PDA

View Full Version : SPK- Spark NZ (TELCO)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

macduffy
01-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Sounds like your very confident MVT, willing to take a nice wager that you will be able to buy these shares 10c or more cheaper than today's peak sometime between now and say end of August simply due to the big boys doing what they do. Are you that confident?

Is it really necessary to challenge another poster to back his or her view with a wager? I'd rather just hear the arguments back and forth.

:rolleyes:

couta1
01-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Is it really necessary to challenge another poster to back his or her view with a wager? I'd rather just hear the arguments back and forth.

:rolleyes: MVT was challenging the fact that the Big Boys can trash the SP when they want to, which simply is not true.PS-Nothing wrong with a friendly wager if your that confident.:cool:

macduffy
01-06-2017, 04:07 PM
MVT was challenging the fact that the Big Boys can trash the SP when they want to, which simply is not true.PS-Nothing wrong with a friendly wager if your that confident.:cool:

Fair enough, so long as it doesn't have the effect of stifling debate.

couta1
01-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Fair enough, so long as it doesn't have the effect of stifling debate. I guess the debate should be around whether the current SP is fair value or expensive, whats your opinion?

bull....
01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
can we crack $4 on the close it should be close

macduffy
02-06-2017, 01:20 PM
I guess the debate should be around whether the current SP is fair value or expensive, whats your opinion?

No strong opinion on SPK's valuation here, couta, and certainly not one I'd want to bet on! I still hold a few though, a legacy from the Telecom days when the business looked to be a lot more "stable" than it does, to me, in this quickly changing technological world. I confess I don't understand current issues sufficiently and therefore probably should sell.

Ray
13-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Spark NZ acquires marketing automation provider Ubiquity

What do we think?

------
https://www.nzx.com/companies/SPK/announcements/302439

craic
13-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Still trading Spark and making good money.

bull....
13-06-2017, 10:59 AM

What do we think?

------

good move they really need to be growing other parts of the business as legacy ph declines and broadband becomes a commoditised product.

Zaphod
14-06-2017, 11:01 AM

What do we think?

------

At first glance I though SPK had purchased one of my suppliers of AP gear.

Agee with Bull, they need to keep growing these value add parts of the business. I still see Spark Digital as languishing amongst very strong competition from Datacom.

bull....
19-06-2017, 10:04 AM
https://www.nzx.com/companies/SPK/announcements/302756

taking back control of there retail stores - good move, telstra heading that way too by the look of things

Hoop
19-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Hi Tech company reconnecting with its customers via physical brick and mortar reality...Hmmm really!!!
oh well..best of luck with that
With their turn back in time strategy..I suggest a good product for their shops
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRigZylRaYCsezBJWPPGyEHMFjNFuiq1 n1l9zDajtdxdgXebnw_Bw

bull....
19-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Hi Tech company reconnecting with its customers via physical brick and mortar reality...Hmmm really!!!
oh well..best of luck with that
With their turn back in time strategy..I suggest a good product for their shops
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRigZylRaYCsezBJWPPGyEHMFjNFuiq1 n1l9zDajtdxdgXebnw_Bw

probably relisation you need online and physical stores - hence the big amazon takeover of whole foods.

Hoop
19-06-2017, 10:08 PM
probably relisation you need online and physical stores - hence the big amazon takeover of whole foods.

Hmmm maybe Bull...Time will tell..eh

Zaphod
20-06-2017, 09:16 AM
From a business perspective the stores serve a valuable role by providing hands on experience with new potential handsets, support, and training services.

Nasi Goreng
26-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Can anyone provide any insight as to why Spark is currently in an uptrend and Telstra is currently in a down trend? Spark PE is 17.6, Telstra is 9.7.

There must be a few big reasons for this... May be more competition in Oz? I don't really follow either company but it looks interesting that 2 dominant players in their own markets can have such different SP action.

peat
26-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Apart from being in different countries with (currently ) quite different economic trajectories, one needs to recognise that (despite their similar histories) they are quite different companies. Telstra might be better compared with Spark and Chorus combined given that TLS is doing the NBN (fibre) rollout in Australia (whereas SPK has no involvement in that here in NZ)
Also, Spark seems to be making the transition to a content provider faster than TLS - Im not even sure if TLS has a content component (perhaps shareholdings)
TLS does have some massive cash flow positives from the govt guarantees it obtained from the Australian government for doing the NBN but it hasnt yet proved how it will fill those cash flow/revenue gaps once that is all completed.
Personlly I think TLS has been oversold

bull....
26-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Can anyone provide any insight as to why Spark is currently in an uptrend and Telstra is currently in a down trend? Spark PE is 17.6, Telstra is 9.7.

There must be a few big reasons for this... May be more competition in Oz? I don't really follow either company but it looks interesting that 2 dominant players in their own markets can have such different SP action.

telstra facing more revenue headwinds from NBN rollout - TPG entering mobile space , more competitors with deeper pockets than in NZ.

Nasi Goreng
26-06-2017, 01:53 PM
telstra facing more revenue headwinds from NBN rollout - TPG entering mobile space , more competitors with deeper pockets than in NZ.

Thanks for your thoughts. Makes you wonder if Spark are invulnerable to these things. At 18 x earnings, there is a fair amount of optimism this is not the case.

The 5 year TLS chart tells a big story, it looks like negative sentiment was behind them until August 2015 when the tide turned.

Major von Tempsky
27-06-2017, 01:39 PM
I think you guys need to look somewhat wider - I was curious on the same point a few years ago but I looked somewhat wider than just Australia, and if you do you should find a number of telcos on rather lower P/E's in the US for example.

bull....
27-06-2017, 03:53 PM
looking good for all new time highs hopefully, some people must think like me - cheap stock nice div lol

couta1
27-06-2017, 06:56 PM
looking good for all new time highs hopefully, some people must think like me - cheap stock nice div lol Cheap compared to what? A low growth stock on a PE of 18, cheap at $3.30 maybe, not $3.90. PS-Price dependent on the whims of the big boys and the US currency.

JeremyALD
27-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Their retention and aquisition plays have been very good; Spotify, Netflix, lightbox and 1GB free daily data. Wonder what will happen when the Spotify deal comes up for renewal. It's a major reason many people stay with and join Spark on mobile.

bull....
29-06-2017, 01:56 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/94212719/cost-cuts-on-cards-as-spark-dishes-up-selfservice-tools-to-priceconscious-customers

strategy update coming

bull....
30-06-2017, 10:42 AM
https://www.nzx.com/companies/SPK/announcements/303375

investor update

- lowest cost operator through automation and job cuts - will offset commoditised broadband and mobile offerings I guess
- more value offerings - point of difference to retain customers
- pg 39 very interesting they have no real presence in any of the categories apart from Qrious so are they going to aquire businesses or grow there own?

RGR367
02-07-2017, 11:11 AM
https://www.nzx.com/companies/SPK/announcements/303375

investor update

- lowest cost operator through automation and job cuts - will offset commoditised broadband and mobile offerings I guess
- more value offerings - point of difference to retain customers
- pg 39 very interesting they have no real presence in any of the categories apart from Qrious so are they going to aquire businesses or grow there own?

From a reliable source, those job cuts were started early this year but somehow put on hold. It will properly eventuate again now that Y/E is over. But still, those that were let loose on the "digital group" of the business earlier is substantial in number.

bull....
04-07-2017, 02:55 PM
From a reliable source, those job cuts were started early this year but somehow put on hold. It will properly eventuate again now that Y/E is over. But still, those that were let loose on the "digital group" of the business earlier is substantial in number.

imagine they will start up again

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/94336747/Spark-and-Vodafone-announce-competing-investments-in-internet-of-things

competition already in this space.

Zaphod
04-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Spark Digital are still bleeding high-margin business customers to competitors such as DataCom, with no end in sight.

Major von Tempsky
05-07-2017, 10:52 AM
And if they were Zaphod either the CEO Spark Digital or Simon Moutter would have been fired or Spark would be out of business.

Which part of your narrative do you need to adjust Zaphod?

Zaphod
05-07-2017, 06:09 PM
And if they were Zaphod either the CEO Spark Digital or Simon Moutter would have been fired or Spark would be out of business.

Which part of your narrative do you need to adjust Zaphod?

No narrative adjustment required, Major. Having worked for Gen-I (now Spark Digital) and having dealt with them for over a decade as a major corporate customer, I am acutely aware of their situation, including their strengths and weaknesses.

Datacom secured direct access to major corporate accounts previously held by Spark Digital, supplying hardware, software and services. Datacom’s strategic focus on the service side of the business allowed them to leapfrog Spark Digital’s efforts.

You should note that several changes to Gen-I's leadership team occurring during this time, culminating in the amalgamation and rebranding of the company to Spark Digital.

Major von Tempsky
06-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Spark Digital are still bleeding high-margin business customers to competitors such as DataCom, with no end in sight.

However if you care to look at the Reuters report "BRIEF: For the six months ended 31 December 2016, Spark New Zealand Ltd revenues increased 4% to NZ$1.79B. Net income increased 13% to NZ$178M. Revenues reflect Spark Digital segment increase of 8% to NZ$658M, Spark Home, Mobile & Business segment increase of 1% to NZ$985M, Spark Connect & Platforms segment increase of 16% to NZ$22M. Net income benefited from Spark Connect & Platforms segment loss decrease of 8% to NZ$166M." Spark Digital segment increase of 8% to NZ$658M.

That's incompatible with Mr Beeblebrox' assertions which means that dear Zaphod falls into one of 3 categories (a) one of the old dedicated Telecom haters who will never let go no matter what such as Troyvdh who finishes up with unintelligible long drawn exclamations of irrational bile (b) one of the dedicated band of people who have a spouse/lover/friend/relative/neighbour working for one of Spark's competitors (c) an ex Telecom/Spark employee who left under a bit of cloud and is now looking for utu.

