hear you re capacity....and I read what Spark said after the AB v SA game.
However...I am not convinced yet given the only real issue we have experienced was when there was most demand. SA V NZ. Other than that, been mostly excellent.
Hope you are right.

bull....
17-10-2019, 09:42 AM
NZ vrs IRL on sat may not be a good test on there streaming performance as im sure some people will watch the recording on sun morning.

waikare
17-10-2019, 05:32 PM
NZ vrs IRL on sat may not be a good test on there streaming performance as im sure some people will watch the recording on sun morning.

Is it being replayed on Sunday morning on TV1, if so what time

bull....
18-10-2019, 05:31 AM
Is it being replayed on Sunday morning on TV1, if so what time

sunday afternoon 3pm? tv1 but if you have spark sport you can watch on demand anytime after sat night.

winner69
18-10-2019, 08:06 AM
At least Spark won't lose when the ABs lose tomorrow and nobody bother watches any more

Joy of having to pay in advance

RTM
18-10-2019, 08:21 AM
At least Spark won't lose when the ABs lose tomorrow and nobody bother watches any more

Jeeze Winnner, go tuck yourself back into bed and get out of the other side.
No way are the AB’s going to lose tomorrow.
No way !

Sideshow Bob
20-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Stream working ok but picture not as good as Sky. Ball definition poor when kicked or long pass.

fungus pudding
20-10-2019, 01:47 AM
Stream working ok but picture not as good as Sky. Ball definition poor when kicked or long pass.

Spark - perfect here.

RGR367
20-10-2019, 02:28 AM
Spark - perfect here.

Same. And perfect is the result for us travelling there to watch/support the AB's :cool:

silu
20-10-2019, 08:04 AM
for me Spark Sport kicked all he goals last night. Excellent picture all through out both games.

bull....
20-10-2019, 10:08 AM
perfect here , except me a little tired

Leftfield
20-10-2019, 10:13 AM
for me Spark Sport kicked all he goals last night. Excellent picture all through out both games.

Agree..... after initial troubles signing in some weeks ago, I've been very happy with RWC viewing.
On line viewing the way of the future. May have to buy add some SPK to my portfolio once the RWC hype dies down.

TideMan
20-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Perfect here too.
We were at a piss-up for the 1st game, but I can watch it anytime I like from Spark. Don't have to remember to record it, as with Sky.

fungus pudding
21-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Wales vs France, then Sth Africa vs Japan - both crystal clear; video and audio.

dobby41
21-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Well done on the prediction :t_up:

winner69
21-10-2019, 06:56 PM
How many punters actually streamed say the ABs Ireland game?

How many subscribers to RWC are there

I heard some oubs closed early as not many punters turned up to watch the ABs

Harrie
06-11-2019, 07:32 PM
How many punters actually streamed say the ABs Ireland game?

How many subscribers to RWC are there

I heard some oubs closed early as not many punters turned up to watch the ABs

I live screened the AB Vs England semi from the official RWC site from Chendu in the outback of China. Absolutely no issues, clear as a bell and at no cost as it was streamed through the hotel WiFi.
China well ahead in every respect when it comes to communication technology. Everyone over there including rice paddy workers use their phones for all transactions including in reasonably remote locations and village stalls. Big use of scanlife over there even for picking up cycles and making every day purchases etc.

Any comment on why over the last few days a big sell off exactly on 5pm?

theace
19-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Spark selling Lightbox to Sky (just got an email)!

airedale
19-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Spark selling Lightbox to Sky (just got an email)!
Who sent the email, Sky or Lightbox or Spark?

Baa_Baa
19-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Who sent the email, Sky or Lightbox or Spark?

Spark sent it

dobby41
19-12-2019, 01:47 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/118317289/spark-sells-lightbox-internet-tv-service-to-sky-tv

bull....
20-12-2019, 06:03 AM
spark did well to get out of light box selling the pup to skt lol probably why spk price up skt down

bull....
04-02-2020, 10:10 AM
The 'race to 5G' is a myth
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/03/perspectives/5g-disruption/index.html

vodaph and spark wont be happy about this if it gains traction

850man
04-02-2020, 12:33 PM
spark did well to get out of light box selling the pup to skt lol probably why spk price up skt down
They sure did! So many entertainment content providers out there and more everyday like Disney+ coming along. Spark did well to sell Lightbox. Beats me why Sky bought it, they already had Neon now they have 2 of them. It's not going to get them any more subscribers or revenue.

bull....
19-02-2020, 08:42 AM
good result probably be $5 soon and still have a good yield

mistaTea
19-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Broadband revenues flat but Mobile jumped.

