PDA

View Full Version : Free Charts.

Phaedrus
27-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Here is a comparison of some of the better free charting facilities that are available.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/Chartcf.gif

Suggestions for additions or alterations are encouraged. Big Charts are a bit flakey and sometimes can't find the stock you want.

Lizard
27-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks Phaedrus... I use FT Charts a lot of the time and I hadn't even noticed that they had the ability to draw trend-lines. Had to go back and look!

whirly
28-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Phaedrus, heres a few thoughts -

I use Incredible Charts and its yes to all the above and way more.

Another important column might be Data Delay or whatever its called. IC is eight hours behind I think.

When you download it though you get a 30 day free trial of the premium data service which includes free hourly data and heaps of awesome stock filters. One drawback is you cant apply the screens to NZ data but you can to aussie and us. Even when the trial runs out you can still build your own stock screens from heaps of options and save and share them.

Time Periods and instruments(?) - with IC it has 30 years of aussie data, indexes and sectors, US and World indexes, metals, oil, forex and you can select any time period and zoom in to it.

Support - IC has an educational website, a newsletter and forum.

By far the best free charting software I've found for Aussie AND New Zealand data. I imported the nzx and nzax into watchlists rather than using the search function and its real quick.

Whirly

Aaron
28-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Phaedrus, heres a few thoughts -

I use Incredible Charts and its yes to all the above and way more.

Another important column might be Data Delay or whatever its called. IC is eight hours behind I think.

When you download it though you get a 30 day free trial of the premium data service which includes free hourly data and heaps of awesome stock filters. One drawback is you cant apply the screens to NZ data but you can to aussie and us. Even when the trial runs out you can still build your own stock screens from heaps of options and save and share them.

Time Periods and instruments(?) - with IC it has 30 years of aussie data, indexes and sectors, US and World indexes, metals, oil, forex and you can select any time period and zoom in to it.

Support - IC has an educational website, a newsletter and forum.

By far the best free charting software I've found for Aussie AND New Zealand data. I imported the nzx and nzax into watchlists rather than using the search function and its real quick.

Whirly

My trial period just ended but it is still working. Is the only difference from paying being that the data is a day late. I don't quite understand what you mean re the nzx. Is there a stock code I can use to get the nzx, asx and S&P500 in IC.

whirly
28-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Aaron

Have a look at this thread here. http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?7002-Incredible-charts-NZ-shares&p=262165&highlight=#post262165. Read the whole thread cos it took a few of us to get it right.

The advantage off this is that you have all the NZX and ASX links under a watchlist rather than having to do a yahoo search everytime you want a nz stock.

The differences are the data being delayed and also some of the premium filters not being available. All the most common filters are though and there's plenty of them. In the premium version there are also no adverts.

IC has many indexes available including those you listed. Have a look under your Securities tab.

Colin tells me NZX data and screening will be part of the package within 12 months.

hope that helps. Happy charting.

W.

Aaron
28-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks Whirly

Phaedrus
28-07-2010, 09:12 PM
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/Chartcf2.gif

More sites. More columns. More options.

darksentinel
29-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Excellent thread.

What about Direct Broking?
Has: NZ stocks, AUS stocks, Lin/Log, Intraday (login required), Time delay: 0 (login required)
Does not have: Trendlines, OBV, Vol +/-, Variable DMI, Variable RSI, Variable Stoch.

Other useful columns to look at including: Variable MA, Stock comparison, Index comparison.

Lizard
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Big Charts (http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/interchart/interchart.asp?symb=NZ%3Afbu&insttype=&time=8&freq=1) have recently made some big improvements to their site. NZ stocks now also much easier to get charts for. Worth checking out for those using freebies.

Voltaire
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Big Charts (http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/interchart/interchart.asp?symb=NZ%3Afbu&insttype=&time=8&freq=1) have recently made some big improvements to their site. NZ stocks now also much easier to get charts for. Worth checking out for those using freebies.

Agreed, though there has also been some loss of functionality. For instance, it used to be possible in the advanced charts to plot multiple EMA's of one's own choosing (by entering comma separated values). This option has now gone - the best one can manage is to choose "EMA (3-line)" but these will be fixed multiples (2x and 3x) of the value entered.

I've emailed them to alert them to this and received a reply saying they will look at it (so any similar feedback obviously wouldn't hurt). The ease of charting NZ stocks is a great improvement (there was previously a coding bug that demanded a tedious workaround).

Phaedrus
06-03-2011, 09:44 PM
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/Chartscf.gif

Thanks Liz. BigCharts RSI can now be set from 9 - 30 and their Stochastic up to only 21 days BUT they now have Williams'%R variable from 2 - 200 days and this is essentially the same indicator as the Slow Stochastic which I often use.

Voltaire
09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Agreed, though there has also been some loss of functionality. For instance, it used to be possible in the advanced charts to plot multiple EMA's of one's own choosing (by entering comma separated values). This option has now gone - the best one can manage is to choose "EMA (3-line)" but these will be fixed multiples (2x and 3x) of the value entered.

I've emailed them to alert them to this and received a reply saying they will look at it (so any similar feedback obviously wouldn't hurt). The ease of charting NZ stocks is a great improvement (there was previously a coding bug that demanded a tedious workaround).

The multiple EMA functionality has been restored. Courteous replies to my emails and great service.

kizame
09-12-2013, 09:24 AM
And Stockcharts.com but havn't worked out if or how to get NZ stocks,but the site has some wonderful tools.
I'm finding the data through yahoo for Incredible Charts pretty frustrating,currently they are a week behind,have sent them an email requesting NZ data (IC)but only did that a few minutes ago.
if they had NZ data through their own site,problem solved and I would pay to use it.

whirly
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Kizame I've been requesting NZ data from Incredible Charts for years, I don't think it's gonna happen.

kizame
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Kizame I've been requesting NZ data from Incredible Charts for years, I don't think it's gonna happen.

nah got the email back that it isn't worth it to them,i need to find reliable free charts or I'll pay if they are good charts with up to date data.

does anyone know how to get NZ stocks on stockcharts.com?

Trigger
04-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Have just been trying to download the trial period for Incredible Charts to Mac...not straightforward, at least for me. This included a download of Wine so that IC could run. The process seemed to want to skip past some of the steps laid out in the instructions provided on the IC website. Has anyone else run into problems with this historically? Alternatively, can anybody recommend alternative data download and charting apps which might fit the bill? Many thanks.

Trigger
05-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Cheers for that Karlos. Will have a look at BC.

milt1968
12-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Had the same problem Trigger just gave up in the end. BigCharts.com is fine for me

Lizard
14-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Still like FT charts (interactive), but need to use XXX:NZC as the format for NZ stock tickers.

Trigger
18-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Have had a play with both BigCharts and FT Charts, and am going to box on with the latter for now. Just found them easier to navigate around in, and the options more straightforward to utilise. Leaves my historical approach for dead. Thanks for the feedback Milt/Lizard.