PDA

View Full Version : IFT - Infratil

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

mike2020
06-06-2024, 10:08 AM
IFT have a new state of the art imaging set up in Whanarei. People used to either travel to Auckland or actually not bother going which was a sad state of affairs.

Toddy
06-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Stock rerating underway.

Shareholder roadshows are in full swing.

mike2020
06-06-2024, 01:37 PM
I attended one. They answered all questions well enough for me. Fisher funds provide better refreshments. I see that as a positive for IFT. All business and very available on a one to one basis. A lot of growth projected and I expect 12 months from now they will be presenting a different picture.

Ggcc
06-06-2024, 04:13 PM
I do believe we have another ATH!!!

It's running up very fast on no news. We may get a please explain why

Toddy
06-06-2024, 07:00 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ByFTrIAyM#bottom-sheet

Hopefully the link works.
Sharesies interview with Jason Boyes

tim23
06-06-2024, 07:07 PM

Market digesting recent result that’s all.

LaserEyeKiwi
07-06-2024, 12:15 AM

Listened to the sharsies interview, which may be what drove up the share price today by the sharesies crowd.

Was jsut a few percent away from breaking $10 Billion market cap today, before that heavy profit taking near the close.

Bjauck
07-06-2024, 11:11 AM
Market digesting recent result that’s all.The SP was $11.25 on 20 May. I was surprised then that it shortly went back under $11. Maybe this break out will be sustained. I think the results were good enough for that.

I would like Infratil to favour the renewables and data centre strategy as opposed to more investment in airports. In my opinion, With airports there are greater macro risks including carbon policy affecting long haul holiday flights, the risk from more epidemics etc.

LaserEyeKiwi
07-06-2024, 11:57 AM
The SP was $11.25 on 20 May. I was surprised then that it shortly went back under $11. Maybe this break out will be sustained. I think the results were good enough for that.

I would like Infratil to favour the renewables and data centre strategy as opposed to more investment in airports. In my opinion, With airports there are greater macro risks including carbon policy affecting long haul holiday flights, the risk from more epidemics etc.

I don’t think they are planning on any more airport investments, outside of probably buying the wellington Council share of Wellington airport (obviously owning 100% of Welly airport is far better when considering ways to realize gains/exit that investment).

Bjauck
07-06-2024, 02:00 PM
I don’t think they are planning on any more airport investments, outside of probably buying the wellington Council share of Wellington airport (obviously owning 100% of Welly airport is far better when considering ways to realize gains/exit that investment). I would be happy if Infratil and the Council put WIA up as an IPO, asap.

AIA’s SP is at a reasonable level now.

LaserEyeKiwi
08-06-2024, 05:28 PM
I would be happy if Infratil and the Council put WIA up as an IPO, asap.

AIA’s SP is at a reasonable level now.

Personally I would prefer them to wait until interest/cap rates have improved to get a better valuation in any sale or IPO. Plus the airport is in a heavy capex phase in the year ahead so at present wont be that enticing to a buyer from a cashflow generation perspective.

winner69
16-06-2024, 02:29 PM
See Newfield from Morrison on that jaunt to Japan with the PM

pierre
17-06-2024, 12:28 AM
If they ever get there! That clapped out Air Force 757 has let the side down again. Stranded in PNG, so an Air NZ flight to Japan is being diverted to pick up the NZ delegation. Another major embarassment for NZ!
Time to stump up for a decent plane or just fly commercial for these events.

kiora
17-06-2024, 06:31 AM

Thanks W 69
https://morrisonglobal.com/news/paul-newfield-joins-nz-prime-ministers-mission-to-southeast-asia/

Interesting Interview

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300812373/ceo-paul-newfields-journey-from-backpacker-philosophy-to-global-infrastructure

Toddy
17-06-2024, 08:37 AM
Cap raise. Uggh.

Balance
17-06-2024, 08:50 AM
Cap raise. Uggh.

Right thing to do when institutional support is very strong. Which is what happens when a company consistently delivers.

Bjauck
17-06-2024, 08:52 AM
Cap raise. Uggh. A Billion dollar placement at $10.15. Quite a discount. Kiwi companies seem to like to undermine their shareholders.

Toddy
17-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Yes, it's all positive with very large returns coming from data centres . It's just bad timing for me having to find the capital.

LaserEyeKiwi
17-06-2024, 09:44 AM
Crikey!

Really going deep on CDC.

reducing gearing to 11%.

stoploss
17-06-2024, 10:42 AM
A Billion dollar placement at $10.15. Quite a discount. Kiwi companies seem to like to undermine their shareholders.
from the shareholder letter ....
"The Retail Offer will give Eligible Shareholders in New Zealand and Australia the opportunity to apply for up to a maximum ofNZ$150,000 and A$45,000, respectively, worth of new shares in Infratil on and in accordance with the Terms and Conditions in
the Retail Offer Document, without incurring brokerage or other transaction costs. Participation in the Retail Offer is optional and
is structured to enable a vast majority of Infratil's Eligible Shareholders to apply for their equivalent pro-rata amount, or greater,
if they wish to participate."

kiora
17-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Hmmm
Need to tap the OD facility.It was getting a bit stales as I haven't needed it for a while :)

huxley
17-06-2024, 11:11 AM
Pretty annoying that they don’t just make these public broadcasts..

https://business.scoop.co.nz/2024/06/17/infratil-conference-call-date-is-17june-2024/

Bjauck
17-06-2024, 11:13 AM
from the shareholder letter ....
"The Retail Offer will give Eligible Shareholders in New Zealand and Australia the opportunity to apply for up to a maximum ofNZ$150,000 and A$45,000, respectively, worth of new shares in Infratil on and in accordance with the Terms and Conditions in
the Retail Offer Document, without incurring brokerage or other transaction costs. Participation in the Retail Offer is optional and
is structured to enable a vast majority of Infratil's Eligible Shareholders to apply for their equivalent pro-rata amount, or greater,
if they wish to participate."
The retail offer is for $150,000,000; The placement is for $1,000,000,000. So non-shareholders have the ability to take part in the much larger placement. Why not have a renounceable rights issue. Maybe a bit of extra cost, but more transparently fair for existing shareholders, especially for individual retail holders, who may not have the time, resources or stockbroker relationship to jump in on the placement - or rights.

I think the expansion of CDC is good investment, what with cloud data storage and AI growth.

GTM 3442
17-06-2024, 11:14 AM
If they ever get there! That clapped out Air Force 757 has let the side down again. Stranded in PNG, so an Air NZ flight to Japan is being diverted to pick up the NZ delegation. Another major embarassment for NZ!
Time to stump up for a decent plane or just fly commercial for these events.

Based on what he said last year, I thought that Mister Luxon wasn't going to use the RNZAF, but was going to fly commercial anyway.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/national-leader-christopher-luxon-wont-use-ancient-defence-force-planes-will-fly-commercial-instead/2B7TGS643FEDJEL33GIETQZUXM/

PS A couple of US freight/courier companies still run fleets of Boeing 757s - maybe the RNZAF ones could get flogged off for spare parts?

Toddy
17-06-2024, 11:41 AM
The retail offer is for $150,000,000; The placement is for $1,000,000,000. So non-shareholders have the ability to take part in the much larger placement. Why not have a renounceable rights issue. Maybe a bit of extra cost, but more transparently fair for existing shareholders, especially for individual retail holders, who may not have the time, resources or stockbroker relationship to jump in on the placement - or rights.

I think the expansion of CDC is good investment, what with cloud data storage and AI growth.

Agree. I'm a hughe fan of IFT. But I'm left scrambling on this one due to the timing.

There must be something else happening in the background regarding the timing. IFT always have a plan and a number of surprises.

huxley
17-06-2024, 11:47 AM
Maybe in talks with Wellington City Council

Toddy
17-06-2024, 12:46 PM
I'm not expecting a drag on the SP like the Voda deal. This transaction puts IFT into the 10 billion dollar club which opens a number of other doors.

Nor
17-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Will Jarden have these placement shares available? Had a look a little while ago and nothing.

Goose
17-06-2024, 01:28 PM
Will Jarden have these placement shares available? Had a look a little while ago and nothing.

Hey Nor...no, I contacted them earlier and they have confirmed that they are not on the ticket for today's placement.

Nor
17-06-2024, 03:06 PM
Thanks Goose.

Count von Count
17-06-2024, 04:04 PM
Maybe in talks with Wellington City Council

That was my thought. Going through the release, I recall reading that only half of it was for the CDC.

That said, it seems more likely to be for other renewable energy projects... possibly to support the CDC, or possibly to expand the solar farms in the US.

ratkin
17-06-2024, 04:13 PM
What sort of scaling are we expecting on these? Normally end up with a fraction of what I ask for.