They didn't end up itemising Spark Sport costs like the previous CEO said they would...but it would be fair to assume that, even though Spark Sport lost millions, it probably drove a fair chunk of the increase in Mobile revenue? As new customers took a mobile plan to get the RWC for free?

Preston
19-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Broadband revenues flat but Mobile jumped.

They didn't end up itemising Spark Sport costs like the previous CEO said they would...but it would be fair to assume that, even though Spark Sport lost millions, it probably drove a fair chunk of the increase in Mobile revenue? As new customers took a mobile plan to get the RWC for free?

Yeah I would say that if they itemised the revenue and expenses explicitly for SS, there would be a drive to cut it.

also love how the said “successfully delivered RWC” ha!

mistaTea
19-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Yeah I would say that if they itemised the revenue and expenses explicitly for SS, there would be a drive to cut it.

also love how the said “successfully delivered RWC” ha!

Yeah if the Spark Sport numbers were something to brag about I am sure they would have.

Impossible to tell from their statements how much of a bump to Mobile revenue was from Spark versus organic growth.

So was the loss made on Spark Sport more than compensated by increased Mobile uptake? Or would earnings have been even higher had Spark not entered sport streaming in the first place?

ratkin
14-03-2020, 07:43 AM
Spark sport likely to be a non event. It seems like nearly all sport is cancelled. Tennis for Six weeks, Golf, Football, Formula One all off.

I am guessing refunds will be off the table, some of us paid for the whole season of the premier league. Either way it does not look good for them. They put a huge amount of cash into getting rights for events that are not going to happen

ratkin
14-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Just had an email from Spark

As you know Covid-19 is impacting sporting events around the world, and we want to let you know how this impacts events playing on Spark sport.

They are in discussion with their partners to see what other content they can put on. Maybe Husky racing from greenland.

Their facebook page has comments from people asking how they can suspend their subscription so that not good from an investor perspective

Mickey
14-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Just had an email from Spark

As you know Covid-19 is impacting sporting events around the world, and we want to let you know how this impacts events playing on Spark sport.

They are in discussion with their partners to see what other content they can put on. Maybe Husky racing from greenland.

Their facebook page has comments from people asking how they can suspend their subscription so that not good from an investor perspective

Covid-19 is a force majeure event and no doubt businesses have processes in place to manage such things. I'm sure they are doing everything they can under the circumstances.

Alf
14-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Resumed my subscription on Thursday so I could watch the Melbourne GP with plans to run it for 3 months to cover Monaco as well. Contacted Spark Sport on Friday after the cancellation and received a pretty prompt reply:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about your subscription.

We have gone ahead and refunded $19.99 and suspended your subscription for you. Please allow 3-5 business days for this to show up in your account. You can resume your subscription at any time by following these steps below:

https://help.sparksport.co.nz/how-do-i-resume-my-subscription

Let us know if you have any questions.

cyclist
15-03-2020, 10:07 AM
That is good service. I suspect it is presently such a small percentage of their revenue stream that they would rather take the revenue hit than risk alienating their wider customer base.

850man
15-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Sporting cancellations qay more damaging to Sky than to Spark. I imagine that people working or being g more at home could benefit ISPs with more demand for bandwidth

44wishlists
15-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Working from home, and more frequent web conferences and meetings being held, a reliable and fast internet connection are essential to businesses during this very time. And it could change businesses' travel policies, promoting the already in-trend working from home practise from this pandemic. This pandemic could really change the way how people work and how businesses meet.

BlackPeter
19-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Just looking today at SPK in my quest to assess how good analysts predictions are.

In February 2019 the SPK share price peaked at $4.09. At that stage the combined mental power of 10 share market analysts forecasted that over the 12 months to February 2020 the SPK shareprice will drop by 8.5% to $3.74 (consensus).

