sharetrader
Page 1907 of 1920 FirstFirst ... 90714071807185718971903190419051906190719081909191019111917 ... LastLast
Results 19,061 to 19,070 of 19196

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Here’s a thought. Are higher rates stimulative? The US govt pays $2m per minute on its debt. With higher saving and deposit rates is there a wealth effect for those holdings lots of cash?
    Absolutely, specially after a decade of those holding not having had anything to spend.

Massively under appreciated.

ASB offering Productivity Grants. Your business could get a share of $5 million in Productivity Grants when you take out business lending.

https://www.asb.co.nz/business-banking/productivity.html?fm=body:themes:asb-13843-business-productivity-homepage

Interesting report on Business productivity in New Zealand.
    NZIER report to ASB February 2024

https://www.asb.co.nz/content/dam/as...22-02-2024.pdf

Business productivity in New Zealand. Assessing the drivers and barriers in the international context

• New Zealand’s productivity paradox is well documented and traversed. Despite improving economic growth, productivity growth has lagged that of the other small advanced economies (SAEs).1 Productivity in New Zealand is driven by increasing labour productivity, which has been driven by an increasing labour force.

• A number of factors have been found to contribute to New Zealand’s low productivity. Key factors are capital shallowness, or low investment in both tangible and intangible capital and R&D, and low rates of diffusion of technology and innovation and reallocation of resources from less productive to more productive uses. A low level of dynamic capability within businesses also reduces their absorptive capacity to adopt and implement new ideas or technologies.

• International examples from the Nordic economies, Ireland and Singapore, indicate that exposure to international competition and strong, stable domestic innovation clusters or ecosystems are important in encouraging businesses to innovate and grow. This promotes the diffusion of new ideas and reallocation of resources across the economy.

• Successive policies have not increased innovation in New Zealand. This is, in part, because New Zealand lacks the longstanding ecosystems of business, research institutions and government agencies that support innovation in other SAEs.

• The pressing issue for New Zealand businesses is to build their understanding and appetite for innovation and investment as an engine for growth and sustainability. Geographic distance is not a protection from the effects of digital disruption and international innovation.

• Our findings point to three key levers to driving productivity growth in New Zealand:
    1 an innovation ecosystem involving businesses, research institutions and government agencies to collaborate more effectively to develop shared goals and plans;
    2 exposure to international competition, such as through exporting, which motivates firms to innovate to compete more effectively;
    3 minimal policy or regulatory obstacles when firms are motivated to innovate and scale.

• This provides a prime opportunity for banks to play their part in driving productivity growth by supporting businesses with financial investment in technology, innovation and developing export markets.

Guru

I'm doing my part through using a fintech to lower my exchange fees compared to ASB.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 11-05-2024 at 07:12 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I have a bit too much cash at the moment and certainly don’t feel wealthy because of it. After tax, I would guess I would not be matching inflation and I am well aware of that.
    Taking into account the effect of inflation, the tax levied on fixed interest deposits/investments also becomes a wealth tax. It also pushes kiwis into seeking investments with higher capital gains.

Higher rates of fixed rate savings by individuals/households shouldn’t be a bad thing if it provides a pool of capital for businesses to borrow for their capital expansion. We need new tax shelters for individuals and major tax reform.

Jim Simons, billionaire quantitative investing pioneer who generated eye-popping returns, dies at 86

His flagship Medallion Fund enjoyed annual returns of 66% between 1988 to 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/10/jim-...ies-at-86.html

probably the greastest trader of the time. who said traders cant make it big time.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Jim Simons, billionaire quantitative investing pioneer who generated eye-popping returns, dies at 86

probably the greastest trader of the time. who said traders cant make it big time.
    Correct, they can't.

Only possible with small sums, they can't compound like Berkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

One smart cookie. I had a quant guy working for me back in the day. What that guy could do with a spreadsheet blew my mind.
    I can't imagine what he's doing with AI right now.

As markets are going be tricky, consumer staples sector could be one safe heaven.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/recession-proof-stocks-are-leading-the-markets-latest-leg-higher-135138102.html

"Since April 16, around when the S&P 500 (^GSPC) hit its recent bottom, Utilities (XLU) have led the charge, rising nearly 12%, accounting for all of the sector's gains year to date. Consumer Staples (XLP) stocks have risen almost 5% in that same period, while the S&P 500 is up about 2.7%."

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    As markets are going be tricky, consumer staples sector could be one safe heaven.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/recession-proof-stocks-are-leading-the-markets-latest-leg-higher-135138102.html

"Since April 16, around when the S&P 500 (^GSPC) hit its recent bottom, Utilities (XLU) have led the charge, rising nearly 12%, accounting for all of the sector's gains year to date. Consumer Staples (XLP) stocks have risen almost 5% in that same period, while the S&P 500 is up about 2.7%."

Tesco had a good run lately
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Tesco had a good run lately
    Yes. My main concern is their debt level, but chart is looking good for the short run. I don't have companies with mountain of debt in my portfolio.

https://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.htm...CO&share=TESCO
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 11-05-2024 at 12:22 PM.