sharetrader
Page 321 of 340 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 3396
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Funnily enough I was reading an article in the herald this morning about a person who was upset working for Taika Waititi. The person goes by They/Them and suffered abuse and a back injury and PTSD apparently.

The article initially sounded as though it was lots of people, until you realised they were talking about one whiny idiot. It makes you wonder why the herald would pander to these *ucktards.
    Yeah it is pretty bad, and just another example of the woke MSM thinking they know best and attempting to ram stuff down our throats.

And yet they still cannot understand why a lot of people don't want to use their platform as a source of news anymore.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    "She" wanted to use the "they" pronoun, not the Herald making the decision. Bloody confusing when reading the article. Makes it sound like a whole bunch of them were effected (or should that be affected haha)
    They (as in The Herald, i.e. correct use of the term) could have just used her name each time to be clear if they didn't want to 'offend' with a he or she pronoun.

But The Herald are too busy showing how awesome and inclusive they are.

To their detriment ultimately.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Surely the important issue is the alleged trauma and abuse, not the gender of the person, and whether the Herald knew the gender, or asked how the person wanted to be identified.
    To be honest I could not give a s*it about the persons trauma even if they were a he, a she or a they. I was just annoyed that I thought I was reading about large scale abuse on a movie set until I realised they were talking about one possibly troubled individual who was unhappy.

It annoys me that people want to use "they" and "them" instead of "he" and "she" as it makes things confusing and IMO should not be encouraged by main stream media as I would assume clarity when writing would be important for a real journalist.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-05-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Have you moved to your foreign beach house yet?
    I am wondering whether Balance's 'tropical paradise' exists anywhere but his imagination. The first link he posted referred to the Whitsundays, but the second one indicated Vietnam. Which is it?

Guru

To be honest I could not give a s*it about the persons trauma even if they were a he, a she or a they. I was just annoyed that I thought I was reading about large scale abuse on a movie set until I realised they were talking about one possibly troubled individual who was unhappy.

It annoys me that people want to use "they" and "them" instead of "he" and "she" as it makes things confusing and IMO should not be encouraged by main stream media as I would assume clarity when writing would be important for a real journalist.
    Agreed, I can go along with calling a male to female trans she (or vice versa) but when they try to come up with all of this other sh1te that is confusing I am less than impressed too.

You see it on Linkedin a lot now too where the majority who are not even trans are adding their preferred pronound. WTF.

We have a bloke at work who likes to wear dresses. I don't actually know if 'she' is a transgender or if he is just a transvestite. Lovely bloke/lady I am sure... but to be honest I just try to avoid because I just know I am going to say 'the wrong thing' or put my foot in it somehow and then look like a bigot.

I doubt I am alone in feeling that way. And I am actually all for people expressing themselves how they want to etc...but it just feels like a political minefield now.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 17-05-2024 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo fix

Legend

Hear hear - you and me both.

Guru

Iwi will only communicate in te reo

A few thoughts.

1. Certainly in terms of written comms, AI now means that this form of protest is redundant. A Minister can have the comms translated in seconds.
    2. AI can even help with spoken translation. Just yesterday I was playing around with CHATGPT-4o... I was chatting away in English and then suddenly switched languages. I was impressed at how it understood both English (with all my umming and arring) as well as my heavily NZ-accented Hindi. This tech is a game changer and will mean people can speak to you in whatever language and you can have your own personal translator in your pocket.
    3. I understand that Iwi are not happy about the govt looking to reverse Maori names for Ministries etc, but ultimately they need to consider whether doing things like this which potentially add barries to communication and increase the odds of misunderstanding is in their best long term interests.

Guru

I often hear “they” used when the speaker is unsure whether there is a “he” or “she”. Using “it” would be distractingly rude and inappropriate.

I haven’t been able to find and read the article in question, so do not know how confusing “they” was in context.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 17-05-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Agreed, I can go along with calling a male to female trans she (or vice versa) but when they try to come up with all of this other sh1te that is confusing I am less than impressed too.

You see it on Linkedin a lot now too where the majority who are not even trans are adding their preferred pronound. WTF.

We have a bloke at work who likes to wear dresses. I don't actually know if 'she' is a transgender or if he is just a transvestite. Lovely bloke/lady I am sure... but to be honest I just try to avoid because I just know I am going to say 'the wrong thing' or put my foot in it somehow and then look like a bigot.

I doubt I am alone in feeling that way. And I am actually all for people expressing themselves how they want to etc...but it just feels like a political minefield now.
    I feel like this in life now. I was in the office the other day. My neighbour just started ranting about Trump, Elon Musk and various other progressive "issues". Now, if I was to take the other side it would be career risk. I feel like I have to walk through life keeping my mouth closed. Its a form of oppression and pushes me further away from appreciating the point of view from the "other side".

Can't imagine what would happen if I went to HR an said I didn't feel "safe"
    Last edited by causecelebre; 17-05-2024 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Iwi will only communicate in te reo

A few thoughts.

1. Certainly in terms of written comms, AI now means that this form of protest is redundant. A Minister can have the comms translated in seconds.
    2. AI can even help with spoken translation. Just yesterday I was playing around with CHATGPT-4o... I was chatting away in English and then suddenly switched languages. I was impressed at how it understood both English (with all my umming and arring) as well as my heavily NZ-accented Hindi. This tech is a game changer and will mean people can speak to you in whatever language and you can have your own personal translator in your pocket.
    3. I understand that Iwi are not happy about the govt looking to reverse Maori names for Ministries etc, but ultimately they need to consider whether doing things like this which potentially add barries to communication and increase the odds of misunderstanding is in their best long term interests.
    I was talking about this to Mrs Causecelebre the other day. I can imagine very soon wearing my head phones and having direct translation when conversing with another language speaker in real time