Pity we can't reserve this thread for rational discussion....

couta1
14-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Massive volume going through over the last few days, equal number of buyers and sellers so SP trading in a few cents range. I don't think Salt will do well with their Short here.

peat
14-07-2017, 04:59 PM

MJT
Spark Digital is their IT business as per their purchase of Gen-I (the old Wang) , so Zaphod can be right

Major von Tempsky
15-07-2017, 04:32 PM
MJT
Spark Digital is their IT business as per their purchase of Gen-I (the old Wang) , so Zaphod can be right

On the other hand as he hasn't offered any tangible facts and the facts published by Spark and Reuters etc in their periodic reports don't show any evidence of Geni/Spark Digital going bankrupt or having a bad time then I prefer to remain calm and rational. Spark will report in August on it's latest results including for Spark Digital and it will be seen then how credible, if at all, Zaphod is.

It is in the nature of normal business, particularly with large enterprises, that there is a certain turnover of customers including large customers. And other customers are brought in to replace them and the overall trend is usually upwards. In Spark Digital's case by 8%. In fact if your existing customers are growing solidly then you can afford your numbers of customers to fall and yet you yourself as a business still grow on the back of growing demand.

I suppose I have been observing/investing in the NZX for about 39 years so far and I have seen and heard a number of loud Wolf! cries about companies from people who are self interested for some reason and wish to make themselves seem more important than they are and to affect the target company to make it easier for their own competitor. Some such people have ended by being banned from Sharetrader for bad behaviour....

Zaphod
16-07-2017, 12:27 PM
On the other hand as he hasn't offered any tangible facts and the facts published by Spark and Reuters etc in their periodic reports don't show any evidence of Geni/Spark Digital going bankrupt or having a bad time then I prefer to remain calm and rational. Spark will report in August on it's latest results including for Spark Digital and it will be seen then how credible, if at all, Zaphod is.

When did I state or imply that Spark Digital was going bankrupt, MT? The market for IT services continues to grow but SD is not gaining new business as well as Datacom who have grown their branch network and general IT services businesses very quickly over the past 5-10 years. I suggest you speak with other professionals in the industry to gain their opinions.

i have been observing/investing in the NZX for about 39 years so far and I have seen and heard a number of loud Wolf! cries about companies from people who are self interested for some reason and wish to make themselves seem more important than they are and to affect the target company to make it easier for their own competitor. Some such people have ended by being banned from Sharetrader for bad behaviour....

Constructive debate about the merits of companies is what this board is all about. What I have observed over the years that anyone who disagrees with the "group think" is often ostracised for 'crying wolf'.

My personal opinion is that Spark remains a solid company, but that there are some significant challenges ahead as the communications business become a low-margin commoditised service, and the corporate IT services business is exposed to further competition by local and multi-national vendors. The continued development & delivery of value added services for consumers and a focus on corporate customers in the SD space are the way forward.

You are welcome is disagree of course.

RGR367
25-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Personally all out now at 390 on SPK.
What I was told is all those software changes to bring them up to speed is still having issues though restructuring is still going on. Happy to hold them first after the Asian crash and recovered big time on accumulations when they took all HP employees servicing them (project Marley) to their care. Good dividend paying company still but my affinity to it lately has gone stale.
GL to all holders.

bull....
26-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Personally all out now at 390 on SPK.
What I was told is all those software changes to bring them up to speed is still having issues though restructuring is still going on. Happy to hold them first after the Asian crash and recovered big time on accumulations when they took all HP employees servicing them (project Marley) to their care. Good dividend paying company still but my affinity to it lately has gone stale.
GL to all holders.

not waiting for the $4 dollar party

Major von Tempsky
26-07-2017, 12:58 PM
It's a perverse Party. Spark down, Auck Airport down, Contact down, Fletcher up - just a matter of time until Feltex and Bil and JudgCorp and Standard Insurance reappear and go zooming upwards.
NZ $ must be even further up - must check that.
All those overseas shareholders are getting shifty.

About time Spark picked a date to give their next results - or have they already?

Yep, it's one of NZX's periodical perverse parties. Good news from NZ trade results so NZ $ goes up which makes Spark shares worth less to overseas holders.

bull....
28-07-2017, 12:43 PM
really has trouble getting and staying over 3.90

Major von Tempsky
29-07-2017, 04:25 PM
It's a really crazy and illogical situation for Spark because most of it's shareholders/shareholding live/are held overseas which won't be remedied until most of it comes back to NZ.
NZ economic growth improves - NZ dollar goes up so Spark goes down.
Inflation gets worse - NZ dollar goes up expecting higher interest rates to control inflation so Spark goes down.
Balance of Trade/Bal of Payments improves therefore NZ dollar rises and Spark goes down.
Employment improves NZ dollar goes up and Spark goes down.
Immigration increases which goes in parallel with growth so NZ dollar goes up and Spark falls.
NZ debt goes down so NZ dollar goes up and Spark goes down.

On the other hand Unemployment goes up NZ dollar goes down and Spark improves.
Inflation improves (it can't at the mo because it's zero) NZ dollar goes down and Spark improves.

Spark trading and profit improve overseas shareholders take their profit and Spark goes down.

So you can see the dice is loaded against us. Nevertheless I have a high regard for Simon Moutter's ideas and stewardship and faith that shareholders will get increasing rewards in the medium term. So I see Spark as a stable investment and prefer it to Fletcher which is in a business cycle and liable to unexpected disasters.
At the least some NZers and NZ institutions (Kiwisaver etc have increasing funds to invest in NZ) can take advantage of the skitterish overseas investors and slowly buy them out.

macduffy
31-07-2017, 10:37 AM
On the other hand Unemployment goes up NZ dollar goes down and Spark improves.
Inflation improves (it can't at the mo because it's zero) NZ dollar goes down and Spark improves.

So, it provides a natural hedge against adverse trends in the NZ economy - without the hassle of investing overseas.

:cool:

Entrep
01-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Sounds like your very confident MVT, willing to take a nice wager that you will be able to buy these shares 10c or more cheaper than today's peak sometime between now and say end of August simply due to the big boys doing what they do. Are you that confident?

We're into August now... will this wager have come off? 1 June peak was $3.855

bull....
02-08-2017, 07:13 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/95284160/government-push-for-review-of-mobile-market-finds-favour-with-tuanz

thought there would have been better industry to investigate- lines companies, supermarkets, insurance etc

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11897828

datacom big margins , be interesting how spark compares

Major von Tempsky
02-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Someone has got me wrong, I haven't bought or sold Spark for a couple of years. I just hold for the high dividends it pays and watch the irrational gyrations of the overseas dominated shareprice with cynical amusement. At the moment I'm just waiting Spark's next announcement which can only be a matter of weeks away. I do have some other shares, one which was bought as a capital appreciation play now shows every sign of turning into a cash dividend cow :-)

bull....
03-08-2017, 07:47 PM
3.90 again? must be soon

Major von Tempsky
04-08-2017, 04:55 PM

3.90 again? must be soon 18th August, next Friday week. 10 a.m. :-)

bull....
09-08-2017, 03:58 PM
18th August, next Friday week. 10 a.m. :-)

cant wait and its above 3.90 at the moment, hopefully i can say 4 next week

bull....
11-08-2017, 10:13 AM
cant wait and its above 3.90 at the moment, hopefully i can say 4 next week

above 3.90 couldnt hold again

bull....
17-08-2017, 10:46 AM
big day tomorrow for spark lovers , telstra just released there results makes compelling reading

couta1
17-08-2017, 11:09 AM
big day tomorrow for spark lovers , telstra just released there results makes compelling reading Expecting a steady as she goes, low growth result with current dividend maintained. I see Telstra have reduced their dividend payout ratio and 2018 dividend guidance.

bull....
17-08-2017, 11:29 AM
I see Telstra have reduced their dividend payout ratio and 2018 dividend guidance.

yes telling isnt it

couta1
17-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Telstra down over 10% on both exchanges atm, 52 wk lows, OUCH. Let's hope Spark can do better than this tomorrow.

couta1
18-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Solid result with no change to dividend or 2018 dividend guidance.:)

Major von Tempsky
18-08-2017, 09:16 AM
It did, 13% rise in profit, same dividends as last year, plans for the future.

Lesson for the future to all those scaredy cats who recently sold off because they equated Spark with Telstra: Spark is different from Telstra! Take 100 lines and write that out.

Master98
18-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Hope Spark have extra 20m gain from selling their land property every year until nothing left.

Major von Tempsky
18-08-2017, 10:47 AM
The whole market is down across the board, panic now. Sell everything. It's the last days. Get under the bed and read Revelations. Haven't checked the NZ dollar yet. When stocks like Auck Airport are significantly cut you know something is wrong with the cutters, not Auck Air.

bull....
18-08-2017, 11:24 AM
good result, I would imagine the shares should be well supported even more so after telstra decision yesterday.

When you compared the 2 charts telstra ( or even telco in general in aus) was heading down while spark was going up, people were confused as they couldnt understand how this could be.
As MVT has said spark should not be compared to telstra different fish in telco sea for various reason even though the general theme is the same.

Why telstra price go down is because they had no choice but to drop dividend this was evident mths ago as they had a gaping hole in there cashflow in the years ahead after nbn payments finished , smart people were switching out of telstra into spark which offered steady business less risk and nice fat divs.

I expect more disenchanted telstra investors to switch.

Major von Tempsky
18-08-2017, 12:27 PM

So the Spark report is in and I quote "IT revenue is up 19%" and also that "Spark has signed some big new contracts".

How does that fit in with "Spark Digital are still bleeding high-margin business customers to competitors such as DataCom, with no end in sight" Zaphod?

Major von Tempsky
30-08-2017, 11:51 AM
So it seems that the investors (scatter brained twits) who sold Spark recently because North Korea fired a rocket up and over Japan and down the other side are now buying again. If they paid any attention to World News and History they would know that this is the third time North Korea has done this.

Really "investors" should be required to gat a warrant of fitness and those with half their brain missing should be taken off the road.

steveb
30-08-2017, 11:58 AM
So it seems that the investors (scatter brained twits) who sold Spark recently because North Korea fired a rocket up and over Japan and down the other side are now buying again. If they paid any attention to World News and History they would know that this is the third time North Korea has done this.

Really "investors" should be required to gat a warrant of fitness and those with half their brain missing should be taken off the road.

Good one major

It could be kim is selling short need to settle fire a missile!!

