sharetrader
Page 2011 of 2059 FirstFirst ... 101115111911196120012007200820092010201120122013201420152021 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,110 of 20585
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    The gravy train whereby an operator can hold a departing resident's cash (in theory indefinitely under the current rules) interest free will most likely come to an end I think. The current rules are way too in favour of the operator.
    Looking at the Share prices of these companies - this gravy train... has to end soon, just printing money from poor elderly!

In practice, my understanding is that this isn't an issue and doesn't happen too often. Could be wrong.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    and yes sadly the float even though it is relatively stable does not guarantee survival.

The what?? The float?? What Float??

How dare you disregard Day Trader like this.

@Sailor, yes, it's great to see for sure. ValueNZ working hard stacking shelves and completing a degree.

I did the same thing back in the day at University and, in my case, put all my savings into just two stocks. I lost the lot but it was the best time to make those sort of mistakes. I learnt a tremendous amount.

Hopefully wont happen to ValueNZ but even if it did, it wouldn't make any difference to such a young investor. Plenty of time to make up for missteps.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 13-05-2024 at 07:04 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    @Sailor, yes, it's great to see for sure. ValueNZ working hard stacking shelves and completing a degree.

I did the same thing back in the day at University and, in my case, put all my savings into just two stocks. I lost the lot but it was the best time to make those sort of mistakes. I learnt a tremendous amount.

Hopefully wont happen to ValueNZ but even if it did, it wouldn't make any difference to such a young investor. Plenty of time to make up for missteps.
    I did the same.

Spent all my money on smokes, p1ss and chasing girls though!

Still ended up rich by 35.

Oceania share price down each week for last 4 weeks …….Warriors have lost 4 weeks in a row

Spooky eh ….must mean something

Warriors likely to lose this week again …wonder what will happen to Oceania share price?

And Jason Paris is still fan #1 ….I’m sure a few Oceania fans could write such a comment about their beloved as well

@JasonCParis
    The @NZWarriors were incredibly tough tonight. We won 18 - 16 after the first 15 minutes. We need to remove those poor 20 min periods and we can beat anybody. Injuries are a worry, but look at the players back from week 14. #KeepTheFaith
    #UpTheWahs
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    This is all most people need to know , never mind the gospel chorus from the bagholders on the goldmine of the float.

From fletcher building. no wonder most RV satocks are heading towards lows again

There has also been a notable slowdown in house sales in the New Zealand market and an end to the house price momentum seen through the first half of FY24.

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/430952

Good link Bull, I have never believed in all this Property hype.

I just sold a place for 5.2 million that sold for 7.1 million 20 years ago in January 2005... (Adjusted to 2024 dollars, 4.4 million actual sale price in 2005) and it had a $hitload of money spent on it over the 20 years.

While Maverick is all over OCA like nobody else, I have never much liked the property market predictions and turnover predictions that have been presented as an almost certain fact. Truth is nobody knows and things can get a hell of a lot worse. Also the Share price predictions are not much better.

Baa_Baa on another thread mentioned the property market being on its A$rse right now.... Well at 4.5 times the size of our GDP (vs 1.7 x for the USA and most other countries) and 1970's pads in the provinces selling right now for the high 800's when median wages in the town are at best 75k... I would say that property markets are super pumped to the Moon right now.

Just because something has fallen, that in itself says nothing about the current situation of valuation or turnover.

Wake me up when provincial property (most of which is incredibly ill maintained and old) is trading at 3 x median incomes. Still wont be on its backside - just normal.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post

Great post, was that in the 87 crash?

Another way to think about it is that mistakes at a young age, while don't cost much in capital, will cost a lot in missed compounding as the years really matter.

So if he saved up 10k in a year and lost it, no big deal right? Well if he could compound that at 10% after tax and expenses, then by age 58 (well before most retire) that would be well over half a million. Yes a lot of that will be inflation.

Not disagreeing with you but something else to think about. Capital at a young age is super precious.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Spent all my money on smokes, p1ss and chasing girls though!
    And the rest you wasted!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Oceania share price down each week for last 4 weeks …….Warriors have lost 4 weeks in a row

Spooky eh ….must mean something

Warriors likely to lose this week again …wonder what will happen to Oceania share price?

And Jason Paris is still fan #1 ….I’m sure a few Oceania fans could write such a comment about their beloved as well

@JasonCParis
    The @NZWarriors were incredibly tough tonight. We won 18 - 16 after the first 15 minutes. We need to remove those poor 20 min periods and we can beat anybody. Injuries are a worry, but look at the players back from week 14. #KeepTheFaith
    #UpTheWahs

I would suggest learning from the Winner69 of 2011, SUM thread.

@sailor Yes 1987. Capital at a young age is super precious and the loss at that age feels particularly painful. I remember it well.

The main thing is not to give up on investing, take your lumps, and get into low fee, broad market passive funds as soon as you can. Sure carve off 10 percent for your tilts and mad money if you must. Why not.

Congratulations on that house sale. I wouldn't know what to do with that much money. Would definitely get double glazing as a start.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 13-05-2024 at 07:35 PM.