sharetrader
Page 225 of 330 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228229235275325 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 3300
    Dilettante

Nice to see how the woke brigade is welcoming a recent immigrant. No doubt in their view, he is the wrong colour and wrong culture and even tries to do some work for a living. How utterly "precious" and pathetic these people have become https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/former...NNWM2U7DCT3OE/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Nice to see how the woke brigade is welcoming a recent immigrant. No doubt in their view, he is the wrong colour and wrong culture and even tries to do some work for a living. How utterly "precious" and pathetic these people have become https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/former...NNWM2U7DCT3OE/
    My reading of the article was not that the artist was the wrong culture or colour, but more that his recent arrival meant he did not understand or appreciate the cultural sensitivities involved in making money using a Maori person's image (particularly incorporating moko) without their knowledge and permission.

I am delighted you acknowledge that artists are actually working, but I feel I should warn you that too much sympathy or approval of artistic pursuits is teetering on the edge of "wokeness". Go carefully!
    Last edited by davflaws; 27-03-2024 at 10:01 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    My reading of the article was not that the artist was the wrong culture or colour, but more that his recent arrival meant he did not understand or appreciate the cultural sensitivities involved in making money using a Maori person's image (particularly incorporating moko) without their knowledge and permission.

I am delighted you acknowledge that artists are actually working, but I feel I should warn you that too much sympathy or approval of artistic pursuits is teetering on the edge of "wokeness". Go carefully!
    Maybe they just need to get over themselves and stop this precious nonsense.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe they just need to get over themselves and stop this precious nonsense.
    As Kaipara did not sit for the artist, the picture could be derived from somebody else’s art or photo, which could be a breach of copyright.

I certainly would be uncomfortable if I saw that a stranger had photographed or painted, and published, a family member’s likeness without permission. I would be more uncomfortable if photoshopping was involved. The context of the whole picture would be important too as it could also be inappropriate or defamatory.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-03-2024 at 10:38 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    As Kaipara did not sit for the artist, the picture could be derived from somebody else’s art or photo, which could be a breach of copyright.

I certainly would be uncomfortable if I saw that a stranger had photographed or painted, and published, a family member’s likeness without permission. I would be more uncomfortable if photoshopping was involved. The context of the whole picture would be important too as it could also be inappropriate or defamatory.
    I say bollocks!

Ms Kaipara has happily plastered her features over screen and print media for years. There will also have been articles written about her that contain photos taken of her without her permission.

If I was to paint a picture of a current public figure I would not expect to have to ask their permission, anymore than I would painting an historic figure.
    What next? Do cartoonists have to ask permission?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I say bollocks!

Ms Kaipara has happily plastered her features over screen and print media for years. There will also have been articles written about her that contain photos taken of her without her permission.

If I was to paint a picture of a current public figure I would not expect to have to ask their permission, anymore than I would painting an historic figure.
    My thoughts exactly

Guru

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...ould-be-sacked

Minister has had a bit of a spanking since all future decisions need to go through cabinet. Ouchie.

I think they are right to review spending and make sure it is being spent well, but the optics not great and has opened them up to attack.

And I do understand that if you are looking for savings for tax cuts, the disabled should be the absolute last place you go.

Definitely blew up in their face from an optics/comms perspective.

If Hipkins wants to start sacking people for ‘incompetence’ he might find he has very few MP’s left in his own party though!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I say bollocks!

Fair points with respect to Kaipara, and public figures.

Personal rights, including defamation, belong to the living, not to the dead. Although that may change as in Ellis v. The King (2022) the Supreme Court took into account Tikanga Māori.

Unless the particular publication’s employees took the photo themselves as a paparazzo shot, they would need to check on the licensing of the image.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-03-2024 at 12:28 PM.

IMO

So Niccola is going to bring the tax cuts in by hook or by crook ehh . We will see in a few months whether she puts her career and ego ahead of her country.Im thinking the former sadly .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    So Niccola is going to bring the tax cuts in by hook or by crook ehh . We will see in a few months whether she puts her career and ego ahead of her country.Im thinking the former sadly .
    It's about time tax cuts came in. I just finalised my tax return for the 2023 tax year and my tax bill is far too high for my liking. Thieves the lot of them.