Zaphod
31-08-2017, 08:04 AM
So the Spark report is in and I quote "IT revenue is up 19%" and also that "Spark has signed some big new contracts".

How does that fit in with "Spark Digital are still bleeding high-margin business customers to competitors such as DataCom, with no end in sight" Zaphod?

It fits very well MT, thanks for asking. Revenue up 19% on the back of organic growth then is it MT? Or is that revenue growth related to the acquisitions? Some minor investigative research into Datacom's much more rapid growth in NZ and their client list would be quite revealing MT. Revenue higher than Spark Digital, yet the company is much younger.... They must be getting customers from somewhere, including my former colleagues.

No need to be so defensive about you favourite share. Spark are doing well, but some constructive criticism is good for objectivity.

craic
05-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Does anybody know the dates related to the dividend? I can never get their site to work for me and all I get is the full year to March last.

winner69
05-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Does anybody know the dates related to the dividend? I can never get their site to work for me and all I get is the full year to March last.

NZX says ex 21/9 and paid 6/10

bull....
14-09-2017, 01:52 PM
still struggling around 3.90 and if vodaph lists i guess related selling could take place

Joshuatree
23-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Vocus selling its NZ investments includes slingshot,NZ Racing and Orcon(i think)

1QFY18 Trading Update - New Zealand

Net broadband subscriber growth in Consumer of 3,365 in 1QFY18
Taking unfair share in UFB – 16% share of all UFB connections in 1QFY18
More than 50,000 UFB customers with a reduced churn rate of 1.4% in 1QFY18 (FY17 1.9%)
4,704 active energy customers and fastest growing energy retailer in Auckland
Bundling opportunity growing - energy attachment rate for new broadband customers 14.5% andmobile 13.3%[/COLOR]
55% of all subscribers signed in 1QFY18 were digital only sign ups
]Business & Government sector activities restructured under Vocus Communications branding
GM for business segments appointed recently
Vocus Communications energy services launched, targeting the SMB segment [/COLOR]

Joshuatree
23-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Trader Jackson
Correct, they are preparing the NZ business for sale - wonder if this means listing or trade sale? Probably trade sale, but to who and at what ratios? Vodafone before they list?

Cricketfan
24-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Vocus selling its NZ investments includes slingshot,NZ Racing and Orcon(i think)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/98153628/nzs-fourth-largest-telco-put-on-block-by-australian-owner

couta1
30-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Spark has never recovered it's dividend since going Ex on Sept 21st at $3.84, actually quite out of character for the stock, struggling around $3.60 for a while now.

BeeBop
30-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Spark has never recovered it's dividend since going Ex on Sept 21st at $3.84, actually quite out of character for the stock, struggling around $3.60 for a while now.

And quite contrary to my plan too!!! Now I am i SPK for a longer-hold. Wonder if the proposed VOD listing is anything to do with it. At least the dividend is good.

couta1
30-11-2017, 05:09 PM
And quite contrary to my plan too!!! Now I am i SPK for a longer-hold. Wonder if the proposed VOD listing is anything to do with it. At least the dividend is good. Yes that's the good thing about SPK, it's like a hedge fund, if things don't go to plan, just keep holding for the next divvy. More to do with the big overseas boys moving money around due to currency fluctuations, and US interest rate projections, than the possible VOD listing IMO. Disc-My biggest holding.

Entrep
30-11-2017, 06:31 PM
I jumped on this train today. Looking forward to the divis.

tobo
16-01-2018, 12:59 PM
From website: Subject to no adverse change in operating outlook, Spark anticipates paying a total FY18 dividend per share of 25.0 cents that is at least 75% imputed. This dividend is likely to be made up of an ordinary dividend determined by earnings, topped up by a special dividend to maintain a total dividend per share of 25.0 cents.
H1 FY18 Results Announcement 21 Feb 2018,
Dividend paid 1st-2nd week of April,
So what will shake the sp up? (ignoring that tiny red drop underneath the trend line?) Perhaps a good time to buy. (Discl: don't currently hold but watching.)

couta1
16-01-2018, 02:08 PM
From website: Subject to no adverse change in operating outlook, Spark anticipates paying a total FY18 dividend per share of 25.0 cents that is at least 75% imputed. This dividend is likely to be made up of an ordinary dividend determined by earnings, topped up by a special dividend to maintain a total dividend per share of 25.0 cents.
H1 FY18 Results Announcement 21 Feb 2018,
Dividend paid 1st-2nd week of April,
So what will shake the sp up? (ignoring that tiny red drop underneath the trend line?) Perhaps a good time to buy. (Discl: don't currently hold but watching.)
9406 On a dividend yield of 7% net currently and a PE of 15, I reckon it's great buying atm, but I guess I'm biased as I hold a good number of them at a higher price. PS-It has yet to recover it's last divvy.

RupertBear
23-01-2018, 11:41 AM
On a dividend yield of 7% net currently and a PE of 15, I reckon it's great buying atm, but I guess I'm biased as I hold a good number of them at a higher price. PS-It has yet to recover it's last divvy.

Thinking of buying a few less stressful shares to balance out my PPH and ATM roller coasters! Still looks like a good time to buy a few of these?

RupertBear
23-01-2018, 12:01 PM
I am tossing up between MEL, SPK or GNE and of course HGL but that seems quite expensive atm....?

couta1
23-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Thinking of buying a few less stressful shares to balance out my PPH and ATM roller coasters! Still looks like a good time to buy a few of these? Certainly is, SPK has been range bound for quite a while now, next result and divvy not too far away, I like MEL and MCY as far as the power companies go but you won't go far wrong holding any of the others.

RupertBear
23-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Certainly is, SPK has been range bound for quite a while now, next result and divvy not too far away, I like MEL and MCY as far as the power companies go but you won't go far wrong holding any of the others.

Thanks Couta :)

airedale
24-01-2018, 09:44 PM
SPK down to $3.50 today. Looking attractive from a dividend point of view.

peat
24-01-2018, 10:30 PM
I'll be looking for signs of support at 3:46

JoeGrogan
24-01-2018, 10:33 PM

Indeed dividend strip seems to be on the cards.

bull....
25-01-2018, 06:00 AM
trading range breakdown? i picking broadband numbers under pressure margin squeeze as an issue to come.

ziggy415
25-01-2018, 11:17 AM
trading range breakdown? i picking broadband numbers under pressure margin squeeze as an issue to come.

I was thinking more the interest rate in the good ol us of A rising and then throw in Vodafone possible listing might be the reason

couta1
25-01-2018, 11:22 AM
I was thinking more the interest rate in the good ol us of A rising and then throw in Vodafone possible listing might be the reason Your onto it.

ziggy415
25-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Your onto it.

if it is the vadafone listing i cant see customers leaving spark broadband just go to the new boy on the block......I see it more the funds needing to sell spark and buy vodafone to balance their passive funds....thats my theory anyway...been known to be wrong before...just ask my wife....she,s always right

craic
31-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Current rates are in keeping with annual fluctuations. I have been trading this lot since before the flood and I get the same touch of panic every year until I go and look at the chart and see where it went last year and the year before at this time. My trading drops now to the 250-60 range (sell as close to 260 as I can and buy back as close to 250 as I can). Still the same margin of profit but a lot more care needed.

peat
07-02-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm assuming you mean 3:50 - 3:60 Craic

I picked up a few Spark this morning based on the level that I stated a few posts ago being 3:46 where a bullish gartley has played out to the tee. I guess the yield helps this.
I'm in the unusual position of coming into a wad of cash soon from my property sale so it will be necessary to have more in equities even if we are in a bear from here on.

oldtech
14-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Wow ... $3.39. I've been resisting the temptation to do any topping up anywhere just at the moment, but with the dividend yield on this I'm finding it increasingly hard to resist ...

Beagle
14-02-2018, 03:18 PM
if it is the vadafone listing i cant see customers leaving spark broadband just go to the new boy on the block......I see it more the funds needing to sell spark and buy vodafone to balance their passive funds....thats my theory anyway...been known to be wrong before...just ask my wife....she,s always right

I think that sum's it up plus institutions will want o some piece of the pie in vodafail and given its chequered history the pricing of the float will need to be cheap.
We saw all the incumbent players in the retirement industry have their SP's come under serious pressure when OCA listed last year.

JoeGrogan
14-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Wow ... $3.39. I've been resisting the temptation to do any topping up anywhere just at the moment, but with the dividend yield on this I'm finding it increasingly hard to resist ...

330 will be the test, hasn't dipped under that for a long time. The one thing with this share at the moment is the rising interest rate reaction in the market, and a lot of overseas money being invested in SPK for the yield. The CPI update tomorrow will be worth monitoring imo

bull....
14-02-2018, 04:40 PM

in danger of dropping thru the reliablr 3.40 support which has worked well for a long time

couta1
14-02-2018, 06:00 PM
330 will be the test, hasn't dipped under that for a long time. The one thing with this share at the moment is the rising interest rate reaction in the market, and a lot of overseas money being invested in SPK for the yield. The CPI update tomorrow will be worth monitoring imo The overseas money is the big driver with this stock and there is a lot more of it than most other stocks on the NZX, currency fluctuations is another driver. Current price is a steal IMO ,for those divvy lovers out there. PS-Im currently down 8% and it makes up a big portion of my portfolio.

bull....
21-02-2018, 08:58 AM

On the ball i reckon revenues up but margins down, more cost cutting to come to prop up profits for the next financial year and was that a profit warning in there? if they accelerate this.

no mention of any aquisitions or looking to do any? just cost cutting .... seems to be the same story right across the telco space thats for sure.

oldtech
21-02-2018, 09:29 AM
So, warning they might miss the forecast for the full year, reporting a 3.4 per cent fall in profit for the six months to the end of December ...

... but still sticking with 25 cps at least 75% imputed.

Be interesting to see what the market thinks of this, I admit I am not smart enough to work out which way this will go.