SPK actually peaked in February 2020 at $4.84, i.e. the actual share price was 29% above the consensus and SP moved into the opposite direction from the forecast (rise instead of drop) - i.e. analyst forecast is a clear FAIL.

Looking into the consensus buy recommendation - it was in February 2019 a pretty straight "HOLD"(5.2/10) - i.e. analysts said that the share will essentially move with the NZX. NZX 50 went up by 21% and SPK went up by 18% (just slightly below the NZX50). Not too bad, this would be according to the rules of this exercise still a "PASS"

I am doing this exercise as well with other NZX listed stocks - the overview is here:
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?11721-How-good-are-the-forecasts-of-stockmarket-analysts

18 stock forecasts checked so far (checking for each consensus and buy recommendation);
Consensus share price forecasts correct: 4/18; analysts hitrate: 22.2%
Consensus recommendation vs NZX50 correct: 6/18; analysts hitrate: 33.3%

mfd
23-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Spark getting smashed like everyone else, but you'd think the drive to work from home and spend more leisure time at home would be beneficial. Obviously a hit from sports being cancelled, but looking pretty tempting. Any major concerns I'm missing?

Entrep
23-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Spark getting smashed like everyone else, but you'd think the drive to work from home and spend more leisure time at home would be beneficial. Obviously a hit from sports being cancelled, but looking pretty tempting. Any major concerns I'm missing?

Planning to buy more SPK than any other share, just waiting for the right time

flyer
23-03-2020, 02:11 PM
Planning to buy more SPK than any other share, just waiting for the right time

Yeah, but when will that be, buying one day, lower the next. Maybe just stagger your purchases.

Entrep
23-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but when will that be, buying one day, lower the next. Maybe just stagger your purchases.

100% - that is what I have been doing

oldtech
01-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Spark Finance extends standby facility 31/3/2020, 4:22 pm GENERAL MARKET RELEASE
31 March 2020
Spark Finance extends standby facility
Spark Finance Limited, the wholly owned subsidiary of Spark New Zealand Limited (“Spark”) that carries out the borrowing activities for the Spark group, announced today that it has extended the term of its NZ$200 million committed standby revolving credit facility (“Standby”) by one year, to mature on 30 April 2023, with a commitment stepdown to NZ$167 million for the period from 1 May 2022 to 30 April 2023.

The Standby is provided through participation from Australasian and global banks.
Authorised by:
Alastair White
GM Capital Markets
- ENDS –

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/351003

Is this implying that Spark are unsure about their ability to service debt in the coming three years?

Disc: Holder and Spark employee

kiora
01-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Just good business practice to have good working capital & liquidity I would suggest.
Spark business is a great "utility", relatively low risk in this business environment

Snoopy
01-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Is this implying that Spark are unsure about their ability to service debt in the coming three years?

Disc: Holder and Spark employee.

No, quite the opposite. It implies that the banks are very happy to keep Spark as a customer in the short term, while in the medium term they want to use some of the Spark 'good credit' to redeploy into more dodgy loans for big business customers without such a positive repayment profie. That's how I see it anyway :-).

SNOOPY

discl: Spark customer and shareholder

oldtech
01-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Thanks kiora, Snoopy :t_up:

King1212
22-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Second company to reaffirm the guidance and not mention to pay dividend.

First one is TLT.

bull....
22-04-2020, 08:46 AM
impact is in the next financial year as they say they are hoping to reduce the impact by reducing costs , cap ex etc

Dlownz
22-04-2020, 08:47 AM

First one is TLT.
It says it third line down
Dividend per share Ordinary 25.0c at least 75% imputed

sb9
22-04-2020, 08:47 AM

First one is TLT.

There was PGW too..sorry to digress

King1212
22-04-2020, 08:51 AM
My bad.....spk announcement out first ...hahha

dobby41
22-04-2020, 09:01 AM
It says it third line down
Dividend per share Ordinary 25.0c at least 75% imputed

Why is it only ever 75% imputed?

nztx
22-04-2020, 11:57 PM
Why is it only ever 75% imputed?