Toddy
17-06-2024, 06:07 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/the-market-implications-of-infratils-115b-capital-raise/EXR45LM7EFFEHPX2NQXTTS4BUQ/

Paywalled. Exciting times ahead. And will push IFT into global indices. So very different to the Voda raise.

kiora
17-06-2024, 07:35 PM
"CDC is positioned for growth"

https://infratil.com/news/infratil-announces-nz1150-million-equity-raising/infratil-investor-presentation-nz1150-million-equity-raise/

Southern Lad
17-06-2024, 08:30 PM
What sort of scaling are we expecting on these? Normally end up with a fraction of what I ask for.

Presentation advises that total new shares expected to be 13.5% of current issued capital, and that they will try their best to issue shares to retail holders for their pro rata share of the new shares issued. Assuming share price holds up when trading halt lifted, then suggest applying at this level (135 additional shares per 1,000 currently held). Little point in applying for more unless share price tanks over the next couple of weeks.

Count von Count
18-06-2024, 09:09 AM
That was my thought. Going through the release, I recall reading that only half of it was for the CDC.

That said, it seems more likely to be for other renewable energy projects... possibly to support the CDC, or possibly to expand the solar farms in the US.

From the Investor Statement:

Proceeds to fund accelerated growth of CDC, and provide additional balance sheet flexibility to allow Infratil to continue to invest across its portfolio

Jenny Ruth
18-06-2024, 09:09 AM
Hi. If you're interested in my take of Infratil's plans for CDC, you can find it here: https://justthebusinessjennyruth.substack.com/

Toddy
18-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Little NZX has pumped out 750k shares already on its own this morning.

Let's see what happens when the big boys join the action when the ASX opens.

huxley
18-06-2024, 12:05 PM
Shares trading well above the placement price :)

Bjauck
18-06-2024, 01:19 PM
Little NZX has pumped out 750k shares already on its own this morning.

Let's see what happens when the big boys join the action when the ASX opens. With the current share price that indicates good buyer demand. Also, those flippers who bought into the placement have got a good quick profit too.

Toddy
18-06-2024, 01:34 PM
I really respect the market for driving the price to back to under 11 dollars last week to get this deal away at NZ$10.15 per share.

Snow Leopard
18-06-2024, 02:20 PM
I really respect the market for driving the price to back to under 11 dollars last week to get this deal away at NZ$10.15 per share.

SP been up and down like a gooseberry in a lift recently.

Sold some other stock last week so that I had cash at hand for any opportunity that presented itself and then IFT go and take it. :ohmy:

Toddy
18-06-2024, 02:32 PM
SP been up and down like a gooseberry in a lift recently.

Sold some other stock last week so that I had cash at hand for any opportunity that presented itself and then IFT go and take it. :ohmy:

Well, it's an easier conversation with the wife when she notices 48k missing from the kids Uni bank account funds on the 8th.

Goose
18-06-2024, 02:34 PM
Was anyone able to get in on the Placement action? It looked to me that this was confined to institutional investors (perhaps unless you are a client of UBS) - I'd be interested to know if that wasn't the case. I shall be participating in the Retail Offer.

mike2020
18-06-2024, 03:29 PM
Is there an entitlement date? Holding at date of announcement? I haven't read it through. No surprise after the exponential growth they indicated at the roadshow. I really don't see dilution as in issue given all new capital will aid growth. Probably being a little simplistic.
I was just thinking anyone not holding might want to get in for the cheaper shares you can apply for.

maclir
18-06-2024, 03:53 PM
Is there an entitlement date? Holding at date of announcement? I haven't read it through. No surprise after the exponential growth they indicated at the roadshow. I really don't see dilution as in issue given all new capital will aid growth. Probably being a little simplistic.
I was just thinking anyone not holding might want to get in for the cheaper shares you can apply for.

9pm last Friday.

LaserEyeKiwi
18-06-2024, 04:08 PM

It is a little bit dilutive considering the capital coming in was priced at a fairly large discount to the share price, and from an EPS perspective there is also dilution as there is no change to guided annual earnings and that is now spread across a significantly larger amount of shares.

However if one feels the share price is significantly undervalued already, and that growth will be fairly strong, then its not that big of a deal.

kiora
18-06-2024, 05:28 PM
It looks like some institutions where not able to get in on the placement & the others must have been scaled back & now bidding for more?

mshierlaw
18-06-2024, 05:40 PM

If you are current holder you should have an email from link market services. Condition in the email is that you can't forward the document so please don't ask. The offer document will be available on the IFT website on Thursday 20th June.

I have just bought some IFT 350 bonds so not sure I want any more exposure here, I did grab my entitlement in the last two raises.

kiora
18-06-2024, 06:00 PM
Will there be scaling in " NZ$150 million non-underwritten retail offer"?
That implies around 14,778,325 shares for retail offer if it is to raise the $150,000,000?

BUT 837,274,000 shares on issue before capital raise?
If the "entitlement" is as Southern Lad says is 13% to keep pro rata shareholding?
That would be 108,845,620 shares raising $1,099,334,000 if shareholders were to keep it pro rata?

But this could be a problem?
" NZ$150 million non-underwritten retail offer, with the ability to accept oversubscriptions at Infratil’s complete discretion ("Retail Offer")"

So it will need heavy scaling OR accept oversubscriptions of xxxxxx

Question:Was there a need for the placement to be underwritten?

Toddy
18-06-2024, 06:15 PM
As per last capital raise. Shareholders will be allocated their entitlement with intentions to keep the same percentage holding.

However, there is a max amount of $48,000 Nzd per shareholder.

Entrep
18-06-2024, 06:18 PM
Incredible showing... compared to say HGH cap raise for example.

Toddy
18-06-2024, 06:20 PM
Incredible showing... compared to say HGH cap raise for example.

Also driven by the 10 billion dollar club index.

maclir
18-06-2024, 07:03 PM
As per last capital raise. Shareholders will be allocated their entitlement with intentions to keep the same percentage holding.

However, there is a max amount of $48,000 Nzd per shareholder.

Where do you get 48k from?

Toddy
18-06-2024, 07:27 PM
Where do you get 48k from?

45K AUD. Was on the Infratil email sent just after the offer was released to the market.

warthog
18-06-2024, 07:33 PM
If you are current holder you should have an email from link market services. Condition in the email is that you can't forward the document so please don't ask. The offer document will be available on the IFT website on Thursday 20th June.

The important points from the email to IFT holders:

Further details regarding the Retail Offer, including how to apply, are set out in the Retail Offer Document, which will be made available on Thursday, 20 June 2024 at www.infratilshareoffer.com

The Retail Offer is subject to the terms and conditions included in the Retail Offer Document. Eligible Shareholders are encouraged to read the document carefully, and if in any doubt about whether or not to apply for shares under the Retail Offer, to consult with a financial or other professional advisor.

Eligible shareholders wishing to participate will be able to apply online at www.infratilshareoffer.com from Thursday, 20 June 2024 until 5:00pm (NZST) / 3:00pm (AEST) on Monday, 8 July 2024.

Ggcc
18-06-2024, 07:37 PM
It looks like some institutions where not able to get in on the placement & the others must have been scaled back & now bidding for more?
Who knows maybe Blackpeter got on board. I hope so for him.

maclir
18-06-2024, 07:46 PM
45K AUD. Was on the Infratil email sent just after the offer was released to the market.

150k for Kiwis

Valuegrowth
18-06-2024, 07:52 PM

However, there is a max amount of $48,000 Nzd per shareholder. Will it affect existing shareholders? I mean by way of share dilution. Thanks.

Toddy
18-06-2024, 07:59 PM
150k for Kiwis

I stand corrected. 150k.

Toddy
18-06-2024, 08:01 PM
Will it affect existing shareholders? I mean by way of share dilution. Thanks.

Only if you were going to be up for more than 150k. Otherwise they will give you your full entitlement.

warthog
18-06-2024, 08:50 PM
New shares are issued so yes it will dilute. If you hold IFT and generally approve of the capital raise, you might consider taking up your full allocation of new shares to maintain your ownership as a percentage of all shares outstanding.

mike2020
19-06-2024, 08:44 AM
I still think dilution is probably going to be a fallacy here. The overall growth they should achieve from this wont see your existing shares devalue. Opposite I expect. EPS maybe a short term dip.
Also they seemed excited by Wellington council exiting the airport. They could be buyers or part of a bigger sale. It opened up options. Plus they really seem to like the asset either way.

huxley
19-06-2024, 08:49 AM
I would be surprised if they don’t buy the airport, they pay dividends, interest and Morrison fees in NZD, just makes sense to buy an asset they already know very well

Toddy
19-06-2024, 09:00 AM
I would be surprised if they don’t buy the airport, they pay dividends, interest and Morrison fees in NZD, just makes sense to buy an asset they already know very well

Agree.