Disc: Hold, and employee.

couta1
21-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Overall a pretty solid result, mobile revenues up, cloud/security/service management revenue up, proves it's progressing along it's path of becoming a true tech company. Dividend unchanged and outlook unchanged, albeit only 75% imputed this time. SP will probably drop as a lot of others have of late following results eg GNE(Good result but down) plus the US being down. PS-Still the pick of the Telcos IMO.

oldtech
21-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Mr Market unimpressed, down to $3.39 already

couta1
21-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Mr Market unimpressed, down to $3.39 already Tough day on planet SPK, the US money movers getting board again, I won't be selling any of my large holding(Currently bleeding like a stuck pig) happy just to just keep collecting divvies and see where it is at in a year or two. I've learnt not to get involved with the big boys games.

bull....
21-02-2018, 06:44 PM
looks like it wants to head to the 2.75 support area

couta1
21-02-2018, 06:51 PM
looks like it wants to head to the 2.75 support area Stop scaremongering bull, it hasn't even gone below $3.30 yet, $2.75 would indicate a train wreck result, which clearly it wasn't.

bull....
21-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Stop scaremongering bull, it hasn't even gone below $3.30 yet, $2.75 would indicate a train wreck result, which clearly it wasn't.

just reading the tea leafs , chart broken down today .... probably get some people support it till div then be down. its running up hill against negative telco sector sentiment and rising bond yields

Baa_Baa
21-02-2018, 07:21 PM

Inverted hammer / (close to a) gravestone doji on the weekly chart. Looks like it could be a low/ready to bounce on heaps of horizontal supports back into 2016, though plunging indicators with room to move lower are unsettling. I'm not holding, my simple weekly system was a sell in Sept 2017. Maybe it's a buy!

Master98
21-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Likely until spark update it's FY2018 earnings guidance,remove this uncertainty.

Master98
21-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Tough day on planet SPK, the US money movers getting board again, I won't be selling any of my large holding(Currently bleeding like a stuck pig) happy just to just keep collecting divvies and see where it is at in a year or two. I've learnt not to get involved with the big boys games.
Dear couta,you investment strategies more like buy bonds rather than risky shares,look your dividends got far less than captial loss, that's my two cents point.

couta1
21-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Dear couta,you investment strategies more like buy bonds rather than risky shares,look your dividends got far less than captial loss, that's my two cents point. Time will tell, but I've been in this space before and come out the other side okay.

bull....
22-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Inverted hammer / (close to a) gravestone doji on the weekly chart. Looks like it could be a low/ready to bounce on heaps of horizontal supports back into 2016, though plunging indicators with room to move lower are unsettling. I'm not holding, my simple weekly system was a sell in Sept 2017. Maybe it's a buy!

see what your talking about 2016 , but i see it as weak support ... long term trend line from 2014 has been broken after completion of the double top at 3.90 good fib and support levels around the 2.75 level where i see it going once your 2016 levels go.

dobby41
22-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Dear couta,you investment strategies more like buy bonds rather than risky shares,look your dividends got far less than captial loss, that's my two cents point.

There is no capital loss if you haven't sold - and you still get the dividend.
You can also buy more at a higher yield in the dips.

BIRMANBOY
22-02-2018, 09:14 AM
That may be overstating the real worth of your advice/opinion since no-one other than the investor themselves know the back story, the previous investment history for that and what that investors guidelines and plan is. Potentially more useful to tell us what you would do rather than pick apart others strategies when logic would or should tell you that making assumptions is always going to be less than helpful if you dont know or understand the full picture. However if you are the designated financial adviser for couta1 then of course this would give your post some weight?

Mickey
27-02-2018, 09:48 AM
At 3.33 it looks oversold. The broker reports I've read put the target SP in a range of 3.40-3.80. Certainly looking to accumulate a few more once price settles after ex div.

Discl. makes up the largest % of my long term dividend stocks

couta1
27-02-2018, 10:33 AM
At 3.33 it looks oversold. The broker reports I've read put the target SP in a range of 3.40-3.80. Certainly looking to accumulate a few more once price settles after ex div.

Discl. makes up the largest % of my long term dividend stocks Ditto re largest % for divvy stock. Beagle reckons the upcoming Vodafail listing is waying on the stock.PS-We don't know yet when that listing will be but Insto's will need money ready to buy.

bull....
27-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Discl. makes up the largest % of my long term dividend stocks

nah its just consolidating between 3.35 - 3.40 at the moment give it a little longer to go lower

couta1
27-02-2018, 01:16 PM
nah its just consolidating between 3.35 - 3.40 at the moment give it a little longer to go lower The resident doomsday prophet speaketh.

bull....
27-02-2018, 01:31 PM
The resident doomsday prophet speaketh.

nah just reading what i see in the charts , ya know the charts never lie in hindsight .... you should do more chart reading my charts told me to get out at 3.90 , now im shorting spark looking for it to go lower , ties in with bad sector sentiment and fundamental structural issues in the sector etc

couta1
27-02-2018, 01:42 PM
nah just reading what i see in the charts , ya know the charts never lie in hindsight .... you should do more chart reading my charts told me to get out at 3.90 , now im shorting spark looking for it to go lower , ties in with bad sector sentiment and fundamental structural issues in the sector etc To put it politely, I'm not keen on the practise of shorting, especially in conjunction with downramping. Charts have their uses obviously but the future is unknown and can take any number of twists and turns, meantime SPK will continue to be an essential part of NZ infrastructure, paying divvies to your mum and dad investors, to help them live more comfortably.

bull....
27-02-2018, 01:51 PM
To put it politely, I'm not keen on the practise of shorting, especially in conjunction with downramping. Charts have their uses obviously but the future is unknown and can take any number of twists and turns, meantime SPK will continue to be an essential part of NZ infrastructure, paying divvies to your mum and dad investors, to help them live more comfortably.

future is unknown for sure but spark for the for seeable future seems set to keep cutting costs , waste money on light box and pay for movies ( which is hardly a big money earner when most young people watch them free ) when they have no hope in hell of bettering netflix offering dont seem willing to bet big on a future path by way of aquisitions ( not surprising as amazon , google etc seem to have most angles covered ) other telcos are in similar vein , dividends will be reduced some day just like telstra its inevitable unless something changes

couta1
09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
nah just reading what i see in the charts , ya know the charts never lie in hindsight .... you should do more chart reading my charts told me to get out at 3.90 , now im shorting spark looking for it to go lower , ties in with bad sector sentiment and fundamental structural issues in the sector etc Hey bull, how's that SPK short going? You reckon it was going to $2.75, currently $3.52, feeling the burn yet mate.

bull....
09-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Hey bull, how's that SPK short going? You reckon it was going to $2.75, currently $3.52, feeling the burn yet mate.

whats the news? chairman got some shares today? i know must be lightbox has season 7 suits on but netflix only has up to season 6 , spark has the competitive advantage at the moment for sure.

couta1
09-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Well that was a bullish day and finish for SPK, and that ain't no bull.

bull....
09-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Well that was a bullish day and finish for SPK, and that ain't no bull.

yes surprising , see the whole telecom sector in aus was strong today, maybe sentiment changing to the sector? time will tell

Major von Tempsky
12-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Does anybody understand Agile in the remotest and can explain it to the rest of us?

bull....
15-03-2018, 06:00 PM
collected my dividend thx , now wheres that short hiding lol

peat
20-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Does anybody understand Agile in the remotest and can explain it to the rest of us?

AGILE is a software development methodology. So its a way of organising IT projects.

As its name suggest it is " rooted in adaptive planning, early delivery and continuous improvement, all with an eye toward being able to respond to change quickly and easily."

That may or may not help you but the main point is that it works on principles of being collaborative, flexible and adaptive.
IT projects used to take years and then explode into either failure or success. Now they try to evaluate them a lot more frequently - teams will regularly show off their work and gather feedback so that they can adapt.

Non techies dont need to understand much more than this I reckon.

RGR367
20-03-2018, 11:48 AM
As far as I understand, SPK still got a lot of legacy IT systems and it would be interesting if AGILE can make their "maintenance" fit this new methodology. One good thing though is that AGILE won't need a lot of middle managers to make it work. Just another way of saying that cutting on overheads is their only way of improving the bottom line again, I suppose.

morphs
20-03-2018, 12:45 PM
I'm in the software business. "Agile" is just the latest in a long line of silver bullets intended to de-risk large IT development projects and implement new software in smaller stages rather than the old style "waterfall" approach. I can say with some confidence that the success or failure of these projects is just as much down to project management, scope management and the technical expertise of the software developers, rather than any particular methodology, "agile", "waterfall" or whatever. This is nothing against Spark, they are just following along using the same buzzwords that the rest of the industry currently expects. If you're not "agile" there is something wrong with you. In my view, it is of no significance to the future prospects of the company, I'm not sure why they felt the need to mention it.

kiora
27-03-2018, 08:41 PM
LoRa Wan.IOT.Game changer?
https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/635321/spark-launches-new-iot-network-nationally/

peat
27-03-2018, 10:27 PM
LoRa Wan.IOT.Game changer?
https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/635321/spark-launches-new-iot-network-nationally/

I wouldnt think its a game changer , however it does indicate that wireless is developing and will take over more and more of the network.

Speaking of wireless I am now temporarily operating the mobile broadband solution that Spark offer. Jeez it is so easy. Seriously, you just plug in the power and push the on button. Just like a toaster or a fridge. Plug and play internet. 120GB a month is the datacap, which is not really adequate for me so I will still get fibre installed. .

For many people it would be perfectly adequate though , what a great solution!

I repeat sell CNU.