Accounting fancy work on differences between Accounts reporting & IRD reporting, giving rise to
less than 28% tax credits available for attaching to all Divs declared , IMO

oldtech
01-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Hmm ... share price shot up from the low $4.40s to $4.60+ on Tuesday, and is now dropping back down - $4.41 right now. I can't see any reason why ...

nztx
01-05-2020, 07:51 PM
Hmm ... share price shot up from the low $4.40s to $4.60+ on Tuesday, and is now dropping back down - $4.41 right now. I can't see any reason why ...

How about the 10's of thousands new investors through Sharesies

Also SPK is one of the limited club which may or may be seen directly affected by C-19 (Okay indirect effects still to come)
and foremost - still a dividend payer, among a sea of cancelled, deferred or no dividend companies..

Cyclical
02-05-2020, 09:25 AM
impact is in the next financial year as they say they are hoping to reduce the impact by reducing costs , cap ex etc

Speaking as a former employee, I know for a fact that one thing Spark is very good at is culling the workforce as and when industry/technology permits, and I assume also when times get tough. People that work at Spark don't tend to rest on their laurels for too long, as it seems every six months there's a fresh round of cuts. When I started working there, there were something like 9000 employees. I can't find any figures but wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere closer to half that these days. Granted some of that 9000 would have been what's now Chorus. But from an investor's perspective, I'd have every confidence in Spark steering the ship quite happily through this situation.

Discl: Don't hold but probably will when the markets settle as a good anchor for any portfolio.

Cyclical
02-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Also SPK is one of the limited club which may or may be seen directly affected by C-19 (Okay indirect effects still to come)

I was thinking about this and reckon that although they may gain from increased domestic demand for broadband and the likes and maybe some of their weaker competition falling to the wayside, they'll probably suffer with the loss of some businesses using their expensive Data and Voice products which are very lucrative. And other businesses that come through will be looking for cheaper alternatives (WAN services for example) to do the same job. But C19 will be an excuse to slash Spark's expenses too, so they'll probably come out on top.

Jim
02-05-2020, 05:14 PM
But C19 will be an excuse to slash Spark's expenses too, so they'll probably come out on top. So as WHS, STU, and a dozen of them

850man
06-05-2020, 11:24 AM
https://news.microsoft.com/en-nz/2020/05/06/aotearoa-disclosure/

Spark's Cloud service provider arm CCL partnering with Microsoft NZ to deliver local Azure capability

kiora
14-05-2020, 07:08 AM
"Work done for Spark by NERA Economic Consulting estimated that the rollout of 5G in New Zealand could add between $5.7 billion and $8.9 billion per year to the New Zealand economy over the next 10 years."
https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/679634/telcos-welcome-government-5g-spectrum-direct-allocation-offer/

+++++
09-06-2020, 07:11 PM
I hope they make an example out of one of the tower arsonists

macduffy
07-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Almost a month since there's been any comment on the SPK thread, once the biggest and busiest stock on the NZX! To get the ball rolling, what's the verdict on their Spark Sport offerings? ( From a former techo who left class after mastering Windows 95's mysteries.)

:mellow:

Jay
08-07-2020, 10:59 AM
I watch the F1 on it via my smart TV - have fibre but TV is Wfi from the router - works well 99% of the time occassionally the picture degrades - not sure if it is them or me!

oldtech
04-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Woo-hoo, broken through $5.00!

ratkin
04-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Almost a month since there's been any comment on the SPK thread, once the biggest and busiest stock on the NZX! To get the ball rolling, what's the verdict on their Spark Sport offerings? ( From a former techo who left class after mastering Windows 95's mysteries.)

:mellow:

No complaints about the premier league football. Works well on Spark

Nor
04-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Does anyone else remember getting a letter from Craigs circa 2010 or there then incarnation down ramping Telecom as it was and encouraging them to sell?
Couldn't believe it.

ratkin
04-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Just had an email saying price of spark sport rising from 19.99 to 24.99 pushing their luck a bit, and could backfire. Many just forget about their subscriptions and just keep paying, but receiving an email that increases the price will make many wonder if they actually need it.