Now my 12 year old is armed with the information (and a spreadsheet) to explain to his mother why his education fund should be invested into discounted IFT shares. He is all over it.
The second lesson will be all about when to pick the correct timing to have the discussion.

maclir
19-06-2024, 09:02 AM
As a Wellingtonian I like the idea of IFT owning the airport, as it roots them in the city a little more than would otherwise be the case, but it is a very small part of the portfolio. They were unsurprisingly asked at the recent roadshow if they would be looking to buy the council's share, and whilst you can't read much into the response's lack of enthusiasm, they hold all the aces vs the Council and the price would need to be very attractive. What price a runway extension...

Toddy
19-06-2024, 09:06 AM
I thought they had gone cold on a runway extension and were going down the route of better planes and technology to eventually meet the requirements for a population the size of Wellington.

IFT have been very poker faced on this one. Let's just say that Bright and A2 do not have a monopoly on playing a good chess game.

winner69
19-06-2024, 09:07 AM
As a Wellingtonian I like the idea of IFT owning the airport, as it roots them in the city a little more than would otherwise be the case, but it is a very small part of the portfolio. They were unsurprisingly asked at the recent roadshow if they would be looking to buy the council's share, and whilst you can't read much into the response's lack of enthusiasm, they hold all the aces vs the Council and the price would need to be very attractive. What price a runway extension...

Needs a new bigger seawall first before it floats away

Ggcc
19-06-2024, 09:26 AM

Spoke to one of the guys at road show and they mentioned that the extension would most likely never happen. Really interested how open minded they were to any questions given.

Valuegrowth
19-06-2024, 09:42 AM
New shares are issued so yes it will dilute. If you hold IFT and generally approve of the capital raise, you might consider taking up your full allocation of new shares to maintain your ownership as a percentage of all shares outstanding.Thank you warthog.

maclir
19-06-2024, 09:45 AM
I thought they had gone cold on a runway extension and were going down the route of better planes and technology to eventually meet the requirements for a population the size of Wellington.

IFT have been very poker faced on this one. Let's just say that Bright and A2 do not have a monopoly on playing a good chess game.

Yes, you're right. I guess the point I was trying to make is that you want to have a good relationship with the local authority, and that's the only baragaining chip the council has in getting the best price it can from IFT, who have no need to own 100% of the airport.

maclir
19-06-2024, 09:47 AM
Needs a new bigger seawall first before it floats away

Current state of play, following consultation https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/news/airport-projects/renewing-our-sea-defences/

Bjauck
19-06-2024, 09:50 AM
Agree.

Now my 12 year old is armed with the information (and a spreadsheet) to explain to his mother why his education fund should be invested into discounted IFT shares. He is all over it.
The second lesson will be all about when to pick the correct timing to have the discussion. Great lessons. We need more Toddy Juniors!

Bjauck
19-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Needs a new bigger seawall first before it floats away Former poster BlackPeter used to bang on about AIA being a dubious long term investment with rising sea levels inundating the runway and land!

Santiago
19-06-2024, 10:02 AM
Just catching up with things. Keen to understand whether via the retail offer they will just grant a pro rata amount to enable holders to maintain percentage, or is there a chance they’d allow up to $150k regardless of current holding? Interested in views of seasoned experts here!

LaserEyeKiwi
19-06-2024, 10:10 AM
Spoke to one of the guys at road show and they mentioned that the extension would most likely never happen. Really interested how open minded they were to any questions given.

Main issue is the pilots association along with regulators were highly likely to follow through with the result that the runway extension would not have been able to take any larger/longer distance planes. The main reasoning being that the current runway has a special exemption for being so short due to geographic constraints, and as such does not have the standard safety distances. So if the runway got extended, all the extra runway length would see the special exemption removed and the extra tarmac would simply be the standard safety buffer.

So any investment in a longer runway would result in a safety increase, but no extra larger/longer range capability or revenue generation - which makes it a dead on arrival proposal as a commercial proposition. The only way it would happen under that scenario is if the airport was notified that it would lose its special exemption at a specified point in future, and so would be forced to extend the runway simply to maintain its current capabilities.

Figners crossed the Boom Overture (new supersonic airliner) can land on a short runway, it’s long, but very light. Wouldn’t give too much in way of extra further distance locations to fly too (could do WLG to Hawaii, but not sure wellington market would support that), but can do any South Pacific/Australian east coast destination in a significantly shorter flight time (for those willing to pay extra). As a Wellingtonian, I would be annoyed if that ended up being restricted to Auckland & Christchurch.

https://boomsupersonic.com/overture

Bjauck
19-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Back to the future. Concorde was a beauty. Americans initially tried to stop it landing in New York, ostensibly because it was so noisy when taking off and landing and ascending. However a major reason was probably probably because British Airways (and not an American airline) was operating it. NZ is not so concerned about airline noise impinging on residents. There are plenty of nighttime flights over Auckland already. Population growth means flight paths are now over residential areas.

maclir
19-06-2024, 11:04 AM
Back to the future. Concorde was a beauty. Americans initially tried to stop it landing in New York, ostensibly because it was so noisy when taking off and landing and ascending. However a major reason was probably probably because British Airways (and not an American airline) was operating it. NZ is not so concerned about airline noise impinging on residents. There are plenty of nighttime flights over Auckland already. Population growth means flight paths are now over residential areas.

Concorde's seats weren't made for American obesity, economy sized seats for first class price

Bjauck
19-06-2024, 12:44 PM
Concorde's seats weren't made for American obesity, economy sized seats for first class price
I have heard it called the toothpaste tube! From the publicity, Boom overture sounds more luxurious. A bit of an unfortunate name I think.

Snow Leopard
19-06-2024, 02:18 PM
Just catching up with things. Keen to understand whether via the retail offer they will just grant a pro rata amount to enable holders to maintain percentage, or is there a chance they’d allow up to $150k regardless of current holding? Interested in views of seasoned experts here!

As I understand it at the moment, the retail offer is sized such that if small holders apply for a pro-rata amount (of approx 135 new shares per existing 1,000 ), subject to the NZD150K or AUD45K limits, then that can be achieved.

If you apply for more then you may get more depending upon the take-up rate.

Tomorrow may give more info and all will be revealed on allotment date.

Santiago
19-06-2024, 03:52 PM
As I understand it at the moment, the retail offer is sized such that if small holders apply for a pro-rata amount (of approx 135 new shares per existing 1,000 ), subject to the NZD150K or AUD45K limits, then that can be achieved.

If you apply for more then you may get more depending upon the take-up rate.

Tomorrow may give more info and all will be revealed on allotment date.

Yep, makes sense. Many thanks for the response. I’d love to get more…

ratkin
20-06-2024, 10:07 AM
Has everyone else not received a validation number yet?

Toddy
20-06-2024, 10:08 AM
Haven't received anything yet.

20-06-2024, 10:10 AM
Give them a chance.

maclir
20-06-2024, 11:22 AM
Just got mine. Validation code that is. Will be participating, once DRP goes through next week.

Toddy
20-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Yes, I have now received the email. Now I need to work out the most cost effective way for funding.

I can think clearly on the tractor mulching in the beautiful sun here in the Bay today. The mighty Chiefs also bring a smile.

20-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Just got mine. Validation code that is. Will be participating, once DRP goes through next week.

The DRP shares next week won't make any difference to your entitlement if that is what you thinking.

maclir
20-06-2024, 12:28 PM
The DRP shares next week won't make any difference to your entitlement if that is what you thinking.

So my entitlement will not be based on the shares I hold post-DRP, but those I held prior to that?

huxley
20-06-2024, 12:50 PM
The record date was Friday, 14 June 2024? So that should mean it’s be based on the number of shares held on that date (is my understanding of the situation).

warthog
20-06-2024, 01:01 PM
This is correct.

warthog
20-06-2024, 01:02 PM
Haven't received anything yet.

Check spam.

Sent out in batches.

Hog received email around 11AM.

Ggcc
21-06-2024, 08:15 AM
Ordered my full entitlements. I feel this is the best (safest investment) company on the NZX currently, but please DYOR

warthog
21-06-2024, 09:24 AM
Ordered my full entitlements. I feel this is the best (safest investment) company on the NZX currently, but please DYOR

Some will no doubt be applying for more than their entitlement on the basis that some will either be disinclined or unable to contribute capital at this point, with the additional shares issued at a discount to market price.

Bjauck
21-06-2024, 09:38 AM
Some will no doubt be applying for more than their entitlement on the basis that some will either be disinclined or unable to contribute capital at this point, with the additional shares issued at a discount to market price.
Infratil is already my largest holding by far now. I will be applying for less than half of my entitlement - Probably substantially less.

I regard IFT as multi-faceted infrastructure investment company - Hence more comfortable being overweight.

RGR367
21-06-2024, 09:59 AM
Sold a bundle yesterday to take advantage of almost a dollar difference from the capital raise asking price. I will unload more if sp goes higher today.

disc: holder since 2015 with an overall acquisition price now of less than 150 :t_up:

Bjauck
21-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Sold a bundle yesterday to take advantage of almost a dollar difference from the capital raise asking price. I will unload more if sp goes higher today.

disc: holder since 2015 with an overall acquisition price now of less than 150 :t_up: Would that complicate your tax position? Unless you are already a short term trader?