Jay
28-03-2018, 08:11 AM
peat, do you have anything that you can connect to away from your home, such as an alarm system to monitor, heat pump etc.
About 12 months or so ago, I moved to Spark wireless as they said it will do anything a fixed connection will do, well it didn't , could not connect to our house alarm outside of the home wifi network, after about a month of trying to get an answer including them offering to get more technical help for a "small" fee, - no thanks , your problem not mine and then emailing someone quite high up finally told me that something to do with protocols of mobile internet, cannot connect from the outside . With more and more things wifi enabled - such as alarms systems heat pumps, lights etc, would have thought that would be a barrier. Transferred to fibre at no cost to me including sending me another modem.
But yes easy as, get the modem plug in it and away I went.
I am located in suburbia by the way
Just wondering if things have now changed?

dobby41
28-03-2018, 08:35 AM

I don't believe that they have.
Mobile uses NAT and that causes issues - you don't have an Internet routable address on the device and it is translated dynamically at the Mobile/Internet boarder.

kiora
28-03-2018, 09:09 AM
I use 2 deg $70/month unlimited calls,txt Aus Nz & 25 GB ?/month that roll over if they aren't used.The data is set up to share with mobile modem SIM card.Modem plugs in any where:).I don't use any more data than this so don't need broadband.Easy peasy :)

Zaphod
28-03-2018, 09:25 AM
peat, do you have anything that you can connect to away from your home, such as an alarm system to monitor, heat pump etc.
About 12 months or so ago, I moved to Spark wireless as they said it will do anything a fixed connection will do, well it didn't , could not connect to our house alarm outside of the home wifi network, after about a month of trying to get an answer including them offering to get more technical help for a "small" fee, - no thanks , your problem not mine and then emailing someone quite high up finally told me that something to do with protocols of mobile internet, cannot connect from the outside . With more and more things wifi enabled - such as alarms systems heat pumps, lights etc, would have thought that would be a barrier. Transferred to fibre at no cost to me including sending me another modem.

As dobby41 has stated, nothing's changed.

You can opt for a separate cellular connection for your alarm, or purchase a compatible alarm system that relies on the data connection. Most IOT devices (e.g. heatpumps, lightbulbs, fridges etc.) are poorly implemented from a security perspective, so I would avoid them in you're not a technical person.

kiora
28-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Can LoRaWAN be used for IOT away from home?
https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/articles/techzone/2016/nov/lorawan-part-1-15-km-wireless-10-year-battery-life-iot

Jay
28-03-2018, 10:37 AM
As dobby41 has stated, nothing's changed.

You can opt for a separate cellular connection for your alarm, or purchase a compatible alarm system that relies on the data connection. Most IOT devices (e.g. heatpumps, lightbulbs, fridges etc.) are poorly implemented from a security perspective, so I would avoid them in you're not a technical person.

So much for you can control your house (or the things in it) from anywhere then:) Agree Zaphod, security is an issue for most.

Me, only the alarm system. I would like to know if my alarm goes off! (No problem sending info out to the monitoring provider) I think the ones with a separate cell number need topping up every 12 months, not a lot of money ($20 every year), but a hassle having to remember to do it.

bull....
28-03-2018, 10:48 AM
spark/tvnz may have one the rights to world cup rugby

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/102653096/sky-unlikely-to-be-the-place-to-watch-the-next-rugby-world-cup

Jay
28-03-2018, 01:30 PM
If they have, wonder if they stream it for free - does not count as data:)
Might gain a few new customers albeit maybe some temporarily

Onion
28-03-2018, 03:15 PM
So much for you can control your house (or the things in it) from anywhere then:) Agree Zaphod, security is an issue for most.

Me, only the alarm system. I would like to know if my alarm goes off! (No problem sending info out to the monitoring provider) I think the ones with a separate cell number need topping up every 12 months, not a lot of money ($20 every year), but a hassle having to remember to do it.

A lot of new devices such as internet connected cameras and alerts to your mobile device when someone rings your doorbell are only as good as that tiny glass fibre that runs out into the street (or the copper wire if the broadband roll-out hasn't come to your neighbourhood).

If your security system relies on your broadband connection ... and your fibre is just tacked to the fence in clear view (like mine is) then it isn't very difficult for an intruder to snip the connection as he/she walks in your front gate.

Probably a separate mobile connection will be more resilient.

peat
28-03-2018, 04:17 PM

No I dont presently.
I think others have responded to your query so no need for me to now.

bull....
05-04-2018, 10:39 AM
threatening the lows after that div capture spike and dump

couta1
05-04-2018, 10:59 AM
threatening the lows after that div capture spike and dump 52wk low of $3.32 has not been broken, despite all the volatility.

bull....
05-04-2018, 11:55 AM
52wk low of $3.32 has not been broken, despite all the volatility.

3.30 now , i did participate in the div spike and dump did quite well but have left the house again , waiting for better times , spark has held up very well compared to aus teleco's not sure if its a good or bad thing?

Pavan Sharma
05-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Just on a downward trend inline with rising interest rates market volatility, still reckon Spark looks more attractive then the Aussie Telco providers

couta1
05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Just on a downward trend inline with rising interest rates market volatility, still reckon Spark looks more attractive then the Aussie Telco providers Definitely more attractive than the likes of Telstra, interest rates arent going anywhere in NZ for the foreseeable future, so SPK a very attractive divvy stock for your Mum and Dad investors.PS-A day like today is just an example of the big boys playing cards.

jimmybuffett
16-04-2018, 09:20 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12033269

Well, there you go, 7 games free to air, pay for the rest. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, how it affects SKY customers as well.

winner69
16-04-2018, 09:40 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12033269

Well, there you go, 7 games free to air, pay for the rest. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, how it affects SKY customers as well.

Unless ABs in opening game or the Final no ABs games free to year. Listening to Mounter on readio this morning unlikely to get AB games replayed on free to air either

But to you guys all irrelevant as you seem to get this stuff streamed free anyway

TideMan
16-04-2018, 09:48 AM
He also said about $100 for the package (all games) and no interruptions for ads during the games.
All sounds good to me.

winner69
16-04-2018, 09:58 AM
He also said about $100 for the package (all games) and no interruptions for ads during the games.
All sounds good to me.

$100 plus or minus sort off

Betcha infrastructure wont manage ..... can't even get a morning of Spotify without it dropping out

Jay
16-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Wonder if existing Spark customers will get it all free/free data

bull....
16-04-2018, 10:12 AM
i like the deal , will be very $ beneficial for spark/tvnz i reckon if they pull it off seemlessly.

Snoopy
19-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Well the telephone companies are leading the way in cutting costs and squeezing every last ounce of profit that they can from their business. I've experienced terrible service from both Spark and Vodafone over the last 2 years, their products are great until there is a problem. It is only then that you realise how bad things have become.

They have done the maths and realised the cost to improve service is far more than the profit lost of customers who leave due to bad service.

As an investor, I struggle to want to back a company that is this short sighted. I know others are the same, it's nice to use the services of owned companies and feel a sense of pride that they care about their customers.

Have things turned for Spark since this July 2016 post?

I had a couple of dealings with them over the last few months. I had been making a few more toll calls than usual due to the ongoing poor health of a close family member. I think Spark rang me about some promotion and then we got chatting about the cost of toll calls. Spark had noticed I was making more calls than usual and wanted to tell me about the $15 fixed charge I could opt for that gave me as many toll calls as I liked in NZ for the month. I said thanks but no thanks as the family member was now on the mend, so I didn't anticipate making so many calls the next month. Then I was told that I could in advance opt into the no extra charge toll call plan for a month and drop out of it the next month. This is something I did not know, and was a good money saving tip. I relay this advice as a tip to others who may yet come into my situation.

The next Spark encounter saw me setting up a 'fixed line wireless' account. I went through all the usual over the phone box ticking exercise. Then the guy said to me: " I think we might be running a promotion in your area where if you adopt fixed line mobile, you get three months of line charges waived." I had heard about this but thought the promotion had expired, so didn't think to ask about it. Sure enough the promotion was still available and I got three month's connection for free!

What we have here is two examples where the Spark staff went out of their way to save me a few dollars. This is the exact opposite to the Theresa Gattung Telecom era policies of 'confusion', keeping customers muddled about their options so they ended up paying more.

Well done Spark, for taking the time to explain to your customers the most cost effective options! A real back flip on the policies of old!

SNOOPY

discl: Customer and Shareholder

Baa_Baa
19-04-2018, 08:40 PM
@Snoopy, good that you finally got a good experience and better services at lower costs, but shame that you had to work so hard to get it. It would be exemplary service if it proactively came to you without having to seek it out. None of these Telco's are proactive, they rely on customer apathy which sadly works very well for them, as does sh1tty customer service (i.e call centre wait times) hence resistance to bother contacting them, it sustains profitability to ignore the customers who are not insistent. It's not that much different from the Gattung days as few customers in the scheme of things bother to challenge and lo and behold, discover there is a better deal for them, if only they'd bothered asking.

TideMan
19-04-2018, 10:13 PM
It's not that much different from the Gattung days
Except that we don't have to see her on TV every night telling blatant lies.
I wonder if there is a better bald-faced liar anywhere in NZ business.

couta1
19-04-2018, 10:22 PM
I wonder if there is a better bald-faced liar anywhere in NZ business. Or a better example of a Trougher.

dobby41
20-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Just got fibre after lagging behind for a while.
A lady came around to 'sell' it to me.
Signed up. Date set for the next week - all steps in 1 visit.
Date comes around, they arrive on time. 3 hours later all done, running perfectly.
Now I have a $300 credit for going fibre + free Netflix for 6 months and a free speed upgrade for 1 year.
So I'm at least $300 better off for getting a better product.
Not sure that this is good for the shareholder - who pays customers to take their product?
Yes - I do know that Spark now doesn't have to pay for the copper.

Snoopy
20-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Just got fibre after lagging behind for a while.
A lady came around to 'sell' it to me.
Signed up. Date set for the next week - all steps in 1 visit.
Date comes around, they arrive on time. 3 hours later all done, running perfectly.
Now I have a $300 credit for going fibre + free Netflix for 6 months and a free speed upgrade for 1 year.
So I'm at least $300 better off for getting a better product.
Not sure that this is good for the shareholder - who pays customers to take their product?
Yes - I do know that Spark now doesn't have to pay for the copper.

As a shareholder I am always pleased to see a happy customer. If Spark give you a good service at a good price, there is every reason that you will stay with them. And that is good for both customers and shareholders.

While it is true that Spark now don't have to pay for the copper (if a customer signs up onto their fixed network mobile deal), I would be very surprised if Spark were not paying Chorus for the line into your house Dobby41. Line owner Chorus, who wholesale to Spark, owns the copper as well as the fibre. I am not sure that Spark's own mobile network is a suitable conduit for steaming Netflix. So I would say you very likely are paying indirectly for the network that Chorus now owns. And that network still contains copper, even if your own house doesn't plug directly into it. So one way or another, I think you are paying Spark for the copper Dobby41.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
20-04-2018, 11:59 AM
@Snoopy, good that you finally got a good experience and better services at lower costs, but shame that you had to work so hard to get it. It would be exemplary service if it proactively came to you without having to seek it out.