Jay
04-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Got the email as well, also have Spark broadband/fibre so I get a $5 account credit per month - so same price for me

bull....
05-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Just had an email saying price of spark sport rising from 19.99 to 24.99 pushing their luck a bit, and could backfire. Many just forget about their subscriptions and just keep paying, but receiving an email that increases the price will make many wonder if they actually need it.

matching sky sport pricing the aim i guess. spark was good buying for those who got in around early april. good steady dividend as well

bull....
18-08-2020, 10:09 AM
just crossed $5

samansoft
19-08-2020, 07:08 PM
Look like hard resit at 5$

King1212
24-08-2020, 05:26 PM
Result this wed....yield at 5 ish %....compare with CNU....SPK is way better..last announcement confirmed 12.5c dividend

bull....
24-08-2020, 05:46 PM
telco's in aus have been affected by covid ( roaming fees etc) so be interesting how spark has fared

King1212
24-08-2020, 06:00 PM
2 things that people invest in the market...1 is growth and second is dividend.

So far...no growth in any companies due to covid...n it will remain for a while.

Companies that can still do well...during this Taft time as well as paying dividend...then that is the keeper.

$10000...at term deposit @2% 180 days....after tax...$70.

percy
24-08-2020, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=King1212;838563]2 things that people invest in the market...1 is growth and second is dividend.

So far...no growth in any companies due to covid...n it will remain for a while.

Perhaps you need to spread your net a little further.
Try PAZ on Unlisted.
On Sharetrader, Unlisted PAZ thread,Beagle has kindly posted some projections for us.Post # 821.
ENJOY.

And from Syft.also on Unlisted.dated 4th June 2020.
Revenue is expected to continue to grow at our current rate of 52%

King1212
24-08-2020, 07:11 PM
Not for me Percy... thanks. I will keep with good blue chips....at around 5 persen yield

percy
24-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Not for me Percy... thanks. I will keep with good blue chips....at around 5 persen yield

Well as you said "no growth."

King1212
24-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Rule 1...never invest in the business that u not familiar or don't understand

Rule 2...follow rule no 1

percy
24-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Rule No1 do not post on something you do not know any thing about...............lol.
And remember my old saying.: "The more research I do the more success I have,"

ps.You will note on PAZ thread, there are a number of very experienced investors who do understand the business, and know what they are doing.That is why they own PAZ shares.

King1212
24-08-2020, 08:15 PM
I was referring nzx companies...most report did not show any growth...

Never interested with unlisted. Sorry. Not my cup of tea koro.

I borrowed 2.6% from bank...dumped all in blue chips....yield around 5%...still easily make 2%

percy
24-08-2020, 08:29 PM
I was referring nzx companies...most report did not show any growth...

Never interested with unlisted. Sorry. Not my cup of tea koro.

I borrowed 2.6% from bank...dumped all in blue chips....yield around 5%...still easily make 2%

2%... Pity you did not put some of the money in PAZ in January.You would be 94% better off.They are up 96%.
And had you invested a year ago you would be up 187%,as they are up 189%....
Easier when you know what you are doing.
DYOR it really works.

King1212
24-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Thank u very much...like I said...I am not follo unlisted...

850man
25-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Nice and a rule 3 - before I buy just one share in the business, how would I feel if I owned the whole thing?

percy
25-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Nice and a rule 3 - before I buy just one share in the business, how would I feel if I owned the whole thing?

Think that rule is of upmost importance.
Part of DYOR.[doing your own research]

King1212
25-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Spk is on ETF and sharies list...so price will keep going up...cnu is keep going up with yield less than 2.5%

bull....
25-08-2020, 02:48 PM
back over $5 yahoo ,

King1212
26-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Excellent result...top result after couple byear of flat revenue.

Confirmed 2021 dividend the same..23 to 25 c..

So far.. happy with the result.

bull....
26-08-2020, 08:48 AM
yes good result esp in comparison to the aus telco's

tango
26-08-2020, 09:17 AM
Excellent result
Happy holder
Can’t sneeze at 5% dividend yield

peat
26-08-2020, 11:09 AM
it was Spark that was attacked by the DDOS yesterday (apparently)

dobby41
26-08-2020, 11:24 AM
it was Spark that was attacked by the DDOS yesterday (apparently)

Or was it the NZX website IP that was attacked - which is hosted by Spark?
You'd be amazed at the amount of DDOS daily.

tango
26-08-2020, 12:15 PM
According to the joint statement...