RGR367
21-06-2024, 03:57 PM
Would that complicate your tax position? Unless you are already a short term trader?

I don't think so as I dispose stocks when I think I benefited well enough on them and it's not very often I do that especially on IFT. I think consider myself a long term investor/holder re my portfolio of shares.

mshierlaw
21-06-2024, 04:11 PM
Infratil is already my largest holding by far now. I will be applying for less than half of my entitlement - Probably substantially less.

I regard IFT as multi-faceted infrastructure investment company - Hence more comfortable being overweight.

IFT is also my largest holding, thought the same way about not applying for all but when I read the offer document thru I have decided to apply for my full entitlement.

As you have to front up with the $$$$$ when you apply I shall wait till interest has been paid on those funds at the end of the month.

Toddy
21-06-2024, 05:02 PM
Down 4.8 percent on close. Not sure what to make of it.

Ggcc
21-06-2024, 05:10 PM
Down 4.8 percent on close. Not sure what to make of it.

Loads of shares dropped on close. MSCI index I think

Snoopy
21-06-2024, 06:15 PM
"CDC is positioned for growth"

https://infratil.com/news/infratil-announces-nz1150-million-equity-raising/infratil-investor-presentation-nz1150-million-equity-raise/

Slide 23 of this presentation contains a series of PIE graphs, the last, on asset values, showing that fully 31% (Canberra Data Centres, or CDC) and 25% (OneNZ), a total of 56% of all assets held now are held under the broad-brush label of 'telecommunications'. Who would have thought that Infratil is mostly a Telco now? Certainly not me!

I am not an Infratil shareholder. But I am now forced to take an interest, due to the other telecommunications assets that I do hold (principally Spark and Telstra).

I observe that Telstra are up front with co-operative efforts with the big US players, Amazon Web Services
https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/products/cloud/solutions/amazon-aws

And Microsoft Azure
https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/products/cloud/solutions/microsoft-azure

However, there is no information on now Telstra intends to buddy up with Infratil 48% owned CDC. So I have to ask, is Infratil via CDC, really in the strong position that they say they are in?

Next I look at Slide 24 in the presentation. This shows existing data centres targetting an 8-10% return per annum. Data centres under construction targetting a return of 10-15% per annum, with those on the drawing board looking to achieve a return of 15-25% per annum. Why are CDC so confident that their returns will increase with the hyperscale data centres from AWS and Microsoft Azure coming into the picture?

Slide 27 shows rack utilisation rates of 75%, 66% and 83%. However, the footnote says that these numbers include 'white space' and 'reserved'. Apparently, the meaning of 'white space', a term I am not familiar with, is:

"White space in a data center refers to the main operational area where key computing hardware, including servers, storage systems, and networking devices, is housed. This area is considered the data center’s usable space, primarily occupied by IT equipment arranged in hot and cold aisles. Data center white space is usually measured in square feet or square meters."

So, it looks like by including 'white space', CDC is including space where data storage equipment 'could be put', without any commitment from customers for data centre equipment to actually be installed there. By doing this, and including reserved space where customers are committed of utilising data centre space, which is not up and running yet, it looks to me like CDC are grossly exaggerating the real utilisation percentage capacity of their data centres.

I guess 'build it and they will come' 'at ever increasing return rates' is an investment strategy. But this CDC growth plan is giving me a high reading on my BSometer.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
21-06-2024, 07:21 PM
I am not an Infratil shareholder. But I am now forced to take an interest, due to the other telecommunications assets that I do hold (principally Spark and Telstra).

Moving to New Zealand now, CDC officially opened their two NZ data centres, in Silverdale (SD1) and Hobsonville (HV1), in August 2022.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/aucklands-giant-new-data-centres-are-rising-the-staggering-power-theyll-chug/5V5GWXV5UVAFBOUQQMOGLV5JUU/
"For example, Canberra Data Centres (CDC) opened two 14MW hyperscale data centres in Auckland: one in Hobsonville and one in Silverdale, 28MW in total, for what it said was “an initial investment of more than $300 million”. And in January 2023, the firm said it had bought land to add another 12MW of capacity."
"So far, CDC’s twin centres are the largest hyperscale facilities in New Zealand - by default, given that they’re the first to build here in the supermassive hyperscale class - but competition is on the way."

"A $400m hyperscale data centre being built by Sydney-based DCI Data Centres at a 5.8-hectare site in Albany, bought for $66m from the Knight family, (who once wholesaled to garden centres). Ground was broken late last year (2022)".

Meanwhile what are Spark doing with their data centres?

---------------------

From Co-pilot AI with GPT-4 in Bing.
"Spark New Zealand has been actively investing in data centers as part of its three-year strategy. Here are some key points about their data center capacity:"

Takanini Data Center:

Spark completed a 10 MW expansion of its Takanini data center in August 2023. The Takanini facility utilizes a high-density contained aisle design, allowing for scalability up to and beyond 10 kW per rack, with maximum rack loads of up to 28 kW.

Overall Data Center Capacity:

Spark’s total data centre built capacity is expected to reach 22 MW in the current financial year (FY2024). They also have land held in existing sites for an additional 19 MW of capacity available for further development.

Market Position and Strategy:

Despite economic challenges, Spark has made solid progress implementing its strategy, including investments in data centers and 5G Standalone infrastructure. With the exponential growth in data, digitization, cloud adoption, and generative AI, demand for data center capacity is accelerating, and Spark aims to capture its share of this growing market.

---------------------

This means it looks like Spark, as of now, is operating at a very similar capacity to CDC, particularly when you take into account Spark's much higher capacity utilisation rate.

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?9630-SPK-Spark-NZ-(TELCO)&p=1047453&viewfull=1#post1047453
"88% of total Spark data centre capacity is already committed under contract,"

https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/1294575/spark-targets-data-centres-ai-as-three-year-strategy-ends.html
"Spark, which reported its 2023 results in August, already operated the country’s most extensive network of customer data centres across 16 sites, with the ability to add additional capacity."

Next, there is a Microsoft Azure data centre under construction in Auckland, of unknown capacity, which was scheduled to go 'online' late in 2023.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/aucklands-giant-new-data-centres-are-rising-the-staggering-power-theyll-chug/5V5GWXV5UVAFBOUQQMOGLV5JUU/
"Microsoft hasn’t put a price tag on the build, or detailed its specifications, other than to note that it’s above the Overseas Investment Office’s $100m threshold for approval. Anchor customers will include Fonterra, ASB, BNZ (which is taking the opportunity to move some 1000 apps to the cloud), ACC and Auckland Transport. The transport agency says the development will trim $2.5 million from its $50m per year IT budget and make it easier to add artificial intelligence capability to apps."

The 'Canberra Data Centre' has the inside running on many of the government databases in the Federal Capital of Australia. But do they have the same inside running here in NZ? I am not seeing it, although perhaps it is just that CDC are less 'shouty' about their specific achievements in NZ than Spark or Micrsoft?

SNOOPY

Bjauck
21-06-2024, 07:29 PM
IFT is also my largest holding, thought the same way about not applying for all but when I read the offer document thru I have decided to apply for my full entitlement.

As you have to front up with the $$$$$ when you apply I shall wait till interest has been paid on those funds at the end of the month. It was certainly a good read! They do seem really positive on CDC’s potential. Half of my entitlement is fine. I am happy for other retail holders to have the rest if they want! I have been a holder since the float in the mid 1990’s (one of my first holdings.) So they have tapped me for quite a bit of funding over the years. It hasn’t all been plain sailing though.

Bjauck
21-06-2024, 07:32 PM
Loads of shares dropped on close. MSCI index I think Friday night frights!

maclir
21-06-2024, 10:04 PM
Slide 23 of this presentation contains a series of PIE graphs, the last, on asset values, showing that fully 31% (Canberra Data Centres, or CDC) and 25% (OneNZ), a total of 56% of all assets held now are held under the broad-brush label of 'telecommunications'. Who would have thought that Infratil is mostly a Telco now? Certainly not me!

I observe that Telstra are up front with co-operative efforts with the big US players, Amazon Web Services
https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/products/cloud/solutions/amazon-aws

And Microsoft Azure
https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/products/cloud/solutions/microsoft-azure

However, there is no information on now Telstra intends to buddy up with Infratil 48% owned CDC. So I have to ask, is Infratil via CDC, really in the strong position that they say they are in?

Next I look at Slide 24 in the presentation. This shows existing data centres targetting an 8-10% return per annum. Data centres under construction targetting a return of 10-15% per annum, with those on the drawing board looking to achieve a return of 15-25% per annum. Why are CDC so confident that their returns will increase with the hyperscale data centres from AWS and Microsoft Azure coming into the picture?

