sharetrader
Page 322 of 340 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 3396
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    I feel like this in life now. I was in the office the other day. My neighbour just started ranting about Trump, Elon Musk and various other progressive "issues". Now, if I was to take the other side it would be career risk. I feel like I have to walk through life keeping my mouth closed. Its a form of oppression and pushes me further away from appreciating the point of view from the "other side".

Can't imagine what would happen if I went to HR an said I didn't feel "safe"
    Totally, in the work place if you have opinions that are not part of the accepted script it is better to just keep your mouth shut as you cannot predict how your career could be negatively impacted.

Speaking ones mind then become the domain of the rich who do not need to work, but even that is fraught with difficulty.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    I am wondering whether Balance's 'tropical paradise' exists anywhere but his imagination. The first link he posted referred to the Whitsundays, but the second one indicated Vietnam. Which is it?
    Ok I missed that link. I have looked for an “International School” in the Whitsundays - just found links to English language schools, and an Anglican School which caters for international students. It sounds pretty Aussie and seems part of the Australian education system. Anyway Auckland schools also carry the Bacc and Cambridge exams and cater for international students.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Totally, in the work place if you have opinions that are not part of the accepted script it is better to just keep your mouth shut as you cannot predict how your career could be negatively impacted.

Speaking ones mind then become the domain of the rich who do not need to work, but even that is fraught with difficulty.
    And the domain of the progressives. They unwaveringly believe they have the moral high ground and anyone that doesn't subscribe to their way of thinking are oppressors and should be cancelled

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    I was talking about this to Mrs Causecelebre the other day. I can imagine very soon wearing my head phones and having direct translation when conversing with another language speaker in real time
    I don’t think Mrs C would appreciate that when she is trying to talk to you..

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I often hear “they” used when the speaker is unsure whether there is a “he” or “she”. Using “it” would be distractingly rude and inappropriate.

I haven’t been able to find and read the article in question, so do not know how confusing “they” was in context.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...KZGVLYXXPZPOU/

If you are not a herald subscriber here is the opening lines.

American actor Charlyne Yi has claimed they were assaulted and psychologically abused on the set of Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement’s upcoming Apple TV+ series.

Yi - who uses they/them pronouns - made the allegations on Instagram, where they claimed they were forced to quit the series, Time Bandits, which was filmed in New Zealand in 2022 and 2023.

They claimed they were then denied compensation for their alleged injuries, which included a back injury and PTSD.

Without naming anyone specific, Yi claimed they were told they were able to leave the show if they wanted to.

They also alleged they were “gaslit by coworkers, producers and HR” and were told that by submitting to the unnamed alleged abuser, who is understood to be a male, they wouldn’t be physically assaulted any further.

Probably not that hard to understand with the explanation at the top, but really is this necessary. Take away the explanation "Yi - who uses they/them pronouns - made the allegations on Instagram, where they claimed they were forced to quit the series" and the article makes a mountain out of a molehill.

The fact she uses social media to address her problems, says a lot about her IMO.

Oops how insensitive I should have said.

The fact they use social media to address their problems, says a lot about them IMO. I hope that clarifies and assists with the understanding of my previous statement.

Not a biggie, just f*cking annoying as I am sure Charlyne is, perhaps that is why she was gaslit by coworkers, producers and HR (basically everyone on the movie set).

Writing on social media to explain to everyone your a *unt is probably not wise although in a brief moment of self-awareness I realise that is advice I should also follow.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-05-2024 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Writing on social media to explain to everyone your a *unt is probably not wise although in a brief moment of self-awareness I realise that is advice I should also follow.

Comment of the month.

Guru

Thanks Aaron. It seems clear to me that there was just the one person involved. I agree that making the allegations on instagram initially was ridiculous, They should have used the employment grievance process. The gender statement about Charlyne would get conservative backs up straight away! Was it necessary? The item could have been reworded to make it less about gender issues.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 17-05-2024 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Thanks Aaron. It seems clear to me that there was just the one person involved. I agree that making the allegations on instagram initially was ridiculous, They should have used the employment grievance process. The gender statement about Charlyne would get conservative backs up straight away! Was it necessary? The item could have been reworded to make it less about gender issues.
    I am now well retired from any employment advocacy, but I'm not sure that the Personal Grievance processes are available to people working in the film industry.

Key introduced legislation at Peter Jackson's insistance for the LOTR movies so they could make all workers 'contractors' and treat them pretty much any way they wanted. I suspect that legislation is still in force.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    I am now well retired from any employment advocacy, but I'm not sure that the Personal Grievance processes are available to people working in the film industry.

Key introduced legislation at Peter Jackson's insistance for the LOTR movies so they could make all workers 'contractors' and treat them pretty much any way they wanted. I suspect that legislation is still in force.
    Good point. I knew Peter Jackson used LOTR money to get the change. I thought Labour had changed the law again, but don't actually know. I know many companies in NZ use "independent" contractors where previously they had employees. In that case Charlyne should go for it; they should speak their truth to power.

Would the alleged behaviour Charlyne experienced be such to frustrate or impeded the performance of their contract? I guess it depends on the terms. The Human Rights Act 1993 covers contractors as well.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 17-05-2024 at 02:58 PM.

IMO

As I expected a trend is starting to develop
    NZ politics live: Left bloc outpaces right bloc in new political poll ,Stuff.