The first bit did pro-actively come to me Baa. And the second bit, signing up to the fixed mobile deal, as originally offered on the snail mail promotion card, was easy too. The connecting modem arrived promptly and ahead of schedule.

None of these Telco's are proactive, they rely on customer apathy which sadly works very well for them,

Not true for Spark, as both Dobby and I can testify.

as does sh1tty customer service (i.e call centre wait times) hence resistance to bother contacting them, it sustains profitability to ignore the customers who are not insistent.

I agree that the phone line help wait can be unacceptable. The machine told me to hang on for two hours yesterday! Fortunately with this threat of audio torture, I was able to scrape back the depths of my memory to find my answer, so hung up!

However, if you go into the Spark mobile shops, which I can do now that my 'fixed ' line is mobile, I find that I can get good service. Strangely the help line waiting time seems to be less than if you had rung from home too!

Meanwhile a lot of help is now on line.

https://www.spark.co.nz/help/

Spark has signalled the migrating of help from 'on the end of a phone' to 'on line' for some time.

It's not that much different from the Gattung days as few customers in the scheme of things bother to challenge and lo and behold, discover there is a better deal for them, if only they'd bothered asking.

Not true again. Before I went onto the fixed mobile land line, my old account was upgraded to a new cheaper deal without me having to inquire about it.

SNOOPY

dobby41
20-04-2018, 12:03 PM
As a shareholder I am always pleased to see a happy customer. If Spark give you a good service at a good price, there is every reason that you will stay with them. And that is good for both customers and shareholders.

While it is true that Spark now don't have to pay for the copper (if a customer signs up onto their fixed network mobile deal), I would be very surprised if Spark were not paying Chorus for the line into your house Dobby41. Line owner Chorus, who wholesale to Spark, owns the copper as well as the fibre. I am not sure that Spark's own mobile network is a suitable conduit for steaming Netflix. So I would say you very likely are paying indirectly for the network that Chorus now owns. And that network still contains copper, even if your own house doesn't plug directly into it. So one way or another, I think you are paying Spark for the copper Dobby41.

SNOOPY
Actually I'm not pay directly or indirectly for Chorus copper as I am in Hamilton and the LFC is UltraFast.
That aside the price for the fibre connection is regulated so a person on the Chorus network pays the same as a person on any of the other 3 LFCs so there is no cross subsidy. (Chorus may cross-subsidise internally but the customer isn't really paying.)
Also, it is my understanding that the fibre cost is less than the regulated copper cost (though I could be wrong on this).

Spark likes to push Wireless Broadband because it only uses Sparks network irrespective of bandwidth constraints. WBB is suitable for Netflix - a friend of mine has it and uses it for Netflix quite happily. To be fair they only use 1 stream so using it for more than one stream at a time may give a different result.

Snoopy
20-04-2018, 12:19 PM
I wonder if there is a better bald-faced liar anywhere in NZ business.

Or a better example of a Trougher.

I also remember the arrogance, the moment of disbelief when Theresa found out local line un-bundling was going to happen, and the subsequent plummeting Telecom share price. It has taken ten years. But I have now recovered my capital losses and received a pretty healthy dividend stream along the way while waiting. I really think you guys need to move on. Telecom, or Spark as it is now, seem to have moved on, so why dwell on the Theresa Gattung era? There are probably plenty of Spark customers now, who don't know who Gattung is.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
20-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Actually I'm not pay directly or indirectly for Chorus copper as I am in Hamilton and the LFC is UltraFast.

That is interesting. Here in ChCh most of the broadband network in the CBD is being built by Enable, a local company. I thought that this was handed over to Chorus after the construction was finished though? I imagine the same applies to Ultrafast in Hamilton? I could be wrong about this. But from what I recall, most of the broadband network is being built by Chorus, with a few exceptions (like the two examples listed), and it all links up together with the Chorus build across the country. So to say that you are not connected to the Chorus network, just because the line outside your place wasn't put in by Chorus, isn't the full picture.

That aside the price for the fibre connection is regulated so a person on the Chorus network pays the same as a person on any of the other 3 LFCs so there is no cross subsidy. (Chorus may cross-subsidise internally but the customer isn't really paying.)

OK, so from a consumer perspective, everyone with a fibre line running outside their house pays the same wholesale connection price component for their broadband, regardless of who the retail provider is.

Also, it is my understanding that the fibre cost is less than the regulated copper cost (though I could be wrong on this).

I remember hearing something like that as well. I think the aim is to ultimately nudge consumers to move from copper to fibre. I recall it being sold at retail level as the same price for either service though, at least while some consumers do not have the option to switch to fibre.

Spark likes to push Wireless Broadband because it only uses Sparks network irrespective of bandwidth constraints. WBB is suitable for Netflix - a friend of mine has it and uses it for Netflix quite happily. To be fair they only use 1 stream so using it for more than one stream at a time may give a different result.

Interesting that your friend can stream Netflix via the Spark Wireless Broadband Network. First I have heard of it. The WBB package that I signed up for has quite modest data allowances before you start paying a lot more. I presumed that the WBB charging rates are set up this way to encourage streamers onto fibre broadband. I imagine your friend would be paying through the nose for data if they watch a lot of Netflix!

SNOOPY

dobby41
20-04-2018, 12:31 PM
That is interesting. Here in ChCh most of the broadband network is being built by Enable, a local company. I thought that this was handed over to Chorus after the construction was finished though? I imagine the same applies to Ultrafast in Hamilton? I could be wrong though!

Chch is Enable, Hamilton, Waikato and bits of Central, Taranaki and (I think) Hawkes Bay) are UltraFast, Northland is NorthPower.
Chorus has something like 83%.
Once the LFCs build they continue to operate their piece of paradise. It most definitely isn't handed over to Chorus.

Snoopy
20-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Chch is Enable, Hamilton, Waikato and bits of Central, Taranaki and (I think) Hawkes Bay) are UltraFast, Northland is NorthPower.
Chorus has something like 83%.
Once the LFCs build they continue to operate their piece of paradise. It most definitely isn't handed over to Chorus.

I appreciate the ownership correction.

From an end line consumer's perspective though, there is nothing to say who the fibre owner is when they sign up to any retailer. And there is no difference in performance between a Chorus installed fibre or Enable, UltraFast or NorthPower installed fibre. So from an end line consumer's perspective, it doesn't really matter who owns it is the point I was trying to make. It is the likes of Spark who has to worry about such things, not the end line consumer.

SNOOPY

dobby41
20-04-2018, 01:12 PM
I appreciate the ownership correction.

From an end line consumer's perspective though, there is nothing to say who the fibre owner is when they sign up to any retailer. And there is no difference in performance between a Chorus installed fibre or Enable, UltraFast or NorthPower installed fibre. So from an end line consumer's perspective, it doesn't really matter who owns it is the point I was trying to make. It is the likes of Spark who has to worry about such things, not the end line consumer.

SNOOPY

I agree 100%.
Who Spark has to deal with is Sparks issue, you have a contract with Spark (or any other ISP) and that is what matters - after all you can't choose another LFC unless you move.
I totally missed your point - I thought it was something to do with me still paying, one way or another, for Chorus' copper.
But, anyway, my point around the copper is that Spark charges the same for Copper or Fibre broadband but fibre is cheaper so they are on a win. I presume that is why it is worth them giving me $300 to change (that and the, probably, less faults to run their help desk ragged (with winter coming that is probably a very real consideration)).

Jay
20-04-2018, 01:13 PM
I think it has been mentioned before, the more customers Spark or any of the others have on Wireless Broadband the less they pay to Chorus or NorthPowerr etc and therefore as the rates are (about) the same, the more profit they must be making.
Still WBB is not as fast as the faster Fibre speeds though from memory, so will not suit everyone at this point in time.

dobby41
20-04-2018, 01:28 PM
I think it has been mentioned before, the more customers Spark or any of the others have on Wireless Broadband the less they pay to Chorus or NorthPowerr etc and therefore as the rates are (about) the same, the more profit they must be making.
Still WBB is not as fast as the faster Fibre speeds though from memory, so will not suit everyone at this point in time.

Needs to be carefully controlled as you run out of cell bandwidth necessitating increased cell build-out - and that costs plenty.

Bobdn
20-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Good to see the market taking such a dim view of Spark getting the Rugby World Cup broadcast rights and I say this as a shareholder. And when i say "market" I mean the owners of the company. How much of our money was shredded on Tivo? Then there was Lightbox - I recall at least $60m was spent on that a couple of years back, how much more? And now its a giveaway!

Do we know how much was spent on the RWC rights? I like to think of it as cents per share.

couta1
20-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Good to see the market taking such a dim view of Spark getting the Rugby World Cup broadcast rights and I say this as a shareholder. And when i say "market" I mean the owners of the company. How much of our money was shredded on Tivo? Then there was Lightbox - I recall at least $60m was spent on that a couple of years back, how much more? And now its a giveaway!

Do we know how much was spent on the RWC rights? I like to think of it as cents per share. Just a Low volume down day,was $3.46 after the RWC announcement, we won't know how much was spent on the RWC rights until next year, probably too much I'd say.

Filthy
24-04-2018, 10:39 AM
looks like VOCUS is going to stick around awhile longer....