Slide 27 shows rack utilisation rates of 75%, 66% and 83%. However, the footnote says that these numbers include 'white space' and 'reserved'. Apparently, the meaning of 'white space', a term I am not familiar with, is:

"White space in a data center refers to the main operational area where key computing hardware, including servers, storage systems, and networking devices, is housed. This area is considered the data center’s usable space, primarily occupied by IT equipment arranged in hot and cold aisles. Data center white space is usually measured in square feet or square meters."

So, it looks like by including 'white space', CDC is including space where data storage equipment 'could be put', without any commitment from customers for data centre equipment to actually be installed there. By doing this, and including reserved space where customers are committed of utilising data centre space, which is not up and running yet, it looks to me like CDC are grossly exaggerating the real utilisation percentage capacity of their data centres.

I guess 'build it and they will come' 'at ever increasing return rates' is an investment strategy. But this CDC growth plan is giving me a high reading on my BSometer.

SNOOPY

You haven't read the document correctly. The 8-10% return is what Infratil targets for the 'core' business elements of its portfolio, this is not where the data centre business sits, you need to look at the next two categories Core Plus and Development and Growth.

Snoopy
21-06-2024, 10:25 PM
You haven't read the document correctly. The 8-10% return is what Infratil targets for the 'core' business elements of its portfolio, this is not where the data centre business sits, you need to look at the next two categories Core Plus and Development and Growth.

Have a look at Slide 27 in the presentation maclir. This clearly shows elements of the data centre business in each of 'Core', 'Core Plus' and 'Development & Growth'. This suggests the data centre business is in all three operational categories, depending on the maturity of the particular data centre business unit in question.

SNOOPY

huxley
22-06-2024, 06:17 AM
Just for fun, I asked a LLM:

What makes CDC data centers unique and what is stopping a competitor from replicating their business model?

CDC Data Centres stand out for several reasons:
Sovereign and Secure: CDC centers are highly secure and connected large-scale data centers across Australia and New Zealand. They prioritize security, ensuring that critical data remains protected.

Critical Infrastructure: Founded in 2007, CDC provides essential digital infrastructure that underpins security, social well-being, and economic progress in the region.

Agility and Growth: CDC has expanded through new campuses and increased capacity on existing ones, adapting to changing needs.

As for competitors replicating their model, a few factors might hinder them:

Expertise: CDC’s experience and expertise in data center development and operation are hard to replicate quickly.

Trust and Reputation: CDC’s track record with government and critical organizations builds trust, making it a preferred choice.

Geo-Connectivity: CDC’s interconnected campuses via redundant high-speed networks provide continuity for businesses.

However, competitors could still enter the market by investing in similar infrastructure and building their reputation over time. It’s a dynamic landscape! 😊

mike2020
22-06-2024, 07:52 AM
Snoopy IFT target overall growth at 18% p.a. if I recall from their roadshow. Either that or they have achieved it. I might have been distracted by some very hypnotic graphs.

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 08:01 AM
Just for fun, I asked a LLM:

What makes CDC data centers unique and what is stopping a competitor from replicating their business model?

CDC Data Centres stand out for several reasons:

Sovereign and Secure: CDC centers are highly secure and connected large-scale data centers across Australia and New Zealand. They prioritize security, ensuring that critical data remains protected.
Critical Infrastructure: Founded in 2007, CDC provides essential digital infrastructure that underpins security, social well-being, and economic progress in the region.
Agility and Growth: CDC has expanded through new campuses and increased capacity on existing ones, adapting to changing needs.

As for competitors replicating their model, a few factors might hinder them:

Expertise: CDC’s experience and expertise in data center development and operation are hard to replicate quickly.
Trust and Reputation: CDC’s track record with government and critical organizations builds trust, making it a preferred choice.
Geo-Connectivity: CDC’s interconnected campuses via redundant high-speed networks provide continuity for businesses.
However, competitors could still enter the market by investing in similar infrastructure and building their reputation over time. It’s a dynamic landscape! ��

I presume that in the early days, 'Canberra' Data Centres' had the inside running on various Australian Federal Government contracts. I guess there is something to be said for the Federal government using an 'Australian' outfit for essential infrastructure {despite NZ's Infratil owning nearly 50% of the company these days). Although I see in the growth outlook (slide 13) that once the under construction build program is complete, Canberra will consume 39MW. which will be only 1/10 th of the CDC built total. So, if the Australian Government contracts are no longer the 'bedrock earners' driving this company, I guess it means CDC have been able to upsell to others on their reputation?

CDC are driving themselves towards a 'carbon neutral' future. Having datacentres in NZ will help this. In fact. with the Auckland based facilities being so near the Trans-Tasman undersea data cable, there is nothing to stop the 'Auckland' data centres being primarily used to service Autralian based customers.

On the 'security' point, I don't see a great market for insecure data centres. Although we occasionally hear about data breaches, there doesn't seem to be a 'shame and blame culture' on the unfortunate hacked data centre operator. My guess is that other data centre operators realise they are only one step away from being hacked themselves. So, I am taking this super secure reputation that CDC are keen to promote with a grain of salt.

I don't accept the AI point that data centres are difficult to replicate quickly. AWS and Microsoft Azure have put a lie to that, given their significant build program down under. A track record of success with government and critical organizations will certainly help CDC. But since CDC aren't building a data centre in Wellington, maybe they are not targetting government departments in New Zealand as customers? I am not sure about the 'geo connectivity' advantage point. Is there a high-speed cable connecting Silverdale and Hobsonville? Given they are both in the same broad power supply district, I am unsure of what benefits such a cable might have.

With infrastructure there is usually an 'incumbant advantage'. I am not doubting CDC's business reputation in Australia. But in NZ they just look like 'one of many new boys' on the block. Where is the 'competitive advantage' of CDC's data centres in New Zealand? I am not seeing it.

SNOOPY

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 09:49 AM
Snoopy IFT target overall growth at 18% p.a. if I recall from their roadshow. Either that or they have achieved it. I might have been distracted by some very hypnotic graphs.
I think 15% annual return had been a long-standing aim.

From the capital raising “presentation”: Infratil continues to target portfolio returns of 11-15% per annum (after fees) over a 10-year period and has achieved a total shareholder return of 18.7% since its inception in 1994.

There are certainly lots of photos, pie charts and colourful graphs with arrows pointing upwards! British Airport investments a distant memory?

Ggcc
22-06-2024, 09:49 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/power-problem-data-centre-growth-equivalent-to-demand-from-200000-homes/3UEOXD2YVNC5VG5ZRSQXM56OJI/

Just regarding data centres

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 10:01 AM
I am not sure about the 'geo connectivity' advantage point. Is there a high-speed cable connecting Silverdale and Hobsonville? Given they are both in the same broad power supply district, I am unsure of what benefits such a cable might have.

Further to this, I see from slide 28 there is 'dark fibre connectivity' between Auckland and Sydney. My understanding of dark fibre is that it is up to the customer to put their own equipment on either end of the 'dark fibre' so that they can 'light it up' for their own purposes. My take on Slide 28 is that the dark fibre is actually the Southern Cross Cable and does not refer to anything owned by CDC. Happy to be corrected if I have read this wrongly.

SNOOPY

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 10:05 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/power-problem-data-centre-growth-equivalent-to-demand-from-200000-homes/3UEOXD2YVNC5VG5ZRSQXM56OJI/

Just regarding data centres What with Tiwai Aluminium deals, the power companies should be a good investment? We just need to hope the wind keeps on gusting too.

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 10:24 AM
As it is all about the increase data storage for AI. This is what the AI app on my phone came up with:

CDC Data Centres likely have a competitive advantage due to several factors:

1. **Strategic Location**: They have data centers in key locations across Australia and New Zealand, providing low latency and regional coverage to their clients.

2. **Security and Compliance**: They focus on high-security standards, appealing to government and enterprise clients that require stringent data protection and regulatory compliance.

3. **Scalability and Reliability**: CDC Data Centres offer scalable solutions with high reliability and uptime, which are critical for businesses that depend on continuous data access and operations.

4. **Sustainability**: Their commitment to sustainability, including energy-efficient operations and the use of renewable energy sources, aligns with the increasing corporate emphasis on environmental responsibility.

5. **Client Focus**: They provide tailored solutions and high levels of customer service, fostering strong relationships and client loyalty.

These factors collectively contribute to CDC Data Centres' competitive edge in the data center market.

mike2020
22-06-2024, 10:34 AM

From the capital raising “presentation”: Infratil continues to target portfolio returns of 11-15% per annum (after fees) over a 10-year period and has achieved a total shareholder return of 18.7% since its inception in 1994.

There are certainly lots of photos, pie charts and colourful graphs with arrows pointing upwards! British Airport investments a distant memory?
It was the spiral graphs they liked most and I felt like I needed more time to either grasp it or maybe find the hidden image.

CrustyPlums
22-06-2024, 02:09 PM
Yes that will be it. They don't own an undersea cable. They could have capacity on SX, TGA or Hawaiki cable systems. All have a path between NZ and AU.

