PDA

View Full Version : Shares in your daughters name??

alliswell
11-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Hi,

Just a few questions, if you may be so kind as to answer if you can....
I've been pulling $20 a week since about six months before she was born, into a bank account for her, though with the poor interest rates, starting to think about the market,,....I was thinking something boring and steady,...like property??
Firstly am I able to buy shares in my daughters name?? (6 yr old)...and secondly....

what would be a good investment for a long term,responsible divvie, (maybe even a share in lieu of cash deal) so apart from property, is there any others??

Cheers

huxley
11-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi,

Just a few questions, if you may be so kind as to answer if you can....
I've been pulling $20 a week since about six months before she was born, into a bank account for her, though with the poor interest rates, starting to think about the market,,....I was thinking something boring and steady,...like property??
Firstly am I able to buy shares in my daughters name?? (6 yr old)...and secondly....

what would be a good investment for a long term,responsible divvie, (maybe even a share in lieu of cash deal) so apart from property, is there any others??

Cheers

http://www.dividendyield.co.nz/hightolowdividend.php

Look for companies with DRP if you don't want to deal with cash dividends..

Or look at a managed fund (Index or active) or an REIT..

Just ideas!

huxley
11-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Ps.. should this be in newbie or investment strategy threads?

trader_jackson
11-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Well of course I would have to recommend Heartland Bank (HBL)
(Great dividend, great DRP)

Disclosure: Heartland is my largest investment ;)

huxley
11-10-2016, 03:44 PM
https://superlife.co.nz/myfuturefund

Absolute144
11-10-2016, 04:10 PM
http://www.dividendyield.co.nz/hightolowdividend.php

Look for companies with DRP if you don't want to deal with cash dividends..

Or look at a managed fund (Index or active) or an REIT..

Just ideas!

What the benefit of DRP as opposed to cash dividend other that not having cash not working or having to decide in what to reinvest in? Are there tax benefit of DRP over a cash divie?

unhuman
11-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Would reccomend that you look into a smartshares ETF(s) http://smartshares.co.nz/ on the basis that you can invest as a little as 50.00 per month which would suit your current 20.00 per week.

unhuman
11-10-2016, 04:20 PM
What the benefit of DRP as opposed to cash dividend other that not having cash not working or having to decide in what to reinvest in? Are there tax benefit of DRP over a cash divie?

Answered your own question in that not having to manage what to do with the cash receipts / reinvest etc. No tax benefit to DRP.

GTM 3442
11-10-2016, 04:36 PM
I used to buy the shares and then give them to my daughter by an off-market transfer.

She had two bank accounts, one for saving and one for spending. She was allowed to choose which account the dividend cheques went into. It's important to see the money coming in.

Also one lot of bonds with a fairly close maturity, so she decides what to do.

After a while, she learned that there were more places to put money than in the bank. Which was the object.

PS - Don't forget to do a tax return for her so she can carry the imputation credits forward as a loss.

huxley
11-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Answered your own question in that not having to manage what to do with the cash receipts / reinvest etc. No tax benefit to DRP.

No tax benefit although you do get to increase your holding without paying brokerage plus you dollar cost average into the investment..

HTH

stoploss
11-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I did started doing this 18 odd years ago , purchased the shares $ 1000 a year ...transferred them into daughters name ... only problem is then seeing them when it all goes pear shaped like Pumpkin Patch ....
Subsequently I put some money into PIE Funds for them much better option . I think they have a 25 K min now so might not be an option .But ETF or managed fund would be a good way to go imo.

GTM 3442
11-10-2016, 07:33 PM
One reason for doing this is to teach them about money, investment, and the options which are available. That includes making the (hopefully occasional small) loss.

I don't think it's fair on kids to send them out into the big wide world under the impression that the only possibilities are a bank account and a Kiwisaver fund.

At one time she was dead keen on an iPod. Bought her a tranche of RNS shares instead. Told her she could sell them if she wanted. It was fun watching the decision-making that went on.

She sold them, bought the iPod, and was insufferable when Renaissance went belly up.

LAC
11-10-2016, 09:00 PM
I think its good to give them the opportunity to invest a small amount themselves when they have an understanding of $. Maybe when the divi comes about and they are old enough to do some research then let them invest that. I have family and friends who have all been given a heap of cash when they turned 18, 21 or 30 years old but have no clue on investment and end up buying cars, holidays or just leave it in the bank (not even on TDs). It's quite important that kids know the value and compounding effect of money IMO.

Sideshow Bob
11-10-2016, 10:10 PM
I have a daughter, she is 6 also, and the part owner in Meridian (mmmm divvy coming Friday!).

The shares are in her name - I deal through Craigs, so did the paperwork through them. Might have needed birth certificate, bank account etc. She has her own CSN number and quite a long form but simple enough. Think any correspondence is c/- of me.

minimoke
12-10-2016, 07:08 AM
I have sons so cant really contribute. I also have Scottish blood so not into giving money away.

They have a a kiwsaver account in high risk area.

Also get pocket money split into 2. half for saving, half for bank account that cant be touched unless they identify an investment. same goes with cash gifts - half gets spent half into the bank.

They have learnt interest rates arent great but compound interest is pretty powerful. They arent spenders (generally) so their spending ends up getting saved and put into investment bank account.

They havent had a shortage of opportunity to decide to withdraw cash and put it else where. One son was going to get into bitcoin and currency but decided against it. He is now first year university and his investment is now funding his study along with bloody interest free student loans which undermines my message there is no such thing as free money.

In the meantime I've been paying down the mortgage which has been a bit of a change in financial planning on my part part. Adult life has twists and turns and these have to be managed as a greater priority than the offspring

alliswell
01-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks one and all,..a lot of food for thought,...

Beagle
02-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Would reccomend that you look into a smartshares ETF(s) http://smartshares.co.nz/ on the basis that you can invest as a little as 50.00 per month which would suit your current 20.00 per week.

I think that's ideal.