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20180424/pdf/43tfjnv6r0lk0x.pdf

thestg
29-04-2018, 08:53 PM
SPK has gone from over $3.90 down to below $3.35 over the last 8 months.
This has been the longest period of decline over the last 5 years.
Must be time for recovery?
Well hopping it will as I just bought in at $3.42 on Friday.

airedale
29-04-2018, 09:22 PM
So follow Buffet,s advice and Buy when others are fearful.

winner69
25-05-2018, 08:57 AM
These ‘tribes’ are expensive to run but supposedly delivering the goods

Bit of a hit this year but no worries

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/318434

bull....
25-05-2018, 05:30 PM
cost cutting to pump up 2019 , they all doing it in aus as well

couta1
25-05-2018, 05:53 PM
cost cutting to pump up 2019 , they all doing it in aus as well Buyers like the idea going by today's market, expecting SPK to be on sale come May31st, their slice of the MSCI index pie has to decrease once A2 enters.

couta1
28-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Buyers like the idea going by today's market, expecting SPK to be on sale come May31st, their slice of the MSCI index pie has to decrease once A2 enters. Hmm, strange the price is going up on volume prior to Thursday's rebalance, must be non index tracking funds buying.

peat
29-05-2018, 11:21 AM
gettin very cosy with the GCSB
certainly one could expect no privacy, though the defence may be enhanced.
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/3342c05b/spark-in-talks-with-gcsb-over-expansion-of-cortex-cyber-defence.html

vodafone were on an earlier trial with the GCSB , so at least they are agnostic.

peat
30-05-2018, 04:47 PM
From Feb 7th

I picked up a few Spark this morning based on the level that I stated a few posts ago being 3:46 where a bullish gartley has played out to the tee. I guess the yield helps this.

Minimum target of this gartley is now reached being +25c in a few months. Acceptable if not outstanding.... I may hang on for more though be nice to get 30c for first sell.

Mickey
01-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Spark customers will get Sky's Fan Pass service for $30 per month. Article link below:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104387872/spark-customers-will-get-skys-fan-pass-service-for-30-a-month

value_investor
04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
I could imagine working here to be incredibly tough. Seems a re-structure or a shuffling of the deck happens enough times for us to say they aren't "one off expenses". When do "one off expenses" stop being one off expenses?

I did a google search and voila

2017: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/94249279/spark-to-cut-operating-costs-by-25m-a-year

2016: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/83258885/Spark-streamlines-250-strong-back-office-team

disc: not a holder

oldtech
04-06-2018, 12:40 PM
I could imagine working here to be incredibly tough. Seems a re-structure or a shuffling of the deck happens enough times for us to say they aren't "one off expenses". When do "one off expenses" stop being one off expenses?

I did a google search and voila

2017: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/94249279/spark-to-cut-operating-costs-by-25m-a-year

2016: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/83258885/Spark-streamlines-250-strong-back-office-team

disc: not a holder

Yup, although I haven't gone through and worked out how often a restructure happens, as an employee it feels like whatever team you work in can generally expect a restructure of some sort every year. And as restructures/reorgs tend to go through different areas of the organisation at different times, you can almost guarantee that you know someone who is affected most months.

You get used to it, kind of ...

Disc: Spark employee, and holder.

dobby41
06-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Yup, although I haven't gone through and worked out how often a restructure happens, as an employee it feels like whatever team you work in can generally expect a restructure of some sort every year. And as restructures/reorgs tend to go through different areas of the organisation at different times, you can almost guarantee that you know someone who is affected most months.

You get used to it, kind of ...

Disc: Spark employee, and holder.
Yip - every year.
This one is early - they used to be just before Xmas.

RGR367
06-06-2018, 11:51 AM
And you get to learn that every reorg almost always coincide either as an Easter egg for you, or on a day/month falling on Queen's bday, or you need the long Labour weekend to take it in, or your X'mas gift for your last year there.
And there's that random (sic) survey following each restrcuture, the very first question of which is "Would you recommend Spark as a place to work?"

couta1
13-06-2018, 02:21 PM
At $3.82 now, that's nuts, you'd think their Quantum program was going to transform the company into the stratosphere.

Mickey
13-06-2018, 02:24 PM
It might go as far as to give $4 a nudge Couta. It tried in 2016 and 2017 so maybe 2018 is the year :-)

couta1
13-06-2018, 02:28 PM
It might go as far as to give $4 a nudge Couta. It tried in 2016 and 2017 so maybe 2018 is the year :-) Market is forward looking obviously even with a profit downgrade added, hope must be the strategy here.

Mickey
13-06-2018, 02:35 PM
And possibly Russell Stanners leaving Voda may have bolstered the Spark price a bit too. Quite happy to continue holding and grabbing that juicy div.

See that there was a 2.7M share trade that just went through too.

bull....
13-06-2018, 03:52 PM
the cost cutting is huge , boost profits 2019 nicely. stellar run 3.90 is the resistance

peat
13-06-2018, 03:57 PM
im out (from 3.46)

thestg
13-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Could not resist the $3.82. The Stochastic at the top & RSI over 70%
I had sold all my SPK. It could be a wrong move but bought them at $3.42 at the end of March and I feel they won't stay up there for too long.
Hope to buy back in below $3.60 before going XD.

DYOR as my methods do fail now & then.

couta1
13-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Good stuff you guys, I have fair value at $3.45 approx.

couta1
13-06-2018, 04:05 PM
the cost cutting is huge , boost profits 2019 nicely. stellar run 3.90 is the resistance HaHa a while ago you were downramping the stock and reckoned it was going to $2.70, now you've switched to up ramping.

bull....
13-06-2018, 04:53 PM
HaHa a while ago you were downramping the stock and reckoned it was going to $2.70, now you've switched to up ramping.

lol thats what traders do switch sides all the time

couta1
13-06-2018, 06:02 PM
lol thats what traders do switch sides all the time Best to keep that switching to yourself rather than trying to convince the less experienced that the stock is worth buying at an inflated price for your benefit.

bull....
14-06-2018, 03:36 AM
Best to keep that switching to yourself rather than trying to convince the less experienced that the stock is worth buying at an inflated price for your benefit.

i dont know how highlighting a previous resistance area is ramping?

anyway heres a definition

Resistance in technical analysis is a price level that a rising stock can't seem to overcome. Once a stock reaches resistance, it often stalls and reverses.Resistance is caused by heavy selling that overpowers buying, and typically occurs at specific price levels

anyway back to watching my AMD investment it seems to be ramping up nicely

couta1
14-06-2018, 07:13 AM
If anyone reads all your posts on this stock over the last few months bull, they can join the dots to see where your motivation is coming from.

bull....
14-06-2018, 07:18 AM
If anyone reads all your posts on this stock over the last few months bull, they can join the dots to see where your motivation is coming from.

you obviously dont read far enough back lol think i mentioned a parcel of long term as well as short term

Sideshow Bob
14-06-2018, 11:09 AM
the cost cutting is huge , boost profits 2019 nicely. stellar run 3.90 is the resistance

Continuation of the cost cutting

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104703350/spark-gives-staff-a-week-to-consider-new-job-contracts

winner69
19-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Is this what we can look forward to next year re World Cup coverage

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-game/104818655/sbs-to-show-world-cup-matches-in-australia-for-next-48-hours-as-streaming-fails

Sideshow Bob
19-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Is this what we can look forward to next year re World Cup coverage

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-game/104818655/sbs-to-show-world-cup-matches-in-australia-for-next-48-hours-as-streaming-fails

No No No No, Spark are going to be ready and vow no problems!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/104826911/spark-confident-they-can-deliver-glitchfree-rugby-world-cup-to-kiwis

Personally, I'd be nervous. Sky while has its detractors, is proven technology and accessible all over NZ, including rural communities. Broadband, yeah nah. Need to prove it before the world cup.

dobby41
19-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Personally, I'd be nervous. Sky while has its detractors, is proven technology and accessible all over NZ, including rural communities. Broadband, yeah nah. Need to prove it before the world cup.

What would it need to do to 'prove itself' prior to the World Cup?
At the moment there is a huge amount of streaming via Netflix and Lightbox.

Sideshow Bob
19-06-2018, 08:26 PM
What would it need to do to 'prove itself' prior to the World Cup?
At the moment there is a huge amount of streaming via Netflix and Lightbox.

Nothing compared to a World Cup. Australia would have Netflix.....

dobby41
20-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Nothing compared to a World Cup. Australia would have Netflix.....

Didn't answer my question.
What would they have to do to prove themselves?

Sideshow Bob
20-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Didn't answer my question.
What would they have to do to prove themselves?

I'm no technical boffin, but sure that Optus hadn't done nothing in preparation for the World Cup streaming. On the news the other night, an 'expert' had said very difficult to test systems under such high load. I'm not saying Spark won't be alright, but any issues would be disastrous for them and the Rugby Union.

NBR today:

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/optus-world-cup-streaming-problems-will-send-chill-down-sparks-spine-ck-216422

winner69
20-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I'm no technical boffin, but sure that Optus hadn't done nothing in preparation for the World Cup streaming. On the news the other night, an 'expert' had said very difficult to test systems under such high load. I'm not saying Spark won't be alright, but any issues would be disastrous for them and the Rugby Union.

NBR today:

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/optus-world-cup-streaming-problems-will-send-chill-down-sparks-spine-ck-216422

With Spark it’s a good day if you can get something as simple as Spotify for a continuous hour without cutting out.

bull....
20-06-2018, 09:05 AM

a couta that 3.90 was spot on lol backed away from it big time yesterday

dobby41
20-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Spark have already started work on this.
There are many pieces to this - the actual streaming platform is one bit but you have to get it to the eyes - over other ISPs and, of course, Chorus/ Enable/ Ultrafast and Northpower local last mile networks.

dobby41
20-06-2018, 10:08 AM
With Spark it’s a good day if you can get something as simple as Spotify for a continuous hour without cutting out.

I have no problem with several HD streams at a time via Spark.
Not sure why you'd have a problem with Spotify.

winner69
02-07-2018, 09:03 AM
A Leadership Squad sounds impressive

In the welfare context or have some been playing too many computer games

Hope this Agile stuff works for them

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SPF/320209/282078.pdf

bull....
03-07-2018, 02:48 PM
on a tear today , very agile at the moment

couta1
03-07-2018, 02:59 PM
on a tear today , very agile at the moment Agile yet overvalued but not as much as CNU is (For once I agree with Morningstar)

dobby41
03-07-2018, 03:00 PM
on a tear today , very agile at the moment

Agile starts tomorrow :t_up:

bull....
10-07-2018, 10:02 AM
testing 3.90 again if we break im thinking the 4 test again?

winner69
19-07-2018, 11:49 AM
It’s catching on ....Vodafone going Agile now

Wonder how the Spark Squads are going ...taken any prisoners yet

Filthy
19-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Wonder how the Spark Squads are going..