“This afternoon a Spark customer, NZX Limited, experienced a volumetric DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack from offshore, which impacted NZX system connectivity,” the statement read.

“As such, NZX decided to halt trading in its cash markets at approximately 15.57.”

While it’s not clear how long the networks were down, the statement added that the attack “was able to be mitigated and connectivity has now been restored for NZX.”

The attack did not do lasting damage to trading confidence yesterday - the NZX 50 index closed up 0.6%, or 72 points, bringing the index to 1193, despite the trading halt.

In a memorandum released this morning, NZX assured its market participants that the mitigation of the attack ensured trading could continue as normal.

“Yesterday afternoon NZX experienced a volumetric DDoS attack from offshore via its network service provider, which impacted NZX network connectivity,” the memorandum said.

“The systems impacted included NZX websites and the Markets Announcement Platform. As such, NZX decided to halt trading in its cash markets at approximately 15.57. The attack was able to be mitigated and connectivity has now been restored for NZX.

“NZX will resume normal market operations today.”

https://cfotech.co.nz/story/ddos-attack-strikes-nzx-halts-trading

850man
26-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Clearly some people don't like the Spark implication in all the DDOS mess - SP down >3% so far today after a pretty good FY result.:confused:

bull....
26-08-2020, 04:42 PM
and there forecast for next year was a bit down beat

Benny1
26-08-2020, 05:14 PM
and there forecast for next year was a bit down beat
Yeah it was a little.. however so was FRE whom also declared no final dividend and they have shot up around 50c since their announcement !

bull....
26-08-2020, 05:22 PM
Yeah it was a little.. however so was FRE whom also declared no final dividend and they have shot up around 50c since their announcement !

amazing fre , guess its all about post covid eh

tango
26-08-2020, 05:26 PM
The share market isn’t always logical but you would think news of a dividend would bring the buyers out. Maybe their brains are pickled from spending too much time immersed in CBD

King1212
26-08-2020, 06:08 PM
Traders.... profit taking....been doing the same lately with SPK....up...sell...down buy....if u missed the train then..bye

bull....
31-08-2020, 09:50 AM
has spark lost the NZX contract?

NZX shifts to Akamai, fills in more details about outages
The Herald understands the NZX will this morning confirm it has shifted its servers to Akamai Technologies, the multinational content delivery network giant

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12360753

BlackPeter
31-08-2020, 11:10 AM
has spark lost the NZX contract?

NZX shifts to Akamai, fills in more details about outages
The Herald understands the NZX will this morning confirm it has shifted its servers to Akamai Technologies, the multinational content delivery network giant

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12360753

Bad move to hire a US company. Inept bunch. They should get some Chinese company to host nzx.com and I am sure the big firewall of China would sort it out. I see the attackers already queuing up for donating organs ...

Jaa
31-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Bad move to hire a US company. Inept bunch. They should get some Chinese company to host nzx.com and I am sure the big firewall of China would sort it out. I see the attackers already queuing up for donating organs ...

Is this satire?

BlackPeter
01-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Is this satire?

Well, yes - though as all satire - it only bites if it has a kernel of reality.

Haven't yet heard about Chinese websites under attack, have you?

dobby41
01-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Would they tell you?

BlackPeter
01-09-2020, 02:58 PM
Would they tell you?

Did NZX tell us, or did we just found out?

Jaa
01-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Well, yes - though as all satire - it only bites if it has a kernel of reality.

Because its probably the Chinese doing the attacking !! :p

No need for the CCP to hack Chinese websites when all the info is shared with state authorities anyway as a matter of course. :D

dobby41
01-09-2020, 03:15 PM
No need for the CCP to hack Chinese websites when all the info is shared with state authorities anyway as a matter of course. :D

I suspect you missed something there - NZX issue isn't a hacking attempt, it is a denial of service issue.
We haven't heard but has some said yet 'pay us $x in bitcoin and we'll stop doing this'?

Jaa
01-09-2020, 03:25 PM
I suspect you missed something there - NZX issue isn't a hacking attempt, it is a denial of service issue.
We haven't heard but has some said yet 'pay us $x in bitcoin and we'll stop doing this'?