Oops sorry, I didn't add the quote from when Snoopy mentioned this a few posts back :)

winner69
22-06-2024, 02:33 PM
Are these data centres power hungry and dependent on surety of supply?

Just that 0z seemed exposed to power generation shortfall from not enough gas production at the moment and NZ power supply always seems at risk.

Is this a risk to IFT operations?

Or do they just build their own generators and become self reliant?

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 03:56 PM

Slide 25 is showing a total shareholder return of 18.7% per year since inception. As the company gets bigger the same percentage increase per year gets harder to achieve. Yet over the last five years, the company has achieved a total shareholder return of 24.6% per annum, which is incredible. The slight downside to this is that most of these returns have been from independent valuations of existing business units, rather than sales 'at market'. And valuations have assumptions, like growth rate discount rate etc. etc. . I am not wanting to cast aspersions on the valuers here, who I am sure have done a thoroughly professional job. But to better understand this valuation process, the latest annual report makes interesting reading

From AR2024 p34:
"Infratil’s investment in CDC is now valued between A$3.8 billion to A$4.4 billion, up from A$3.1 billion to A$3.7 billion 12 months earlier. This valuation increase reflects the significant additional demand and future development pipeline added over the course of the year, somewhat offset by an increase in the required return to take account of the increased risk profile associated with developing at scale. The independent valuation assumes 1,220MW of total built capacity, up from 585MW 12 months earlier. This
consists of 268MW operating capacity, 416MW under construction and 536MW classified as future builds."

I read that as the total current pipeline of data centre construction for some years into the future, being already priced into today's returns. I thought it interesting that the valuers even admit that their valuation is based on the 'build it and customers will come' business scenario, (when talking about the extra risks of developing at scale).

So am I saying that this 'return' Infratil shareholders have had these last few years is all BS? No, I am not saying that. But I do question the ability of valuers to realistically value a data centre portfolio when the total data centre capacity from all market players to come up for commissioning in the near term will increase total market data centre capacity by 500%.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 04:13 PM

I think with hindsight we can forgive the European Airport fiasco. Infratil was coming off a very rewarding period of investing in Wellington Airport, which I recall some 20-25 years ago was known for having more flight movements than Auckland (albeit not more passengers as on average the planes using Wellington Airport were smaller.) With the growth in international tourism, I am not sure if that is still true today. But Wellington remains a 'busy; little airport' nevertheless.

So I can see where the interest of investing in other 'secondary airports' came from. But as it turned out, those European Airports that Infratil chose to invest in did not have the same 'essential hub' characteristics that Wellington Airport has. We pay business people to take risks, and sometimes those risks do not pay off. That's business. And as long as management learn from their mistakes, I would be prepared to forgive them.

SNOOPY

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 04:32 PM
I think with hindsight we can forgive the European Airport fiasco. Infratil was coming off a very rewarding period of investing in Wellington Airport, which I recall some 20-25 years ago was known for having more flight movements than Auckland (albeit not more passengers as on average the planes using Wellington Airport were smaller.) With the growth in international tourism, I am not sure if that is still true today. But Wellington remains a 'busy; little airport' nevertheless.

So I can see where the interest of investing in other 'secondary airports' came from. But as it turned out, those European Airports that Infratil chose to invest in did not have the same 'essential hub' characteristics that Wellington Airport has. We pay business people to take risks, and sometimes those risks do not pay off. That's business. And as long as management learn from their mistakes, I would be prepared to forgive them.

SNOOPY
Definitely Forgiven - but not forgotten! The global credit crunch did not help passenger numbers.

I think Ardmore has more plane and helicopter flight movements than Mangere too. Planes smaller and older though. A fair amount of new building there too. It does help to have pivotal or unique characteristics.

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 04:34 PM

Just regarding data centres

As the above reference reads. Projecting an incremental 500MW data centre power load from the generators over the next five years. The equivalent of 200,000 more houses in Auckland.

Yes

Just that 0z seemed exposed to power generation shortfall from not enough gas production at the moment and NZ power supply always seems at risk.

You would have to think a data centre operator would have a back up generator supply on site wouldn't you? Otherwise the whole case for being a 'reliable' data provider goes out the window. But upwards of 20MW as a back up generator on site sounds pretty big. I wonder how data centre providers do manage a 'power out' scenario? Anyone know?

SNOOPY

Ggcc
22-06-2024, 05:00 PM

They don't build the sites until they have power supply. That was mentioned at the road show.

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 05:09 PM
They don't build the sites until they have power supply. That was mentioned at the road show.

Yes but in fairness I don't think that is point Winner was getting at. He (and I) would like to know what happens when the contracted power supply goes down unexpectedly.

SNOOPY

kiora
22-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Let google enlighten

https://kenshaw.com.au/case-study/canberra-data-centre-cdc-2018/

Ggcc
22-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Yes but in fairness I don't think that is point Winner was getting at. He (and I) would like to know what happens when the contracted power supply goes down unexpectedly.

SNOOPY
Good point. I am guessing that there would be a penalty of some sort to the power company, as Infratil's customers will also have that built into their contracts. Power guarantee means exactly that.

Snoopy
22-06-2024, 05:29 PM
Let google enlighten

https://kenshaw.com.au/case-study/canberra-data-centre-cdc-2018/

From the link
"CDC has also commissioned Kenshaw to install 4 x 2750kVA Cummins Generators with custom canopies in their brand-new Data centre due for completion in late 2018."

I wonder how big that datacentre in Australia was when it opened in late 2018? The reason I ask is that a 2750kVA Cummins Generator, might otherwise be reported as a 2.75MW Cummins generator. Four of those would produce 4x 2.75MW= 11MW.

That is not enough power to keep a more typically sized for today 20MW data centre on line. CDC would need 8 x 2750kVA Cummins Generators to support that. Crikey! I might have to buy some shares in Cummins!

SNOOPY

Mrbuyit
22-06-2024, 05:40 PM
I'd say there would be a combination of UPS to keep the important things on for a period of time(and provide a clean power supply) as well as some smart load shedding to drop off the unimportant things.

kiora
22-06-2024, 06:13 PM
In NZ
https://catalystcloud.nz/about/national-infrastructure/

warthog
22-06-2024, 06:30 PM
SNOOPY

Ultimately all data centres will need to go to where the power is cheap and reliable, even if it is remote. If not remote, it makes sense for HPC to be colocated with rapid (15 second for example, or faster) curtailment activities such as Bitcoin mining. The overall HPC demand will be more than most people can even imagine, and that's with HPC technology advancement over time. It might take a boom and consolidation to sort this out just like the internet. Yes datacentres have backup which is typically diesel generators onsite but as battery technology improves over time we will see this gradually migrate to battery and with combination HPC-mining you have the best of all worlds.

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 07:23 PM
From my AI app:

### Conclusion
While a power loss at a CDC Data Centre can have significant implications, the robust infrastructure and redundancy measures in place are designed to mitigate impact and ensure that services remain operational. These measures include UPS systems, backup generators, redundant power feeds, data replication, and comprehensive incident response plans. However, the efficiency of these systems can vary, and there may still be brief service interruptions or impacts depending on the specific circumstances and the effectiveness of the data center's contingency planning

warthog
22-06-2024, 07:34 PM
From my AI app:

### Conclusion
While a power loss at a CDC Data Centre can have significant implications, the robust infrastructure and redundancy measures in place are designed to mitigate impact and ensure that services remain operational. These measures include UPS systems, backup generators, redundant power feeds, data replication, and comprehensive incident response plans. However, the efficiency of these systems can vary, and there may still be brief service interruptions or impacts depending on the specific circumstances and the effectiveness of the data center's contingency planning

AI/HPC is not resilient when it comes to power and so the market will stratify according to reliability of connectivity and power. Renewables without battery infrastructure does not lend itself to AI/HPC.

It may be the case that LLM analysis takes place in locations where power is reliable and cheap, and then deployed closer to where they are required.

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 07:40 PM
From my AI app:
### Conclusion
The resilience of AI systems to data center power loss is achieved through a combination of redundancy, data replication, distributed computing, and robust backup systems. By leveraging UPS, backup generators, cloud solutions, and specific AI resilience strategies like checkpointing and stateless architecture, AI operations can maintain continuity and data integrity even in the face of power outages. These measures ensure that critical AI functions remain operational, mitigating the impact of data center power losses.

warthog
22-06-2024, 07:56 PM
From my AI app:
### Conclusion
The resilience of AI systems to data center power loss is achieved through a combination of redundancy, data replication, distributed computing, and robust backup systems. By leveraging UPS, backup generators, cloud solutions, and specific AI resilience strategies like checkpointing and stateless architecture, AI operations can maintain continuity and data integrity even in the face of power outages. These measures ensure that critical AI functions remain operational, mitigating the impact of data center power losses.

What does it all mean?