Hmmm not fantastic from what I've heard. Boots on the ground have said it has created a bit of a toxic, competitive, cult-like & negative work environment that is not fun to be a party to. Still, as long as it makes more money then it must be good eh? Don't worry about the long-term affects it might have on the workforce..... note that this second hand information though, so obviously treat it with a pinch of salt.... & the agile bit seems to be fine.

percy
19-07-2018, 12:32 PM
We recently moved house.
Advice and level of service Spark provided were excellent.
No issues.So impressed I brought some SPK shares.

peat
19-07-2018, 01:08 PM
We recently moved house.
Advice and level of service Spark provided were excellent.
No issues.So impressed I brought some SPK shares.

yeh I've found them good during a transition to fibre (not managed by them of course) offering us the mobile broadband as a temp solution
but, Percy, you know my thoughts on anecdotal information as an input to decision making, and I recently sold out of Spark based on the higher price.

I wouldn't have thought their PEG was good enough for you. Earnings didnt go up 13% here as they say, as they sold Mayoral Drive for 20m and in fact
net earnings were only up around 3% as per the others.

I think they're doing well though, they do seem to be facing up to the new reality, confronting it head on with ideas and programmes to diversify and extract more revenue.
And their divi return is attractive for investors.

percy
19-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Yes I find I now have a few different objectives,which should be satisfied by SPK,MEL,and GNE.
Really look at them as a preference to holding bonds.

bull....
01-08-2018, 03:16 PM
gets smashed down every time it gets close to that 3.90 level

couta1
01-08-2018, 04:26 PM
gets smashed down every time it gets close to that 3.90 level Overvalued that's why, worth about $3.50 IMO.

bull....
02-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Overvalued that's why, worth about $3.50 IMO.

take it you dont hold now?

winner69
14-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Spark win EPL ....all games live and on demand

Finally I’ll be able to see games lije Fulham v Brighton

bull....
14-08-2018, 09:16 AM
good to see spark establishing themselves as the main point for sport in nz. im thinking they will do the streaming and offer box top stuff to sky and tvnz to reduce costs etc

BlackCross
14-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Very difficult to see them improving on the coverage offered at the moment by BeinSports.

bull....
16-08-2018, 03:30 PM
can it hold above 3.90 been resistance for long time

Jim
16-08-2018, 05:54 PM
can it hold above 3.90 been resistance for long time

Should be able to go higher, Telsta went up 6% at close, profit down 9%

bull....
17-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Should be able to go higher, Telsta went up 6% at close, profit down 9%

looks like it wants to have a go at 4

couta1
17-08-2018, 11:40 AM
looks like it wants to have a go at 4 Price might get a thumping after the result, won't be that great IMO.

Filthy
17-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Price might get a thumping after the result, won't be that great IMO.

yep, reckon you are on the money there

ziggy415
17-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Price might get a thumping after the result, won't be that great IMO.
They also mentioned the divvy may be at risk if they progress, 5g sooner

oldtech
17-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Last hit $4.00 almost at this time in 2016, then rapidly crashed.

I'd be very surprised to see it go above $4.00 for a sustained period of time.

Disc: Holder and employee

Bobdn
20-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Are we at a 10 year high?

couta1
20-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Last hit $4.00 almost at this time in 2016, then rapidly crashed.

I'd be very surprised to see it go above $4.00 for a sustained period of time.

Disc: Holder and employee Just hit $4, your kidding me, that's just nuts, the result will need to be sensational with flashing lights to justify that price.

winner69
20-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Just hit $4, your kidding me, that's just nuts, the result will need to be sensational with flashing lights to justify that price.

Agile mate ...the squads are working wonders

bull....
20-08-2018, 01:06 PM
cheap , cheap ... dividend stocks are very hot at the moment

Jim
20-08-2018, 05:57 PM
cheap , cheap ... dividend stocks are very hot at the moment

I strongly agree

bull....
22-08-2018, 09:27 AM
results in line with the forecasts , still like to see more growth in areas other than mobile.

couta1
22-08-2018, 09:39 AM
results in line with the forecasts , still like to see more growth in areas other than mobile. Very bland result compared to the current share price.

craic
22-08-2018, 10:27 AM
I can never find the relevant dates on these announcements - payout is usually about my birthday, 4th October.

Gringo
22-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Can someone help me figure out SPK dividend paid next month? Bit confused as new shareholder...
Results announcement says 11 + 1.5c = 12.5c (so 25cps for the year). But the Dividend Appendix on NZX says Distribution amount is 14.15cps?? I'm a NZ resident with a small holding of 2,535 shares bought earlier this year. How much cash dividend would I receive on payment day?
Thanks! :)

dobby41
22-08-2018, 10:37 AM
I can never find the relevant dates on these announcements - payout is usually about my birthday, 4th October.

The board declared a final dividend of 12.5 cents per share, made up of an 11 cent ordinary dividend and a 1.5 cent special dividend. The dividend will be paid on Oct. 5 with a record date of Sept. 21, and takes the annual return to 25 cents, or $458 million.

bull....
22-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Can someone help me figure out SPK dividend paid next month? Bit confused as new shareholder...
Results announcement says 11 + 1.5c = 12.5c (so 25cps for the year). But the Dividend Appendix on NZX says Distribution amount is 14.15cps?? I'm a NZ resident with a small holding of 2,535 shares bought earlier this year. How much cash dividend would I receive on payment day?
Thanks! :)

2535 shares
.125 cps
gross div = $440.1
cash in hand = $317 off the top head i think 1.5c is only 75% imputed so might be only a little less than 317

Gringo
22-08-2018, 11:18 AM
2535 shares
.125 cps
gross div = $440.1
cash in hand = $317

Thanks Bull.
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly happens to the difference between gross and cash-in-hand $123.10 in my case?
Why does the SPK Dividend Form page one, say "Distribution Amount" 14.15cps?
Thanks

bull....
22-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks Bull.
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly happens to the difference between gross and cash-in-hand $123.10 in my case?
Why does the SPK Dividend Form page one, say "Distribution Amount" 14.15cps?
Thanks

$123 is the imputation credit and your pay $22 with holding tax as well to ... sorry the cash in hand is $294 i was in a rush so figures are close

Gringo
22-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks Bull. I must study more how all that works.
NZ has a complicated tax system.
Anyway, maybe we should just sell SPK now and buy TLS :p

bull....
22-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Thanks Bull. I must study more how all that works.
NZ has a complicated tax system.
Anyway, maybe we should just sell SPK now and buy TLS :p

haha tls has way more competitive pressures than spk , i rate spk the best in the au/nz sector for my exposure even if they do face pressures as well.

Bobdn
22-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Well, I'm fine with the result even if the market isn't :). Honestly, if they can keep that dividend up, I'll be very happy. I'm recently retired so this along with a handful of other similar shares provide much needed income for me. It's close to 3x what I'd get in a 6 month term deposit.

I probably should have gone for more growth stocks but like most New Zealanders and Australians I tend to be addicted to dividends. Bit of a mistake perhaps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaMCWVE8o14

QOH
22-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm fine with the result even if the market isn't :). Honestly, if they can keep that dividend up, I'll be very happy. I'm recently retired so this along with a handful of other similar shares provide much needed income for me. It's close to 3x what I'd get in a 6 month term deposit.

I probably should have gone for more growth stocks but like most New Zealanders and Australians I tend to be addicted to dividends. Bit of a mistake perhaps...

Totally agree, like you recently retired, and more than happy if SPK can keep paying this dividend.

craic
23-08-2018, 03:10 PM

!'ve been with this for years now as a retiree, 80 plus, and it has served me well. It's a great share to day-trade. I sell om highs and buy back on lows and make enough to provide a few luxuries for our old age. Will cruise to Melbourne via Wellington, Dunedin, Hobart later to arrive for the Melbourne Cup and home by plane and that's already paid for.

Bobdn
23-08-2018, 03:33 PM
!'ve been with this for years now as a retiree, 80 plus, and it has served me well. It's a great share to day-trade. I sell om highs and buy back on lows and make enough to provide a few luxuries for our old age. Will cruise to Melbourne via Wellington, Dunedin, Hobart later to arrive for the Melbourne Cup and home by plane and that's already paid for.

Brilliant. I hope to do some travelling next year. Its my first year of retirement and I'm finding I'm hesitant to spend money, even though I have it. So I'm going to put in some strict rules to ramp up my spending.

bull....
30-08-2018, 07:13 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-29/viewers-slam-amazon-s-us-open-coverage-in-live-tennis-stumble

Viewers Slam Amazon’s U.S. Open Coverage

winner69
30-08-2018, 08:44 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-29/viewers-slam-amazon-s-us-open-coverage-in-live-tennis-stumble

Viewers Slam Amazon’s U.S. Open Coverage

I wish Spark well with their World Cup coverage ....but probably it’ll all end up in tears

dobby41
30-08-2018, 08:54 AM
I wish Spark well with their World Cup coverage ....but probably it’ll all end up in tears

I gather that you don't have shares if you have so little faith in their ability to learn from others experiance.

winner69
30-08-2018, 09:00 AM
I gather that you don't have shares if you have so little faith in their ability to learn from others experiance.

Yep no sharescp directly but always interested in how our big companies perform .....but a customer and like watching rugby .....and Fulham v Brighton in the EPL ...so want it to work out fine

I take you are a loyal SPK shareholder ......and hoping like hell it works out fine

dobby41
30-08-2018, 09:25 AM
I take you are a loyal SPK shareholder ......and hoping like hell it works out fine

Loyal - no but I do own some (since they gave me a discount).
Employee - yes.

winner69
30-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Loyal - no but I do own some (since they gave me a discount).
Employee - yes.

Is there a Squad working on the WC coverage?

dobby41
30-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Is there a Squad working on the WC coverage?

Obviously Saprk is working on what is needed to bring this to a successful conclusion.
They certainly won't wakeup a week before the start and think "better get onto that".