I did say attack, DDOS is often used to pressure/blackmail others. Not always monetary. It is a common MO of state backed hacking groups in North Korea for example but also in China.

Interestingly Baidu relies on the American company Cloudflare to supply DDOS protection and other services to Chinese websites. Now why couldn't Cloudflare just enter the Chinese market under their own brand without a joint venture partner like they have in every other country in the world? Oh never mind, I forgot free trade only goes one way.

Jaa
01-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Double post

dobby41
01-09-2020, 04:06 PM
I did say attack, DDOS is often used to pressure/blackmail others. Not always monetary. It is a common MO of state backed hacking groups in North Korea for example but also in China..

You said 'hack' as in the bit that I quoted.
A common method of hacking used to be to bombard a site hoping for a memory overrun and a way in.

Jaa
01-09-2020, 04:32 PM
A common method of hacking used to be to bombard a site hoping for a memory overrun and a way in.

The bit you quoted related to the CCP not the NZX. Regardless you are right an attack can be a useful way to disguise/force a hack.

Not a good look for Spark's enterprise business and a good wake up call for NZ inc. For small/medium and even large sized businesses putting your website and systems behind Cloudflare is an essential and painless first step.

bull....
08-09-2020, 12:55 PM
might be bottoming after the results selling?

Zaphod
09-09-2020, 11:50 AM

A buffer overflow is a useful method to exploit a system, however the volume of data being thrown at these systems (apparently in excess of 200GBps) lends further weight to the argument that this is a simply DDoS attack.

Zaphod
09-09-2020, 11:54 AM
The bit you quoted related to the CCP not the NZX. Regardless you are right an attack can be a useful way to disguise/force a hack.

Not a good look for Spark's enterprise business and a good wake up call for NZ inc. For small/medium and even large sized businesses putting your website and systems behind Cloudflare is an essential and painless first step.

We don't know enough about the technical architecture employed by the NZX. They may simply contract Spark for telco links, or co-lo in a data centre, or any other non-managed service. Spark do offer managed services as well.

peat
16-09-2020, 10:25 AM
not really feeling the deep and meaningful love for their strategy announcement.

bull....
16-09-2020, 10:42 AM
not really feeling the deep and meaningful love for their strategy announcement.

business as usual with hoped for small incremental growth combined with cost savings and increased free cash flow to support dividends

jimdog31
16-09-2020, 10:55 AM
business as usual with hoped for small incremental growth combined with cost savings and increased free cash flow to support dividends

In this environment that should be well received, however everyone wants GROWTH!. Madness.

peat
16-09-2020, 10:59 AM

well there is the obvious , focus on wireless and 5g , kind of stuff , but I still dont know whether they are a content provider or not and I am reading that as NOT part of their main strategy anymore despite sill having Spark Sport.

RGR367
16-09-2020, 11:44 AM
The announcement meant another round of redundancy in the background. And this time it will be huge.

dobby41
16-09-2020, 12:20 PM
The announcement meant another round of redundancy in the background. And this time it will be huge.

I missed that in the announcement?

peat
16-09-2020, 02:49 PM
I missed that in the announcement?

RGR is reading between the lines .

850man
16-09-2020, 03:14 PM
well there is the obvious , focus on wireless and 5g , kind of stuff , but I still dont know whether they are a content provider or not and I am reading that as NOT part of their main strategy anymore despite sill having Spark Sport.

A very lightweight announcement overall, nothing to inspire. A lot of words about culture and diversity and ensuring 40% or roles are filled by women, 40% by men.... TBH and expecting a backlash here for lack of political correctness - I couldn't care less what gender, ethnicity, sexual preference a person is in any role, only thing that counts is whether they have the skills and capabilities to do the job!

bull....
16-09-2020, 03:26 PM
A very lightweight announcement overall, nothing to inspire. A lot of words about culture and diversity and ensuring 40% or roles are filled by women, 40% by men.... TBH and expecting a backlash here for lack of political correctness - I couldn't care less what gender, ethnicity, sexual preference a person is in any role, only thing that counts is whether they have the skills and capabilities to do the job!

lot of fluff alright around diversity etc but as for growth the push into healthcare space looks interesting if they can do it. 1 billion potential market they reckon

dobby41
16-09-2020, 04:04 PM
RGR is reading between the lines .