Redundancy means you have more than you need in case you lose some.
Data replication means data redundancy.
Distributed computing means computing redundancy.
Robust backup systems means robust redundancy.
UPS is power backup.
Backup generators are power backup.
Cloud solutions mean something in a data centre or centres.
Checkpointing is computing redundancy (staged analysis/compute, so it can resume from the most recent point of failure)
Stateless architecture means separating the state from the compute, a form of compute redundancy.

The AI is trying to convince you that all of this redundancy will mitigate power loss. All fine and dandy in theory, but redundancy is expensive.

Most of this will be resolved in time.

Google, Microsoft and Apple already do a lot of this for their own compute but even with colossal budgets to throw at these problems, they still have plenty of outages.

Bjauck
22-06-2024, 08:03 PM
I have turned my Hal off to a lullaby of “daisy!”

New technology and developments always come with risks. Refinement takes time. Going back to the aviation theme, the first commercial passenger jet, The comet, had horrendous accidents but over the years jet reliability and safety have improved. No doubt AI systems will have hiccups.

warthog
22-06-2024, 08:17 PM
I have turned my Hal off to a lullaby of “daisy!”

New technology and developments always come with risks. Refinement takes time. Going back to the aviation theme, the first commercial passenger jet, The comet, had horrendous accidents but over the years jet reliability and safety have improved. No doubt AI systems will have hiccups.

"It might take a boom and consolidation to sort this out just like the internet."

Baa_Baa
22-06-2024, 08:50 PM
This thread seems to have got off track with concerns about ongoing resilience to power outages, affecting IFT. Discussion seems to be mostly those concerned from who don't know about data centre availability.

While there is no doubt, Data Centres are vulnerable to 'long term' power outages, they are super resilient with numerous mitigations in place that are hard to explain to the lay person.

There is no doubt that a business who contractually relies on the "5 nines" 99.999% availability, doesn't have all the fail safe measures in place to guarantee that service.

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 10:15 AM
Ultimately all data centres will need to go to where the power is cheap and reliable, even if it is remote. If not remote, it makes sense for HPC to be colocated with rapid (15 second for example, or faster) curtailment activities such as Bitcoin mining. The overall HPC demand will be more than most people can even imagine, and that's with HPC technology advancement over time. It might take a boom and consolidation to sort this out just like the internet. Yes datacentres have backup which is typically diesel generators onsite but as battery technology improves over time we will see this gradually migrate to battery and with combination HPC-mining you have the best of all worlds.

Reply relocated to a bitcoin thread.
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?12705-Bitcoin-maximalist&p=1057819&viewfull=1#post1057819

SNOOPY

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 12:36 PM
IMHO IFT remains the best placed risk adjusted public investment on NZX by a long shot. So many tail winds are in evidence, but particularly the AI growth into datacentre deployment, into data infrastructure growth and finally into green renewable energy demand. IFT sits across so many strong thematics / tail winds / growth areas. Beautifully positioned / poised!

Rate of increase in datacentre deployment in both CDC and KAO (not material in KAO but maturing nicely and is only a couple of years off of being very meaningful) is astonishing.
In active construction they appear to have more than 140% of existing capacity - that's not a pipeline, that's in active construction. The pipeline of owned sites plus the active construction is 350% increase against the existing deployed operational asset.

Assumption: I am assuming that because Infratil's investment in CDC is below 50%, CDC is not consolidated in the Infratil accounts.

I am framing my 'title question' from the point of view of new shareholders buying into IFT at 'book value' on the FY2024 balance date.

a/ Net Profit as Reported

From AR2024 p80, that is showing that the carrying value of CDC on the Infratil books is $1,403.4m.
The IFT Group share of NPAT, given IFT owns 48.24% of CDC, is 0.4824 x $201.9m= $97.40m

This means Infratil's investment in CDC is being carried on the books at a PE Ratio of $1,403.4/$97.40m = 14.4
Or looking at it another way, an earnings yield of $97.4m / $1,403.4 = 6.9%. (because Australian franking credits are not recognised in NZ, I guess this means that 6.9% is the 'gross earnings yield')

Given the touted growth prospects for CDC, both the PER and yield, as implied by book value, seem very reasonable.

b/ Net Profit as calculated

Muddying the water is slide 27 of the recent Infratil presentation.
In that, the bar graph shows EDITDAF for CDC over FY2024 of $271m, of which I presume the Infratil share is 0.4824x$271m = $130.7m

Total IFT balance sheet assets for FY2024 sum to $16,109.9m. So in a 'total asset picture', the IFT stake in CDC represents only: $1,403.4m/$16.109.9m= 8.71% of all assets. The net financing expense over the FY2024 year was $366.7m. 8.71% of that figure is $31.9m. So I take $31.9m as 'allocated net interest' that must be offset against against any profit from holding CDC.

i/ We make an assessment that the depreciation and amortisation of CDC assets is systematically charged over 20 years (buildings will probably be more and computer equipment less) .
ii/ We guess that the CDC assets in operation today earn 10% on the original capital outlay. This means the price of assets on the books is $97.4m/0.1= $974m.

Now, 1/20th of that figure is $48.7m. Assuming 'F' (which is generally reserved for one off non-operational transactions), is zero, we can calculate the implied IFT share of NPAT from the EBITDAF figure quoted as follows:

0.7 x ($130.7m - $31.9m - $48.7m) = $35.1m

Comparison Conclusion

$35.1m is well below the $97.4m of NPAT implied in AR2024 on page 80. This could mean a couple of things.

i/ My estimates for 'I' and 'DA' are wrong - could be, I invite readers to comment on my assumptions OR
ii/ there is a large one off gain F which has increased the CDC profit over FY2024 (AR2024 page 80).

The term EBITDAF does not appear once in AR2024. So I am finding it very difficult to see what is going on here, and whether that $97.4m IFT share of CDC profits has been inflated by one offs. I do find it difficult to assess results when the same company publishes annual results using different yardsticks, for -in this case- CDC. Inconsistent reporting just leaves me the impression that the company that is issuing the results has something to hide. I am in the dark as to whether that $97.4m implied profit share from CDC to Infratil for FY2024 is to any extent sustainable or not.

SNOOPY

forest
23-06-2024, 02:52 PM
If we make an assessment of the depreciation and amortisation of CDC assets is 20 years (buildings will probably be more and computer equipment less)

Hi Snoopy, I appreciate your detailed analysis as always. Just one thought, I am under the understanding that the clients leasing (often only parts of) a data centre own the computers. What a data centre leases out is a building with reliable electricity and cooling for the clients to put there equipment in.

winner69
23-06-2024, 03:03 PM
Found this interesting ….from a Bloomberg

Data centers now consume more electricity than most countries

Out of 195 countries, only 16 countries consume more electricity than all the data centers of the world

And the demand for power by data centers will increase with more AI - driven data processing demand

Snow Leopard
23-06-2024, 03:24 PM

Many years ago I was in a Data Centre doing regular maintenance on a client's disaster recovery database.
At the near precise moment I hit the enter key to run a command there was a loud bang, all the room lights went out, the aircons stopped and there was only the gentle hum of the computers themselves.

For what seemed like a lifetime, but was actually 30 seconds, I stood there in the dark.

Then the generators kicked in, some lights came on, the cooling started to run again and all was well.

But I seriously thought I had caused it all for a few seconds.

Disc: Hold IFT & in on the capital raise
Disc: Caffe Latte made with Premium Sarawak Liberica beans.

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 04:06 PM
Hi Snoopy, I appreciate your detailed analysis as always. Just one thought, I am under the understanding that the clients leasing (often only parts of) a data centre own the computers. What a data centre leases out is a building with reliable electricity and cooling for the clients to put there equipment in.

Hi Forest,

Appreciate your thoughts. You are right. But I think you are only covering one of the data centre business models out there. There are 'Public Data Centres' and 'Private Data Centres'. The way I remember 'which is which' is the philosophy of each named class of data centre follows the philosophy of the same names as they apply to the English school system.

Thus a 'Public Data Centre' is like a 'pay school' (private school in NZ) where 'you pay money' and accept whatever data access package the operator has available for you.
OTOH a 'Private Data Centre' is exactly what you describe. You rent space in a suitably powered and cooled 'outer shell', into which you install your own computer equipment.

The other option is 'hybrid storage' which is a mixture of private and public. That might suit a company with broad requirement for a data heavy back office workload, but one that still wishes to keep critical secure information on company owned servers.

My broad reading on the topic suggests that while 'Private Cloud' used to be the norm, the pendulum has now swung so that in terms of data centre capability, 'Public Cloud' now dominates. Certainly the international hyperscalers like AWS and Microsoft Azure require full control of their data centres and do not entertain 'Private Cloud'.
It is amongst this trend that the likes of Spark are looking to position themselves as hybrid cloud operators - not directly competing with the likes of AWS and Azure, so that Spark customers can choose, or not, to use their own computer equipment and in what proportion.

As a 'new kid on the block', in NZ at least, and a company that mentions 'scale' at every opportunity I had just assumed that CDC was a 'pure 'public cloud' operator. But my assumption could be wrong, especially as CDC has a much longer establishment timeline in their home market in Australia. If CDC are indeed more of a 'private cloud' operator, then Forest, you make a good point. But are they? Do any readers know?

