sharetrader
Page 325 of 325 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325
Results 3,241 to 3,248 of 3248
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Naivety of the highest order.
    It's one thing to ask a question that's not in NZ's international interest, but to persist several times to get a different answer, when McClay has given an adequate diplomatic answer, is unpatriotic on Tame's part.

Who is he serving?

Imagine if Tame got the answer he tried so hard to get, then it was broadcast on Chinese and Indian news!

Very damaging to NZ.
    so Tame should have exerted control over his pursuit of free expression, for the supposed common political and economic good? Sounds a bit commie to me.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    so Tame should have exerted control over his pursuit of free expression, for the supposed common political and economic good? Sounds a bit commie to me.
    You may couch it that way if you wish.

The reality is that our trading partners don't adhere to puritanical politics or media transparency.

TV's production teams who compile questions for interviews of our Trade diplomats should give more consideration
    to what's at stake, and interviewers such as Tame should take the hint to move on when answered, rather than try to elicit a damaging response.

Do what's good for NZ Inc, not personal egos and point scoring.

Guru

The reality is that our trading partners don't adhere to puritanical politics or media transparency.

TV's production teams who compile questions for interviews of our Trade diplomats should give more consideration
    to what's at stake, and interviewers such as Tame should take the hint to move on when answered, rather than try to elicit a damaging response.

Have to disagree with you there.

I never saw this interview, but if Tame was unfairly biased etc that is one thing.

However, what other countries may or may not think is not his concern. He is free to ask anything and, in fact, we rely on media to ask the hard/uncomfortable questions to hold those in power to account.

It is up to the minister to navigate those questions carefully.

I am very critical of the MSM when I see (what I perceive as) one-sided or biased reporting.

But I would be even more horrified if I thought journalists were not asking hard questions on the basis that they are scared to upset an overseas leader.

DFABPCLMB

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Dann said superannuation and CGT are some of the key factors in why New Zealand is “languishing” compared to our transtasman neighbours. “For me, there are two key things Australia has that we don’t. Compulsory superannuation savings and a capital gains tax have made a huge difference across decades of economic growth.
    I think Dann missed the biggest of them all being the resources that have been dug out of the Australian ground for multiple decades. I find it somewhat telling.....

Guru

What are “puritanical politics”?

Our trading partners have all sorts of politics, I certainly would hope that our media would operate according to the standards of a democratic country with media independence and transparency when conducting interviews with government ministers and representatives. I mean to say that was a criticism levelled by some National Party supporters against the previous Labour admin - that its media funding was buying media bias.
    Last edited by Bjauck; Yesterday at 06:02 PM.

Advanced Member

So, did the All Black's achieve greatness by playing as a squad of 25 individuals, or as a team?

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...LAMZILHVMW5GQ/

PM Christopher Luxon compares Labour to arsonists in fiery speech

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon compared the Labour opposition to arsonists in a fire-heavy speech to supporters in Palmerston North this morning.

Luxon said that Labour’s questions to him each Parliamentary sitting week were “a bit like an arsonist returning to the scene of a fire that they started and then criticising the fire brigade for the means by which it is extinguishing the fire.

They probably don't know what a hose or ladder look like either after six years of p*ssing in the wind and hoping the wind didn't change direction to come back & soak them

Guru

The whole world is on fire then except Australia.

He doesn't apply the same logic to climate change only to numbers on a paper.