Is that the same as making stuff up?

peat
16-09-2020, 04:10 PM

still useful to have diversity though, just like a portfolio in my opinion.
(unless you believe in diworsification that is, eh Mav)

Is that the same as making stuff up?

not really lol. some times the truth isnt what is said, and it needs to be unravelled , and some people are better at doing that than other. whether you think RGR is good at that is up to you. Certain contributors have proved their skills in this strategic area. Not me tho I tend to read what is written and just try to simplify it into something meaningful.

jimdog31
17-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Why would you sell before the Record date??

bull....
17-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Why would you sell before the Record date??

record date ? is that australia your talking about? i think in NZ its the same as the ex date ? the day they check to see who gets the dividend ( the ex date)

jimdog31
17-09-2020, 02:11 PM
record date ? is that australia your talking about? i think in NZ its the same as the ex date ? the day they check to see who gets the dividend ( the ex date)

EX date is 17th , record date is 18th?

Maybe im having a bad day but if you sell today doesnt that mean you miss out (excuse my youthfulness)

macduffy
17-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Record date is always the business day before the ex div date. The register (record) is set, then the shares trade ex div.

jimdog31
17-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Record date is always the business day before the ex div date. The register (record) is set, then the shares trade ex div.

So Im reading this incorrectly? http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SPK/358661/329278.pdf

bull....
17-09-2020, 02:19 PM
EX date is 17th , record date is 18th?

Maybe im having a bad day but if you sell today doesnt that mean you miss out (excuse my youthfulness)

i wouldnt think so . it just means they check who owned the shares on wednesday night because of t2 they need till wait to friday to check

so think even you could buy yesterday and sell today and still get div. happy to be corrected

jimdog31
17-09-2020, 02:25 PM
i wouldnt think so . it just means they check who owned the shares on wednesday night because of t2 they need till wait to friday to check

so think even you could buy yesterday and sell today and still get div. happy to be corrected

I was going off this . https://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/110802.asp#:~:text=The%20ex%2Ddate%20is%20one,elig ible%20for%20a%20dividend%20payout.

Would love some clarity!

bull....
17-09-2020, 02:33 PM
I was going off this . https://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/110802.asp#:~:text=The%20ex%2Ddate%20is%20one,elig ible%20for%20a%20dividend%20payout.

Would love some clarity!

the article says what i said

so if you brought before the ex date ( your last chance to buy before ex date was on the 16th)
when they do the records on the 18th that is 2 days you have owned it before record date.
it wouldnt matter if you sold today because they are only looking at who was on the register on the night of the 16th and it takes the registery 2 days to update there files of who brought on the 16th.

eg brought on the 16th t2 means regidstered in my name on the 18th
sell on the 17th t2 means registered in the new owners name on the 19th

if your unsure ring a broker they know best ( i might be wrong? lol it happens) so it really only matters that you held it before ex date

macduffy
17-09-2020, 02:57 PM
So Im reading this incorrectly? http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SPK/358661/329278.pdf

Apologies, jimdog. Getting confused in my dotage!

Because settlement of a purchase is two trading days later, ex date must precede record date. You are reading the notice correctly.

see weed
17-09-2020, 02:58 PM

so if you brought before the ex date ( your last chance to buy before ex date was on the 16th)
when they do the records on the 18th that is 2 days you have owned it before record date.
it wouldnt matter if you sold today because they are only looking at who was on the register on the night of the 16th and it takes the registery 2 days to update there files of who brought on the 16th.

if your unsure ring a broker they know best ( i might be wrong? lol it happens) so it really only matters that you held it before ex date
You are right. I have quite often bought in the day before ex div just to get the div.

Norwest
17-09-2020, 04:19 PM

You are 100% correct.

As an aside, T2 starts from the end of the day's trading, not the time the trade processed. i.e. it is 2 full trading days, not 48 hours before it shows up on the registry.

bull....
08-10-2020, 02:00 PM
spark been in the doldrums bit since div was paid but seems to be finding some love today , maybe as a high div player it is started to be noticed again after the others have all run hard lately