SNOOPY

ynot
23-06-2024, 04:28 PM

Many years ago I was in a Data Centre doing regular maintenance on a client's disaster recovery database.
At the near precise moment I hit the enter key to run a command there was a loud bang, all the room lights went out, the aircons stopped and there was only the gentle hum of the computers themselves.

For what seemed like a lifetime, but was actually 30 seconds, I stood there in the dark.

Then the generators kicked in, some lights came on, the cooling started to run again and all was well.

But I seriously thought I had caused it all for a few seconds.

Disc: Hold IFT & in on the capital raise
Disc: Caffe Latte made with Premium Sarawak Liberica beans.

That coffee sounds interesting. Would you know if the green bean is available here.

forest
23-06-2024, 07:01 PM
Hi Forest,

Appreciate your thoughts. You are right. But I think you are only covering one of the data centre business models out there. There are 'Public Data Centres' and 'Private Data Centres'. The way I remember 'which is which' is the philosophy of each named class of data centre follows the philosophy of the same names as they apply to the English school system.

Thus a 'Public Data Centre' is like a 'pay school' (private school in NZ) where 'you pay money' and accept whatever data access package the operator has available for you.
OTOH a 'Private Data Centre' is exactly what you describe. You rent space in a suitably powered and cooled 'outer shell', into which you install your own computer equipment.

The other option is 'hybrid storage' which is a mixture of private and public. That might suit a company with broad requirement for a data heavy back office workload, but one that still wishes to keep critical secure information on company owned servers.

My broad reading on the topic suggests that while 'Private Cloud' used to be the norm, the pendulum has now swung so that in terms of data centre capability, 'Public Cloud' now dominates. Certainly the international hyperscalers like AWS and Microsoft Azure require full control of their data centres and do not entertain 'Private Cloud'.
It is amongst this trend that the likes of Spark are looking to position themselves as hybrid cloud operators - not directly competing with the likes of AWS and Azure, so that Spark customers can choose, or not, to use their own computer equipment and in what proportion.

As a 'new kid on the block', in NZ at least, and a company that mentions 'scale' at every opportunity I had just assumed that CDC was a 'pure 'public cloud' operator. But my assumption could be wrong, especially as CDC has a much longer establishment timeline in their home market in Australia. If CDC are indeed more of a 'private cloud' operator, then Forest, you make a good point. But are they? Do any readers know?

SNOOPY

Hi Snoopy, I got my info from Matthew Ross, deputy CFO of infratil. I did not know there were other data centre business model so I assume CDC is indeed a 'private cloud' model.

Ggcc
23-06-2024, 07:45 PM
Hi Forest,

SNOOPY

Yes they only own the building and don’t own the hardware, other than the wires that hardware plug into in the building. They also have mentioned 30 year contracts, which sounds great.

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 08:47 PM
Hi Snoopy, I got my info from Matthew Ross, deputy CFO of infratil. I did not know there were other data centre business model so I assume CDC is indeed a 'private cloud' model.

I had another look at the CDC website, forest.

https://cdc.com/services/data-centre-services/

Under the architecture and planning link it says this:
"Our expert team collaborates with you throughout the entire lifecycle, from the strategic planning of your data centre environment to the detailed solution architecture that encompasses the specific power density, cooling and interconnection of your ICT footprint."

The above sentence seems to indicate specific power density, cooling and interconnection are the services offered. Then they say of "your" rather than "our" ICT footprint.
Maybe I am reading too much into the wording. As 'Your' ICT requirements could still reside on 'our' equipment. But what I have quoted does align with what Matthew Ross said to you, forest.

Yet it is hard to be sure of the truth when so many buzzwords are involved.

Sovereign.
"Protecting your long-term investment – through sovereign control of your data centre."

What does the above mean? Is King Charles personally in charge of looking after your data?

Secure.
"Protecting your critical assets – all CDC facilities are certified to the highest levels of security."

Again the above reads like nothing more than a slick marketing slogan, which means nothing under closer scrutiny. If they let customers install their own hardware and software, how do they know it is all done to the highest security level? Or are they speaking of something quite different to software security? Like a high fence and a full time security guard (which CDC do offer)?

Customisable.
"Configure your data centre your way – CDC provides flexible, modular and scalable solutions to future-proof your business."

A lesson in how to say nothing in as many words as possible? At first glance the above quote fits the narrative of a third party business bringing in their own hardware and software. But the heading say 'customisable'. This indicates to me there is a standard option which a user can choose or not to customise. And it implies to me the non-customised 'standard' option is supplied by CDC.

I don't think I have seen a business website less informative than 'cdc.com'. Why do they not come out and say straight what services they provide? Instead of meaningless marketing drivel that can be read any way the tide washes it?

SNOOPY

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 09:11 PM
Yes they only own the building and don’t own the hardware l, other than the wires that hardware plug into in the building. They also have mentioned 30 year contracts, which sounds great.

Well I am surprised to hear this. I am not denying it is true, but do you have a source for this information? If true, it does explain why Telstra has no policy on dealing with CDC. Because if customer companies supply their own equipment, and CDC simply supplies the cabinets, that means there is no CDC to deal with from a Telstra perspective. Telstra must deal with the CDC customers individually.

If CDC is wholly a 'private data centre' model, that is very different to what AWS and Microsoft Azure are offering. In the past, running a 'Private Data Centre' was the only game in town. But has the data centre market evolved now?

Ggcc's explanation would also explain companies signing up for a 30 year lease. Who in their right mind would sign a deal with a technology company, locking them into incumbent technology for 30 years? Perhaps a company that doesn't sign away their future technology path? A company that still owns all of their hardware and software assets?

SNOOPY

Baa_Baa
23-06-2024, 09:23 PM
Snoopy has much to learn about the various types of data centres, what they provide, how they do it, what customers they target and why, and how their business models work. It is not at all clear why he is even remotely interested, except perhaps that IFT is a very very successful company.

Snoopy
23-06-2024, 09:45 PM

Snoopy has much to learn about the various types of data centres, what they provide, how they do it, what customers they target and why, and how their business models work. It is not at all clear why he is even remotely interested, except perhaps that IFT is a very very successful company.

I have already told you why I am interested in CDC, when I started the series of posts that have gone places over the weekend (see above). From an NZ perspective, I am particularly interested in how CDC competes with Spark data centres. From what has come out so far, it seems that Spark see their USP as offering a 'hybrid' data centre, whereas CDC are fully focussed on 'private' data centres. So it isn't quite the 'clash of the titans' I thought it was. It looks like Spark and CDC have their own preferred data centre niches.

And for your information, I have never claimed to have a detailed knowledge of the data centre business models. I am here on this thread to learn about them from others who know more than me - which is the principal purpose of joining a forum like this in the first place, right?

SNOOPY

kiora
23-06-2024, 10:13 PM
As a IFT shareholder from day dot I find the compounding growth model the most interesting and rewarding.
Very few companies on the NZX seem to manage to achieve it the way IFT has.
Some investors are more interested in dividends per se. even though dividends can come & go.

Return on invested capital is pertinant, for renewable Energy I suspect Longroad Rnergy has significantly higher returns than any other international firms competing in the same space eg Orsted
In parallel with Longroad Energy derisking their build pipeline through long term contracts.

Key : Derisk,leverage,higher returns

Ggcc
24-06-2024, 09:07 AM
Well I am surprised to hear this. I am not denying it is true, but do you have a source for this information? If true, it does explain why Telstra has no policy on dealing with CDC. Because if customer companies supply their own equipment, and CDC simply supplies the cabinets, that means there is no CDC to deal with from a Telstra perspective. Telstra must deal with the CDC customers individually.

If CDC is wholly a 'private data centre' model, that is very different to what AWS and Microsoft Azure are offering. In the past, running a 'Private Data Centre' was the only game in town. But has the data centre market evolved now?

Ggcc's explanation would also explain companies signing up for a 30 year lease. Who in their right mind would sign a deal with a technology company, locking them into incumbent technology for 30 years? Perhaps a company that doesn't sign away their future technology path? A company that still owns all of their hardware and software assets?

SNOOPY
At the road shows they openly discuss about this. To be honest if one is in your town, just go past and take a look. The team are very approachable and they all know their stuff.

ratkin
24-06-2024, 09:51 AM
I had an email from the share registry saying they had removed the funds from my account on Friday, yet nothing has been removed. Did anyone else experience the same thing, or have I given the wrong account number?

warthog
24-06-2024, 10:14 AM
I had an email from the share registry saying they had removed the funds from my account on Friday, yet nothing has been removed. Did anyone else experience the same thing, or have I given the wrong account number?

Maybe you gave them the hog's account number? Funds gone! :cool:

But no email……:mellow:

Ggcc
24-06-2024, 10:33 AM
email received and funds gone.